1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

MRE Storage

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Sharpie44, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Sharpie44

Sharpie44 Monkey++

I was thinking about braking my MRE's down into there components. I have 10 in the big sealed packages. i was thinking about braking them down so that I could fit a few more in the drawer that I keep them in. I live in an apartment so space is an issue.

Any reason not to do this?
  2. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Adventure Riding Monkey Founding Member

I have a few cases of MRE Entrees ('main meal' only) stored in larger plastic bags. I try one every few months, and have had them a little more than two years now. Not a problem. I keep them in my "Preps closet" with other boxed canned goods, and my camping gear. Just make sure you have no mice - they can chew right through the plastic.
  3. Sharpie44

Sharpie44 Monkey++

Nope no mice here. The Ferret would be on them like white on rice.
  4. TenGrit

TenGrit Monkey++

When I break down MREs for patrols/convoys I remove the outer bag (save it to put everything back in, it useful for disposing of wastes in a hide) and take the boxes off of all the packages. Remove all the condiments/wetnap/TP/coffee and put them together in a single ziploc bag. Tape the main dish, the side/dessert, and a spoon together and put it back in the bag. Fold the bag over and tape it shut.

You can now fit 3-4 meals in the space of one manufacturer packed MRE.
  5. magnus392

magnus392 Field Marshall Mags Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I've had an MRE in my truck for over a year and it was good today when I ate.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary