Nalgene (Lexan) water bottles unsafe?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by melbo, Jun 1, 2006.

1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

[​IMG]
    Been reading up on this the past few days. Seems that polycarbonates have a chemical that is very similiar to synthetic Estrogen that can leach out into the food or water. The only article I could find that refutes the claim, doesn't say the chemical is not present but that the body gets rid of the toxin quickly... not sure I like that:

Nalgene Water Bottles Appear to be Unsafe:
    http://www.esc.mtu.edu/EarthWeek2006/nalgene_water.htm

UA prof refutes bottle toxicity:
    http://wc.arizona.edu/papers/98/14/01_1.html

more reading:
    lexan unsafe water - Google Search

I have an AquaRain gravity filter in Stainless,
    I just ordered one of these and am having some second thoughts right now:
    http://www.berkeylight.com/BerkeyLight/BerkeyLight.html
    [​IMG]

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Most plastics can and will absorb some things, and degrade with others. SS is best, and glass ain't bad, especially Pyrex or equal. Can't speak for Nalgene products, but betting that different products use different formula plastics. [gone]

3. BRONZ

BRONZ Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

uh I thought that was only when used with hot food or water.

4. melbo

Dunno BRONZ.
    Just got a Berkey Light as a backup to my Aquarain and was now concerned. Be interested in that Hot only thing... Might be something.

BRONZ, You should hook up with a NE guy to ride down tfor that ATV campout.... I know of 2 your way who are making the trip

5. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

When? Where?

6. melbo

7. E.L.

I have two, a 360 4x4 and a 650 4x4. I read through the posts, but what exactly are they going to be doing? Shooting drills, camping out and ATV riding? It sounds really interesting. Maybe we can hook up. I can't commit right now though, but I should know something in the near future.

8. melbo

Not really sure. I think ATVing to the camp site. A few seem do want to do shooting drills from them. I'll find out tomorrow when I call Tj

9. E.L.

If it something we can do maybe we can hook up and I will bring you the extra four wheeler.

10. BRONZ

BRONZ Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Would love to do the ATV camp but can't this summer. :(

11. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

What he said and will add that UV rays breakdown just about all plastics, which would probably help faciltate leeching of plastic into your water or food.

12. Infidel

Infidel Guest

it did say that they were washed with bleach to activate this decomposition did it not?

13. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

14. abacus

abacus Monkey+++

I've been using brunton and sigg aluminum flasks. Probably better than plastic?
    The ones made by brunton is coated inside, but I'm not sure if the coating is harmful...

15. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Would like to say that I would like to go camping in Oklahoma, but I would be LYING!!! We are packing today to get the hell out of this state. If someone says that the Lawton area would be cool, and we should really stay in these really cool looking spanish barracks, run! Really, run!

16. ghrit

Put a mouse in it, see if the anueuoplasty increases (whatever that might be.);)

17. abacus

abacus Monkey+++

But that would hurt the mouse... lol.

18. melbo

a fake mouse? wind up model...

19. ghrit

Only if --:eek:

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7