My EOTWAWKI Bar-b-que pit

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by ~kev~, Sep 20, 2006.

1. ~kev~

~kev~ Monkey+++

Here ya go guys, this is my shtf and eotwawki bar-b-que pit. Its not finished yet, I still have to weld the smoke stack and grill supports in, plus a few more odds and ends. The cooking area is 6 feet long and 29 inchs across. I wanted something big enough I could cook a whole wild hog or deer on with no problems. The big tank is a 250 gallon butane tank and the firbox is an old air compressor tank. The firebox is 2 feet 6 inchs long and 24 inchs in diameter. I am going to cook the pit for at least 8 hours before putting any meat on it, plus I am gonna pressure wash it.

[​IMG]

2. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

kewl, puts my little grill to shame!!!!
    can't wait to see the finished item.

Ryan

3. yonder

yonder No Despot's Servant

Nice. If it were me (point of consideration) I would add some type of masonary hearth adjacent to it. Burn the logs down in the hearth and shovel the coals into the bbq pit. Cooking straight off the logs makes it too hard to control the temperature, requires a lot of babysitting, and frankly gives you more acrid smoke. The whispy smoke off the hot red coals on the other hand impart an excellent flavor to the meat and doesn't require as much babysitting.

The downside? It takes longer to cook. You can't be in a rush. While it's cooking you need to get in there every now and then and baste the meat to keep it moist.

This is the epitome of North Carolina BBQ. The pig is slow smoked in a pit about 18" or so over the hot coals, and mopped periodically with vinegar (or a vinegar-based sauce, depending on which part of the state you're talking about)

You know it's done when you go to "shake hands" with the carcass and the bone slides round out leaving the meat behind.

4. ~kev~

~kev~ Monkey+++

The fire will be built in the fire box on the right hand side. At no time will the meat be directly over the fire. The door on the firebox is going to be 14 inchs by 14 inchs square - that is a big piece of wood 14 x 14 x 2 feet long. Unless the design changes before the door gets welded on, that is what the plans are.

Also, the way this pit is set up, I will be able to up several gallons of water in the bottom of the main section, thus allowing me to steam and smoke the meat at the same time. The firebox is only open at the very top, allowing for about a foot and a half of water to by put in the bottom of the pit.

5. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

no matter how long it takes to barbecue I have enough beer to keep a 3 beer per hour pace up til morning. beer.....liquid bread

6. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Wow!!!!! Now that's a barbeque!!!!!:D

7. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Awesome pit. Big enough to make even a Texan proud. So when's the Bar-B-Que? :D

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7