Nation wide test alert

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by Marvin L. Steinhagen, Oct 2, 2018.

1. In the event someone hasn't heard, there will be a nationwide test of a new alert system tomorrow. Every thing that can receive a text message will, cell phones smart phones, etc. Test is tomorrow, Wednesday 3, OCT at 2:18 EDT, (18:18 Zulu).

2. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

And as advertised by the "Libs" this is not a Trump Deal but another Media False Report.

[​IMG]
    Navigation
    Search
    Languages
    Main Content
    Nationwide Emergency Alert Test Planned for Oct. 3; Test Messages Will be Sent to Cell Phones, TV and Radio
    Release date:
    October 2, 2018
    Release Number:
    HQ-18-139
    WASHINGTON – FEMA, in coordination with the Federal Communications Commission, will conduct a nationwide test of the Emergency Alert System and Wireless Emergency Alerts on Wednesday, Oct. 3, 2018. The WEA portion of the test, which will be sent to consumer cell phones, will begin at 2:18 p.m. EDT. The EAS portion of the test, which will be sent to radio and television, will follow at 2:20 p.m. EDT. This will be the fourth nationwide EAS test and the first nationwide WEA test. In light of the upcoming test, the agencies share the following key informational points:

THE BASICS

• WHY: The purpose of the test is to ensure that EAS and WEA are both effective means of warning the public about emergencies, particularly those on the national level. Periodic testing of public alert and warning systems helps to assess the operational readiness of alerting infrastructure and to identify any needed technological and administrative improvements.
    • HOW: The EAS and WEA test messages will be sent using FEMA’s Integrated Public Alert and Warning System (IPAWS), a centralized Internet-based system administered by FEMA that enables authorities to send authenticated emergency messages to the public through multiple communications networks.
    • WHO: FEMA will administer the test, in cooperation with the FCC and the National Weather Service, and with the participation of the communications industry.
    • WHEN: October 3, 2018, beginning at 2:18 p.m. EDT on cell phones and 2:20 p.m. EDT on TV and radio. (This is the test back-up date; the test was previously postponed due to response efforts to Hurricane Florence.)
    NATIONWIDE ALERT TEST TO CELL PHONES

• THE WIRELESS ALERT TEST MESSAGE: The WEA test message will appear on consumers’ phones and read, “THIS IS A TEST of the National Wireless Emergency Alert System. No action is needed.” Phones will display this national test using the header “Presidential Alert.” These nationwide alerts, established pursuant to the WARN Act of 2006, are meant for use in a national emergency and are the only type of alert that can be sent simultaneously nationwide by FEMA.
    • RECIPIENTS: Many members of the public will receive the WEA test message on their cell phones. Specifically, beginning at 2:18 p.m. EDT, cell towers will broadcast the WEA test for approximately 30 minutes. During this time, WEA-compatible wireless phones that are switched on, within range of an active cell tower, and whose wireless provider participates in WEA, should be capable of receiving the test message. Wireless phones should receive the message only once.
    • BACKGROUND ON SYSTEM: The WEA system, launched in 2012, is used to warn the public about dangerous weather, missing children, and other critical situations through alerts on cell phones. Alerts are created and sent by authorized federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial governmental agencies through IPAWS to participating wireless providers, which deliver the alerts to compatible handsets in geo-targeted areas. To help ensure that WEA alerts are accessible to the entire public, including people with disabilities, WEA alerts are accompanied by a unique tone and vibration. The national WEA test will use the same special tone and vibration. In the event of a national emergency, a Presidential WEA alert would be issued at the direction of the President and/or his/her designee, and activated by FEMA.
    NATIONWIDE TV AND RADIO ALERT TEST

• TV & RADIO ALERT TEST: The EAS portion of the test is scheduled to last approximately one minute and will be conducted with the participation of radio and television broadcasters, cable systems, satellite radio and television providers, and wireline video providers (“EAS participants”).
    • THE TV & RADIO TEST MESSAGE: The EAS test message will be similar to the regular monthly EAS test messages with which the public is familiar. It will state: “THIS IS A TEST of the National Emergency Alert System. This system was developed by broadcast and cable operators in voluntary cooperation with the Federal Emergency Management Agency, the Federal Communications Commission, and local authorities to keep you informed in the event of an emergency. If this had been an actual emergency an official message would have followed the tone alert you heard at the start of this message. A similar wireless emergency alert test message has been sent to all cell phones nationwide. Some cell phones will receive the message; others will not. No action is required.”
    • BILINGUAL: The EAS test message will be transmitted in both English and Spanish, with EAS participants deciding which version to use for their communities.
    • BACKGROUND ON SYSTEM: Emergency alerts are created and sent by authorized federal, state, local, tribal and territorial government agencies. EAS participants receive the alerts through IPAWS or through local “over the air” monitoring sources. EAS participants then disseminate the emergency alerts to affected communities. The FCC prescribes technical and procedural rules for communications providers’ participation in this process.
    FEMA and the FCC have engaged in significant coordination with EAS participants, wireless providers, emergency managers, and other stakeholders in preparation for this EAS-WEA national test to minimize confusion and to maximize the public safety value of the test. The test is intended to ensure public safety officials have the methods and systems that will deliver urgent alerts and warnings to the public in times of an emergency or disaster, including requirements to help ensure that televised EAS messages are accessible to individuals with disabilities.

