My first BOBs

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Jeff Brackett, Jun 17, 2012.

1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Since they use the SAME chipset, as the Motorola Units, AND are Part 15 Devices, they will have the EXACT same Range Data as the Motorola Units using the Extended Range Antennas. Similar to the FRS Radios.

2. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I bought the TriSquares and used them in Iraq. They are very light weight and not rugged, despite any advertisements that may tell you otherwise. The rechargeable batteries are junk. Replacement high cap rechargeables are also junk. After only a few transmissions, the batteries are dead, after a few dozen charges, they won't last a few seconds. I fixed this by purchasing high quality AA rechargeable batteries (radios will allow switch between either) and they work much better. These are still not a preferred method, only a last resort communications option. The security and capabilities are very good. Range is nothing like advertised, I would say 1 mile maximum.

The iDen phones are far superior.

BTPost likes this.
  3. PAGUY

PAGUY Monkey

It looks like you have a good start to a basic kit. Your thought process of a kit inside a kit is along the lines that the boy scouts teach of "a bag full of bags" . This helps keep a thought process straight. Have you tested out your BOB yet on a trial run? Either a full fledge mock bug out or even a stay at home back yard weekend test will help you improve on your bags contents.

4. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Was laughing a bit, Jeff, when I was going through your thread. Not at you, for what you've built. Rather, for the fact that we almost matched each other, perfectly, in our choice of weapons! I, too, have the G17 pistol, the Cold Steel Kukri, and the GI Tanto knife (well, it's on its way!). The only difference is that I decided to go with the Zippo 4-in-1, since it offers me an axe, bow saw and mallet (plus tent stake puller :rolleyes: ) all in one tool.

5. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Zippo's hatchet-saw-mallet – the multitool for axe men

natshare likes this.
  6. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Oh, wanted to let you guys know, too (and will find the thread that someone put up for it, and update it with this info too).

I joined a site called dvor.com, a while back. They offer 7-10 types of deal categories, per day (for 3 days each), with the occasional week long deal category. It's usually just something I look through, determine that I either don't need it, don't want it, or can find it cheaper somewhere else.....but they had a helluva deal, yesterday, on this 4-in-1 Zippo tool.

This tool usually retails, online for $75 to $80, which was a bit more than I was really willing to spend (at least at this time). But dvor website had a Zippo category of deals yesterday, and had this on sale for $51!! They charge $9.95 shipping, but that's a flat-rate charge, and it's good all day long, so if you find other stuff you want to buy, lump it all into one day's worth of purchase (keeping in mind the 3-day limit for deals), and it all ships for that one shipping charge.

That puts this a good $14-$19 cheaper than anywhere else I could find it online. I added a Zippo lighter (always a good add to a BOB, since even if it runs out of lighter fluid, it still makes good sparks) and belt "holster" for it, and paid less than I would have, anywhere else, for the 4-in-1 tool by itself.
    [touchdown]

1. Alanaana
    Media

Hi_I'm_Carl

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jan 17, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. JC Refuge
  3. Alanaana
    Media

Gloves!

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jun 7, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Motomom34
  6. Coyote Ridge
  7. Ganado
  8. Coyote Ridge
  9. Coyote Ridge
  10. Coyote Ridge
  11. Coyote Ridge
  12. Coyote Ridge
  13. 3M-TA3
  14. hot diggity
  15. 3M-TA3
  16. OldDude49
  17. DKR
  18. Asia-Off-Grid
  19. Asia-Off-Grid
    [ATTACH]
    Thread by: Asia-Off-Grid, Jul 25, 2018, 10 replies, in forum: Humor - Jokes - Games and Diversions
  20. Thunder5Ranch
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7