National Preparedness Month- Prepared, Not Scared

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Motomom34, Sep 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

September is National Preparedness month. It is the month that governmental agencies try and raise awareness of how vital it is to be prepared. This years theme is Prepared, Not Scared. Even though I am prepared, I always go over the weekly FEMA weekly recommendations.

NPM_Weekly_Themes_Graphic - Copy.

This week is Make a Plan to Prepare for Disasters. I have done this, have had a plan for years but it is a good time to review my plan. Since I started this life style so much has changed, even our family dog has changed since I joined the monkey. I am currently packing up and moving (again) this month. My plan preparedness plan needs to be revised.

This morning that the Home Shopping Network was doing their part for National Preparedness month. They were selling buckets of food, stressing how important it is for people to have food in case their family is involved in a disaster.

IMG_1313.

2. Wow, I never thought I would see anything useful on HSN.

3. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Another reminder that should not be ignored...

4. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Also a good time to check fro FAK for expired meds

techsar, oldawg, mysterymet and 2 others like this.
  5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

You are very correct. I just found a box of yellowed band-aids that had lost their stickiness.

I thought it was great. Those two ladies were selling all sorts of FD foods. They laid out all sorts of scenarios that one may need emergency food. Perfect timing because people still have hurricane Dorian on their mind and after seeing pictures of the Bahamas, I think many are thinking "what if... "

Magdala_Buckley, tacmotusn and Ura-Ki like this.
  6. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

My present plan for SHTF is to die. Just think that anyone left is going to be useless and bothersome.

7. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

It is a good idea not to toss expired meds. Certain ones like liquid insulin which require constant refrigeration yes, might be ones to toss, but most meds still work years and years beyond their expiration date. I keep my old ones in insulated coolers in a well insulated space. Old pain pills have come in handy a time or 3 when in serious pain or sick. They scare the hell out of me and use them so sparingly when they prescribed after being injured or operated on that I always have extras.

8. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Buy lots of what ever the government wants to ban.

9. One of my hs classmate's mom nearly bankrupted their family due to a HSN addiction, so I have a negative association with them. Still, it is great that they are reaching people who probably would never think about preparedness. I definitely give them credit for that.

Motomom34 likes this.
  10. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

This subject has come up on a company wide weekly training bulletin here. I think I'm covered!

1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Yard Dart
  3. Yard Dart
  4. fl4848
  5. Motomom34
  6. Motomom34
  7. Yard Dart
  8. Yard Dart
  9. Yard Dart
  10. Coyote Ridge
  11. Meat
  12. Meat