MRE's, yes or no?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Oddcaliber, Mar 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

How would you rate the quality of that brand? Specifically the food and the other gear? I have heard mixed reviews, and the one person I know who has purchased them hasn't tried any of it out yet!
    I know the Red Cross version is So-So, but don't remember the brand or supplier!

oldman11 likes this.
  2. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Cold weather MREs are a lot better if you can get your hands on a few of them

oldman11 and Ura-Ki like this.
  3. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

I would encourage caution buying MREs as many for sale, especially at army surplus stores, are old. Be certain they are new.

Second concern is MREs don’t have a long shelf life. 5 years plus if stored in cool stable temps and can drop to 24-36 months or less if stored in hot temperatures.

However they are very handy and I keep 2-3 cases of 12 A-Packs on hand and throw a case in the truck or car whenever we travel somewhere.

I have become a fan of the Ameriqual A-Packs as they are mostly US GI MRE content, include heaters and are about 1/2 to 2/3 the price of genuine MREs. I have eaten these many times and they aren’t too bad.

Here is a link to a previous post on A-Packs.
    Amazon investigating MRE-like meals

Bon a petit
    AT

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    Zimmy, Brokor and Ura-Ki like this.
  4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

AlaskaChick bought them, last time she was back at MDs w/o Boarders HQ, in NYC.... She thought that they would be good for the Truck... She bought a case of 4... We decided Two for the Truck, and two for the Instant EFR... (Emergency Food Rations) for the Cabin... these backup a BIG Box of Mountain House crap, that has been sitting in the pantry for almost a Decade, if I remember right... We practice the philoophy of “Three is Two, abd Two is One, and One is You is done....” She likes to experiment with new ideas, and products... Sometimes it works out, and sometimes it doesn’t...

Zimmy and Ura-Ki like this.
  5. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

I tried the MRE (star) and didn't like them much, I much prefer the ones in the white box, more like the military from Home - Meal Kit Supply

Ura-Ki likes this.
  6. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Add Spam and you're good to go for the apocalypse.

Zimmy, Ura-Ki, Oddcaliber and 3 others like this.
  7. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

MRE cases have a lot of junk in them. I periodically buy the MRE entrees only, and build from there.
    The only flavor I cannot stand is "Jamaica Beef" - they are foul!

Ura-Ki and Brokor like this.
  8. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

YES! I've been buying a lot of Jamaican beans and rice freeze dried meals to go with the bacon Spam.
    (Brand: Backpacker's Pantry)

Guys, don't buy actual military MRE's secondhand, please. Some members already mentioned Ameriqual brand and entree packs, that's where it's at. You can find these online. You can also buy XMRE's from Safecastle

Ganado, Ura-Ki and Oddcaliber like this.
  9. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

During a natural disaster FEMA hands out thousands of MRE's. You can drive up and they will give you a case at a time per family member. Also, need it or not, people will take anything that is free during the recovery period so a lot of the MRE's go in the trash or are sold for $10 a case or less. There is a class of people who will drive from distribution center to distribution center getting anything and everything that is being give away. It is a real problem the second or third day in. So, if you are looking to buy some cheap, look at Craig's list in a disaster zone.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    Motomom34, Oddcaliber and Ura-Ki like this.
  10. JC Refuge

JC Refuge Emergency Essentials Store Vendor

thanks Asia-Off-Grid
    We have ton of options available and in stock You may start by looking at our Mountain House stock Click here our prices are lowest in the industry our prices are at 35-51% off. Note that Pouches till recently were tested for 12 year shelf life but recent testing has tested for 15 yr shelf life. One of the most popular kit is the MH 14 day kit its in stock and fresh in stock.
    Mountain house also comes with #10 cans they have tested for 30 years. Check out here Note that we don't sell by individual cans but a case of 6 is the best way to go.

