Multi Camera security system

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by fl4848, May 26, 2022.

1. fl4848

fl4848 Monkey+

I was recently thinking that it might be a good idea to install a multi camera security system. The type they have in prisons where you can see multiple rooms at one time.

Has anyone done this? If so, is there a product that you'd recommend? Thanks!!

2. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

Yep done it .. .. nope all uv da cheap ones send da data ta cloud servers in chin_ .. ..

even da spensive ones has been compromised by chin_

fl4848 likes this.
  3. enloopious

enloopious Rocket Surgeon

fl4848 likes this.
  4. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Got a Samsung multi cam system...but no internet, bluetooth or lan connection to the outside world used. Been going strong for several years and have only had one camera die. Decent resolution and enough IR leds to give good nighttime images. Kind of a low-mid range setup.

fl4848 likes this.
  5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

or isn’t connected to the Internet… When I setup my old one, the video Sever had two CAT5 Connections with one for the Internet and a Private connection that had no connection to the Internet side e. cept thru a very robust one way Firewall.. To get to the Video side, you had to use an Encrypted LogIn to the Firewall, and then supply a local Encrypted Password, to connect to the Video…. Yea, a PIA, but it kept the Chinese out, and the Letters Outfits as well…

fl4848, Tully Mars and enloopious like this.
  6. sec_monkey

fl4848 likes this.
  7. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

fl4848 likes this.
  8. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

1. ipcamtalk.com is your best resource. I'll suggest Blue Iris below, but the forum covers the ins and outs of all types of systems

2. Blue Iris is the best NVR software and can "talk" to any industry standard camera so you aren't locked into a proprietary brand. BI also easily integrates to free AI add ons that help to prevent false positives. BI can be purchased at a discount from ipcamtalk and they have a terrific wiki to show you how to identify and locate inexpensive computers that will support it. It also integrated to other systems like Home Assistant which can send alerts to your cell phone.

3. Run you cameras from a PoE switch that does not connect to the rest of your network, ET phone home cameras are now isolated from China. Your BI computer is dual homed to your home network and the PoE switch so the cameras can access it, and you can access the camera display web page from any computer on your network.

4. This setup will likely cost more than an "all in one" security camera system but is more secure, has better features like AI and Home Assistant integration. It's also WAY more expandable and can manage dozens of cameras if needed and your hardware is powerful enough.
    In addition to ipcamtalk chack out "The Hookup" on YouTube he does a LOT of security camera videos and I used his AI installation guide to set up my Blue Iris system
    https://www.youtube.com/c/TheHookUp

fl4848, Tully Mars and gunbunny like this.
  9. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Ours is a home built unit I guess you'd say. I can view multi screen or select a certain camera. Everything is backed to a CD/DVD for a certain number of days. We don't use wireless cameras nor is anything connected to the innerwebs. I use high end trail cams throughout the property for extended areas. While the cameras have IR, we have flood lights that are on as well as several really good solar flood lights that are set up for motion detection in the outer area, so the house cameras give good images all the way out the drive.

3M-TA3 and fl4848 like this.
  10. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

I recommend Solar powered motion lights, a roving rottweiler and japanese barberry.
    solar power will illuminate victim, romping rottweiler will either capture victim or run them into the thorny barberry.
    either way, they will not be back. Oh and if they do come back the Lymes disease from the deer ticks should slow them down enough for the rotty to have a chew.

11. fl4848

fl4848 Monkey+

Being that China has infiltrated all of these cameras, maybe a home built unit is the way to go. I guess I could get a cheap old school Lenovo laptop or something and a bunch of cameras and wire them throughout the house. Just need a lot of long wire.

Is there a certain software that you use to see multiple camera screens?

Is there a certain type of camera that you use? Not sure if those cameras could be compromised as well. I guess if it's wired, and the laptop doesn't have an internet connection, there's no way that they could hack it.

I like backing stuff up to CD/DVD for a couple of days. Not sure how you go about doing that.

Tully Mars likes this.
  12. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

You have to run Torch and see the ports they call home on and close the ports. They don't even try to hide it, the IPs they use are in China, so an easy find.
    I have BlueIris and also an all in one chinese box. BlueIris is very CPU dependent and the FPS has to be low if you are running multiple cams. The chinese 8 channel box has a TB drive and a main board the size of a deck of cards and does full 30 fps on my 6 cams without breaking a sweat. BlueIris is a much better program for ease of use and has a great GUI, but more and more I'm relying on the chinese box because I get much more resolution and a better frame rate.

3M-TA3 and Tully Mars like this.
  13. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

How is something like Simply Safe?

14. sec_monkey

[biggrouphug] yall

.. .. tis trash .. .. :( :( .. ..

Gator 45/70, Hanzo and 3M-TA3 like this.
  15. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Reason number 1 all wifi camera/security systems suck:

Reason number 2:

It also exposes your network to intrusion either via "ET Phone Home" from the device to the manufacturer, or the device itself is easily exploited.

Gator 45/70, Hanzo and sec_monkey like this.
  16. sec_monkey

.. .. yep yep .. .. [winkthumb] [winkthumb] .. ..

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  17. SelioDarvin

SelioDarvin Neophyte Monkey

It's definitely a good idea to think about home security, and a multi-camera system can be a great way to keep an eye on multiple rooms at once. While I don't have any personal experience with these types of systems, I'm sure there are plenty of products on the market to choose from. It might be worth doing some research and reading reviews from other homeowners who have installed similar systems. Also, keep in mind that a physical security system with a human element, like a security guard from a company such as Telohranitel, can also be a valuable addition to any home security plan. Here's a link to their website if you're interested: https://ohholding.com.ua/en/fizicheskaya-okhrana/telohranitel

Last edited: Feb 20, 2023
  18. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Gator 45/70 and Dunerunner like this.
  19. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Not so much Multi-Room, but multi-Point, Security Camera Systems that are Hard Wired to the Server, which is NOT Connected to the Internet, except thru an Encrypted Firewall/Routr on a separate IP VPN network… This gives one good Security that only you can access via the Encrypted VPN, and can not be raised thru Bluetooth or WiFi, locally.

20. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

The hard wired cameras glow in the dark looking at them with thermals.
    The battery powered ones, not so much.
    There you have it.

Cruisin Sloth and SB21 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7