###

FEMA's mission is to help people prepare before, during and after disasters.

Follow FEMA online at www.fema.gov/blog, www.twitter.com/fema, www.twitter.com/FEMAespanol, https://www.facebook.com/FEMA, www.facebook.com/FEMAespanol and www.youtube.com/fema. Also, follow Administrator Brock Long’s activities at www.twitter.com/fema_brock.

The social media links provided are for reference only. FEMA does not endorse any non-government websites, companies or applications.

Last Updated:
    October 2, 2018 - 12:12

3M-TA3 and Dunerunner like this.
  3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I was reading about this and someone asked why 2:18? It is not even, it is a random number. Someone suggested Mr Donald John Trump was trying to send a message: John 2:18 Dear children, this is the last hour; and as you have heard that the antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have come. This is how we know it is the last hour.
    [tf]

Zimmy, Gator 45/70 and arleigh like this.
  4. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Wife got a text from her cell carrier at a little after 6AM this morning thanking her for her auto payment. Woke us up. Maybe that is the reason for the timing. Not too early, not too late.

Yard Dart and sec_monkey like this.
  5. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

People read too much into things these days.

Zimmy, Gator 45/70 and Motomom34 like this.
  6. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

all I can say - it should have tested last year already - the system has been ready and with something like this - tardy is always proven to be a killer in an emergency ....

this system is more complicated than it looks - lots of varied systems involved with all the carriers involved and phones >>>> bound to be problems found - fix them now!!!!

Motomom34 likes this.
  7. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Test , I didn't know there was a test , I didn't study . Is it multiple choice or essay , I'm always the last one to hear about it .
    07;15 am

8. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

:lol: I knew the opponents would have issue with receiving an alert from President Trump. Of course they will not destroy their phones, instead they filed a lawsuit. This is just insane..

Lawsuit seeks to stop FEMA's "Presidential Alert" system to cellphones citing First Amendment violation

Zimmy and mysterymet like this.
  9. HK_User

That's because they were too stupid to understand that this is not the first test and it was not a Trump Alert.

But Stupid is as Stupid Does.
    This would be the same group that would complain if they were awakened by a Tornado Siren.
    BTW this was implemented because of NO area wide coverage of Storm Alert Sirens.
    And those of us in the Rural Areas know the worth of such sirens.

Simple Don't Want it ? Put your phones in the Garage or THE STORM SHELTER and sleep well if you are a night worker.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    mysterymet and oldawg like this.
  10. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

That was f-ing weird.

Is mine the only one that says "all crime legal", no just kidding.

Zimmy, Yard Dart, mysterymet and 2 others like this.
  11. scpn

scpn Monkey+++

I had a couple of old phones without service turned on just to see if they would get the alert too. One did, a minute or so late, but that one is smart phone and it could have come through WIFI. The other, a flip phone did not. But even that one is supposed to still work with calling 911, I just can't test that.

12. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Must have got the other one... "Lock and load" [LMAO]

Zimmy, Brokor and Gator 45/70 like this.
  13. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Funny, I didn't get the text, but every one else around me did! Weird!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  14. HK_User

I was having a medical procedure and had my phone off, so problem solved. No message if phone is off.

Of course I have a phone that has a removable battery, so all those suckers that are walking around holding a phone all day long can just suck up their willingness to be tracked.

As an after thought: Think of the crying if all the smart phone holders were TOLD they had to walk around holding a Brick.

FOLKS you have willing started wearing the Mark of the Beast aka Cell Phone.

Yup the sheeple have been branded and brain washed.

john316, Brokor and Gator 45/70 like this.
  15. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Mine told me to send money to a Nigerian Prince. Turns out I'm an heir to an incredible fortune!

oldawg, Brokor, HK_User and 1 other person like this.
  16. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

The wife on her way to Orange beach texted me what that meant?
    I texted her back that someone had taken a dump on the beach and had covered it with his hat.
    Don't kick the hat!

oldawg, Brokor and HK_User like this.
  17. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I got two alerts... one to my Cellphone from the Tsunami Center (NOAA) and one to my Emergency eMail Address, by the NWS (National Weather Service) ..... I am a Wx Reporter for them...

Zimmy and Gator 45/70 like this.
  18. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I've been here nearly 45 years now. About the only thing that's going to happen is we're heading into another "Cold War" where FEAR takes firm hold of people and common sense EVAPORATES..."bigly".

19. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I got an amber alert ,but that was it.

Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
  20. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I am personally SICK of the air raid sirens in my area. Every little old lady who falls down or smells gas sets the damn sirens off. EVERY 9-1-1 call sets the sirens off. There are days when you can't even carry out a conversation because the damn sirens are blaring. Now, in the event of an actual emergency event....we're screwed. Nobody cares now. Stupid sirens going off every damn day.

Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7