If you are planning for long term best value for money is the 70 cases listing

Other notable item we have is the Military Surplus. These are produced for US military and items are surplus are put in the market and our supplier acquires it for us exclusively. We have ton of these in stock and selling fast. As you can imagine these are hard to find and we only get limited stock. Check out all items in stock here. We have chicken , ham , beef and Salmon. These ones we sell as individual cans as well as cases. On these our members save extra. Do not miss.

Happy to answer any questions you may have.

11. Navyair

Navyair Monkey++

Only thing to be careful of is real MRE's (can't speak to the civilian ones) are temperature sensitive. Need to be stored in a basement type environment. 65f or so to last 5-8 yrs depending upon the meal itself. Stored in a car, you're probably going to be eating something nasty after as little as 6 months. Those of you storing them long term in your car might give them a try and see if they are still edible (...more important, making sure they are SAFE to eat). Your mileage may vary here...last thing I'd want in a survival situation was a case of mummy tummy, turkey trots, Texas two step....;)

The one thing we did during Desert Storm was set up a big box. When you got something you didn't like, you could toss the entree in the box, and get something (maybe) that you liked...likewise, if you needed more cheese and crackers or some other side, there were always extras.

I carry an empty new paint can which I made into a rocket stove (get 'em at almost any paint/big box store) and I pack survival gear in them for every vehicle.

12. JC Refuge

JC Refuge Emergency Essentials Store Vendor

Thank you for your valuable comment Navyair.
    Ideally, you should store your food at 60° F for the longest shelf life possible, which is typically 5 years. This time decreases as the temperature of your storage area increases. If you were to store your MREs at room temperature (70° F), they would last for about 3 years.

Ganado likes this.
  13. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

This thread made me think about what I have scattered around. I'm sure there are some in the barn that are pre-Y2K. A case or two of Arctic rations I carried back from Norway, and a few more recent (less than 10 years old) cases from Knob Creek. I couldn't buy them on base when I was on active duty without a letter to carry to supply. Any that are available near the base probably fell off a truck. ;)

14. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I'm a no on MRE's, too much mystery meat

15. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

I have about fifteen cases that are about twenty years old,dogs still love them. They still look ok to eat if I was really hungry.
    [flag][flag]

16. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Anything is "Good to Eat" if you are REALLY HUNGRY.....

17. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

You just have to balance them out as you eat them. Some will stop you up and some will make you go... Balance accordingly and you should be fine otherwise.....:(

18. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I am enjoying a "Cheese Tortellini in Tomato Sauce" entree for dinner today. Heated up in my BaroCook flameless cooker - uses a chemical heater similar to GI MRE heater.

oldman11 likes this.
  19. Capt. Tyree

Capt. Tyree Hawkeye

[peep]
    Agree with your reservations about "Jamaica Beef" MRE entre packet tastiness.(y) Back during the Hurricane Ike aftermath in 2008 here in the Houston area, we were without electric utility for 16 days. (Had a 5.5KW portable genny that got a good workout during those days. The freezer, fridge, and recharging the cell phones were priorities as I rationed my available gasoline supply.)

Had lots of MRE entres to choose from to supplement the food available in our house, including "Jamaican Beef". Used the backyard gas grill to make egg, onion, cheese, and "Jamaica Beef" omelets for my son and me. It was fairly tasty (sort of a Cajun flavor) in that kind of situation, especially for days full of cutting fallen tree branches, and making general repairs around the house while waiting on better news on when the electric utilities would be restored.

As darkness approached after a hard day's work, a bourbon and cola over some precious-to-make ice cubes was a fitting way to relax, and prepare for another night of pure darkness "in the neighborhood".[peep]

Seawolf1090 likes this.
  20. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I keep a couple in my desk. I strip them when I put them in there. Crackers and milkshakes are always a hit. The apprentice and I eat random parts when he's broke and I don't have leftovers.

oldman11 likes this.
  1. JC Refuge
  2. JC Refuge
  3. Coyote Ridge
  4. DKR
  5. Tackleberry
  6. Imasham
  7. -06
  8. VisuTrac
  9. monkeyman
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7