MRE Storage

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Sharpie44, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Sharpie44

Sharpie44 Monkey++

I was thinking about braking my MRE's down into there components. I have 10 in the big sealed packages. i was thinking about braking them down so that I could fit a few more in the drawer that I keep them in. I live in an apartment so space is an issue.

Any reason not to do this?

2. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I have a few cases of MRE Entrees ('main meal' only) stored in larger plastic bags. I try one every few months, and have had them a little more than two years now. Not a problem. I keep them in my "Preps closet" with other boxed canned goods, and my camping gear. Just make sure you have no mice - they can chew right through the plastic.

3. Sharpie44

Sharpie44 Monkey++

Nope no mice here. The Ferret would be on them like white on rice.

4. TenGrit

TenGrit Monkey++

When I break down MREs for patrols/convoys I remove the outer bag (save it to put everything back in, it useful for disposing of wastes in a hide) and take the boxes off of all the packages. Remove all the condiments/wetnap/TP/coffee and put them together in a single ziploc bag. Tape the main dish, the side/dessert, and a spoon together and put it back in the bag. Fold the bag over and tape it shut.

You can now fit 3-4 meals in the space of one manufacturer packed MRE.

5. magnus392

magnus392 Field Marshall Mags Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I've had an MRE in my truck for over a year and it was good today when I ate.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7