Need Help Discouraging Strangers

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Motomom34, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I need suggestions on discouraging people from stopping and thinking they can just come into my yard or asking for directions. Yesterday some guy backed into my driveway, got out of his car and headed across my lawn. I asked him where he was headed and said he was interested in a piece of equipment that was in my front yard. I said I didn’t know him and he responded that he was just driving around looking at places. He offered to buy what was in my yard and I said no. He walked over to my shed and started looking at was hanging on the side and I told him he needed to go. He handed me a slip of paper with his name and number and said to call him if I wanted to sell the piece and left. This all made me uncomfortable. It is a quiet area and many times people stop, say they are lost or ask directions. I want this to stop. After reading RH’s thread on safety and yesterday’s incident, I need to do something so people will keep going. Are there signs or fake cameras that would cause people to think, “That is an unfriendly place”?

2. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

3. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

Dogs.

Unfortunately we live right across from an elementary school most of the year. Parents literally park in my yard to wait to pick up their "walker" kids because they don't want to wait in line to do it where they should. The principal is a cold... um... fill in the blank. The police apparently can't do anything. My neighbors and I have fought for years to get this resolved. Nada.

No way I have anyway of fighting this. There is just no way but to constantly confront these assholes and then listen to their shit. I'm not built that way and would need a lot more meds to do it.

Got an "ex" marine that won't quit right behind us. Maybe he can get 'r done.

Sorry. Unauthorized trespass hits a nerve with me.

ExHelot, Brokor, CATO and 1 other person like this.
  4. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

First off, you can post no trespassing signage, signs like the above.... or that the property has CCTV monitoring, as well as the standard security system warning signs. You should also have the 12 gauge in your hand or that 9mm on the hip... that should be discouraging enough.... you do need to have some form of protection readily available!!
    Have you thought of having a good dog that is intimidating around?!

wnn, Tully Mars, Georgia_Boy and 4 others like this.
  5. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

Were you outside when he backed into the drive? If not I'd say he was there to steal, not to deal. There are a lot of people around here who troll neighborhoods looking for Curb Alerts, and some of them will claim anything that isn't nailed down. CCTV will spook some of them, provided they see the cameras and can't figure a way around them. I used to have trouble with traveling salesmen until I got my Dobie. They make it halfway up the drive now and quickly change their minds, that dog is freaking terrifying when he sees strangers coming, ha.

If people were parking IN MY YARD I think I would develop a nasty habit of leaving boards full of nails lying around where they like to park.

BTW, did you do a 411 on his phone number? I'd be curious to see if it was even a valid number.

Sassenach, Tully Mars, 3M-TA3 and 2 others like this.
  6. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I was inside and had no clue until the dog started barking, then my child yelled that someone was in our yard. Our big dog died, he was so friendly. We had one dog that we got from the pound but he went after one of the kids and no more used dogs after that.

I will look for signs. But do people really respect No trespassing signs? We have a No Soliciting sign at work and no one pays attention to it.

7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

A good No Trespassing Sign, that states "Violators will be SHOT" post at the Property Line ought to do the Job for normal Folks... Pushy Folks need to be met with a Shotgun, in one hand, and a "Hey, what the Hell do you think your doing?" Question, Right Off....
    and depending on their response, You may just want to change your grip on the shotgun, to TWO Hands.....
    I find that the former works pretty good, around here, and the later, will certainly make ANYONE Pause, if you have to switch to a Two Handed Carry....

8. Yard Dart

I do not know how big your driveway is but would a gate be warranted? Have you thought about enhancing your fencing on the front yard area if it is wide open? If nothing else, the fencing would drive them to a specific opening that can create a choke point for those on foot.... allowing you to control the direction they come from.

You can also set up sensors that can alarm inside the house if someone crosses whatever outdoor threshold you want to cover with something like this:
    Guardline 1000 ft Range Wireless Driveway Alarm Set - GadgetShack

Think about exterior flood lights on motion detectors as well.

