My Bread Journey - Sourdough and Others

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Bear, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Motomom34, Brokor and ghrit like this.
  2. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Aloha Monkeys,

So I think @Ganado and @Motomom34 will like this... maybe even @Brokor ;)

More bear sour dough starterneglect and experimentation...

So I left what was left of the "beastly" starter out after feeding it... neglected it for about 4 days on the counter with no feeding...

Then started to smell something...

Yeah... you know that smell after a 10-12 hour day and then 4-6 hours out with the rest of the bear buddies... you know when you take off your shoes and you don't even want to touch your socks....

Yup... first time that starter has had even a hint of a sour or vinegar smell.... but this was rank!

I killed it!...

But what the heck... let's see if we can bring it back to life.... first few days and feeding... no sign of life and that vinegar smell is only getting stronger....

Yup... it's dead... not even the fluid or the black sludge on top... just a sour sour sour vinegar smell... YUCK!

Guess what... it started bubbling... and rising on the 3 day.... ;)

Still had that strong smell but you know what... I figured I'd try to make bread with it... I mean... it's bubbling ... so maybe it will make bread rise... right?????

Yup... it worked... and it looks great and tastes great!!!!!!! one for my family and one for my Uncle... after I tasted it of course and made sure I didn't gag, or upchuck or die from any poisoning... everyone still alive today... so it's a go ;)

Even a bear can't kill sour dough starter!

Have a great Sunday all!

Take Care and God Bless,

Bear

Cornbread and @Hanzo bannock is next....

DSCF9319.JPG

DSCF9320.JPG

DSCF9325.JPG

DSCF9322.JPG

DSCF9323.JPG

DSCF9327.JPG

3. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Looks like the best one yet.

Bear likes this.
  4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I don't know what to say. Does your Uncle know what you put in that bread? @Bear you have created a whole new world in the sour dough field. I always saw it as happy bubbling stuff that made great bread. Never knew about the dark smelling, slimy- LOL! men's smelly sock side. shutters..........

Hanzo, Bear and Ganado like this.
  5. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Lol We will say 'we knew you when' bear will be a famous sour dough bread maker 'Bear's sour socks bread'

Bear and Motomom34 like this.
  6. Bear

Yup... @Hanzo .... these are looking quite nice... inside too ;)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  7. Bear

Speechless huh @Motomom34 ????? yeah... sometimes the things I make have that effect on sensible reasonable folks... you're ok....

Nope... no one knows but you guys... are you kidding????.... think they would eat it???? our little secrets.... shhhhhh......

Yeah ... chewing on a man's warm moist smelly sock.... doesn't that sound yummy????

LOL... should I go find a picture or do you get the visual fine without it???

Have a great Sunday!

Take Care and God Bless,

Bear

Motomom34 likes this.
  8. Bear

LOL... @Ganado want me to send you a loaf????? gonna send one to my Sister in San Antonio... she wants to try it ;)

HMMMMMM..... Sour Socks Bread.... kind of has a ring to it... @melbo should trademark that as additional income and fame for the SM forum..... I've got the starter... we'll all be rich and famous!!!!!!!!

Seriously though... @Ganado any idea what that sour vinegar warm pickle smell is? it's not the pleasing yeasty smell it used to have...

Should I worry about it getting hairy, sprouting limbs and a face and walking around the house at night?????????

Have a great Sunday!

Take Care and God Bless,

Bear

Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  9. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Must be his new jock and sock bread. Now that's sour!! A little less sour than that for me pleas, @Bear.

Motomom34 likes this.
  10. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I think you are safe, when you bake it, it kills all the bugs. It might
    need more sugar or it could be too acid if it smells like sour pickles.

if I can make a suggestion: take half and add sugar or honey or molasses something sweet and the other half add 1/2 teaspoon baking soda and see which one salvages. along with flour

EDIT: Here is the best explanation of sourdough starting and easy maintenance I have ever read. And it turns out you can start sourdough from almost any fermentation. This is new info which I liked and it makes sense.

Sourdough Starter, Gluten-Free - Art of Gluten-Free Baking

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
    Brokor and Motomom34 like this.
  11. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

dang, Bear, it looks like you can't kill your starter even if you tried.........and I can't keep a starter going worth a darn. Ain't fair! LOL

That bread looks outstanding.

Kajun

Bear, Hanzo and Ganado like this.
  12. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

After my lunch with @Bear today, he was kind enough to share his family's loaf of sourdough bread with me. I had some before lunch and it wasn't very sour. Certainly not what I thought from the description. And because it wasn't super sour, I am pretty sure he didn't give me the jock and sock bread, because that one would have been too sour.

He gave me about half a loaf, and between the little monkey and me, there is only a small piece left.

After we got home, we had a couple of slices toasted and buttered with Irish butter. Super good. Then, I sprinkled a little sea salt on top. Now it is way super good. While it still isn't very sour, the salt brought out the taste, including the sour a little more. YUM!

After soccer practice, I made tuna melts with sourdough bread. That was really good. Even the big monkey had one. And she does not like sourdough.

Dinner

[​IMG]

Ganado and kellory like this.
  13. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

@Bear sourdough is toast. Literally and figuratively. All gone.

14. Bear

Aloha @TXKajun .... LOL.... yup just smells like feet... yikes! not sure now... it's been in the fridge since weekend.... hope that's gone away...

Keep trying... I'm doing all I can to see how tough starter is...

But check out this video on "Leaven" or starter... and how they store it... they store it in salt!

Guess what I'm going to try next ;)

LOL... @Ganado and @Motomom34 ... Sour Socks Sour Dough didn't kill anyone yet... even @Hanzo (and I made sure to check on him ;) )

Anyway... enjoy the video... good stuff! been watching a bunch of their videos on bread and other cooking... yeah... bears like to eat!

Have a great day everyone!

Take Care and God Bless,

Bear

Motomom34, Ganado and Hanzo like this.
  15. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Hanzos be hard to kill...

Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  16. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I noticed this thread was featured and that it was 2015 when Bear made this thread. Then realized I have not made a sourdough starter in years. Time to practice that skill.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    Yard Dart and Ganado like this.
  17. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

bump @bears thread is still a really great thread

Brokor likes this.
  18. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Featured it again, so no need to bump now. ;)

Ganado likes this.
  19. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

oh ok I was looking for the thread where we were discussing nutritional yeast vs brewer's yeast and saw this one

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7