My Black Berkeys keeps breaking!!!

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by CozyTeapot, Jul 7, 2011.

1. CozyTeapot

CozyTeapot Monkey+

I ordered an Imperial Berkey with 4 elements at the beginning of May. We decided to use 2 filters and keep 2 for storage. After about 3 weeks of use, out of the blue the water started filtering very fast so I tested and one of the filters was broken - red water dripping out.

I contacted the company I ordered from and they sent a replacement filter with a pre-paid shipping label to return the broken one. I tested the new filter and it was fine so we dried it out and stored it.

Now tonight the same thing has happened! Refilled the unit like we do every night and I noticed it filtering faster than normal. My daughter got some water and said it tasted like "sink water". So I did the red dye test again and both filters are broken. One is really dripping the red water, the other just has a hint of pink dripping from it.

This is so very discouraging. Has anyone else been having this problem with the filters? My husband wanted the Berkey for survival purposes but this is very unreliable and now he is talking of returning the whole thing and getting our $400 back. :(

2. Dovey

Dovey Monkey++

I have a Black Berkey. If I had it to do over again I'd take a closer look at AquaRain. Google them and compare them to a Berkey. I haven't looked at it in a while but I think they are cheaper than a Berkey and the filters have smaller pores than Berkey also their filters will fit in a Berkey.

I'm no expert on it but that is a place to start.

3. oth47

oth47 Monkey+

Filters screwed on too tight maybe?

4. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Hmmmm...something is definitely wrong here...I know of a number of people that had the OLD Berkey systems and upgraded to the newest black filters. No one has had such a problem that I know of...BUT then again, you never know what is happening! Unless it is a stress defect in the making of the ceramics, ( colling incorrectly and fracturing) my only idea is that when installed they crack. I hope this gets cleared up soon!
    Keep us posted on this one!

5. theberkeyguy

theberkeyguy Monkey+

The problem in relation to the black berkey elements has been corrected, and we recommend contacting the company you purchased them from, for another replacement. We are not sure why your 2nd set broke, but the new sets they have been sending have not failed in anyway.

theberkeyguy

6. CozyTeapot

CozyTeapot Monkey+

Thanks everyone. So far the filters that have failed are all from the first order we made in May - we got 4 filters and 3 of them have died. I contacted the company and they are sending 2 new ones. The rep said this is extremely rare. I'm a little concerned about that 4th filter from the initial order, but considering how fast the others failed, I'm sure if it's going to it will be within the 6-month time frame to have it replaced for free.

I've been so spoiled by the wonderful taste of the Berkey water that I don't want to be without it now! :)

7. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Been using blacks for @ 4 yrs with no problems. Had one come unglued from the attaching screw plate but I just clear siliconed it back. Will be ordering two more sets asap. One for storage and one for a "home made" filter rig from 5 gallon buckets. The buckets will fit inside each other and protect the filters till needed. The top will fit onto the bottom bucket with the filters attached to the bottom of the top bucket. Should make a "jam up" camping/BO filter. Add a third bucket to the "stack" and you have a water carrier, wash bucket, etc. With them fitting inside each other they will not take up much room till needed.

8. whofarted

whofarted Monkey+

just an FYI since i got mine replaced all seems well. ;)

9. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Nice!
    Now I feel better about my order!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7