Attached Files:

stg58, Tully Mars and Motomom34 like this.
  9. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

[​IMG]

VHestin, KAS, ditch witch and 5 others like this.
  10. Yard Dart

I definitely agree with BT!!

Depending on the local laws in your AO, proper signage will enable you to protect your property and stay within the legal boundaries... especially if shot's are fired or a dog bites someone. You then at least have a legal basis that they were properly notified that they were on private property. Check your local ordinances... some require a sign to be posted every so many feet, to be within compliance.

11. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

On a lighter note, fake surveillance cameras can offer some deterrent as can an infra red driveway alarm that lights up the yard perimeter and driveway at night.

I do agree that a large dog works well also.

Personally, I would install a stylish electric gate across my driveway and fence the yard with a nice ornamental iron fence.

[​IMG]

12. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Signage first. If it's ignored,take a picture of the trespasser, then take the shottie in two hands. If he runs, call the cops and make a report, with the pic. If he doesn't run, do what needs done then call the cops.

Motomom34 likes this.
  13. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Gate works for me and the CATTLEMAN'S POSTED sign.

Check out what is required in your area in the way of signage.

In my state you do not need signs to be legal, but you do need a fence and a gate, to cross without permission is an automatic trespass.

Then when someone trespasses simply call the cops as you walk out the door. Have a weapon ,concealed, you trust and then start taking pictures with a recording movie camera and make sure you use the words "you are trespassing and I have called the police. Be sure and get the License Plate in the picture and then actually call the police and press charges.

The word will get out.

14. Yard Dart

When we first moved into our new office years ago, we had several service vans broke into within a week of being here. I mounted two fake cameras in regular outdoor camera enclosures, aimed like they were real and monitoring the area. We have never had another break in since we mounted those cameras. They still are hanging up there..... doing nothing.... yet a great deterrent to most thieves!!

15. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I am kind of concerned about stepping out with a shotgun in my hands. Wielding a weapon is a no no. A daughter of a co-worker had a stranger banging on her door and answered holding a pistol. The stranger made a call and the cops came. Then took the pistol back to the station. It was a mess. I would need to check local laws but the LEO frown on that.

16. HK_User

A good trail camera that you move about the yard works well too.

Let it be known that you have other cameras covering the area and in a cross cover of your KNOWN Camera, then let it be known that you move the cameras in a random fashion.

Of course this means you actually talk to perps, like the School Parkers.

Motomom34, Tully Mars and Yard Dart like this.
  17. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

Punji pits...?

CrufflerJJ, Sassenach, Mike and 2 others like this.
  18. HK_User

Motomom34
    Banging on the door is an automatic call to the police.

Do not open the door.

I have on occasion had unknown people set at my front gate. Sooner or later they leave, never had one open the gate and come in.

madmax
    Some states have egress and ingress laws check with your councilman about the school problem, the principal could care less and does not have the authority to tell any one not to park in your driveway.

Motomom34
    Disturbing the peace is a very effective charge if handled correctly and easier to prove than trespass in some states.

19. Yard Dart

Of course the LEO's would frown on it.... they think they should be the one to protect you. But, they will show up in time to write a report and collect evidence & the bodies IMO. Your safety #1, is by you.... if the LEO gets there in time great, but if not, you are on your own till then, and that is the mindset you should have.... you have to be ready to defend life and property as you see fit.

"Colorado has a castle law. The statute states that “any occupant of a dwelling is justified in using any degree of physical force, including deadly physical force, against another person when that other person has made an unlawful entry into the dwelling, and when the occupant has a reasonable belief that such other person has committed a crime in the dwelling in addition to the uninvited entry, or is committing or intends to commit a crime against a person or property in addition to the uninvited entry, and when the occupant reasonably believes that such other person might use any physical force, no matter how slight, against any occupant.”

Brokor, Motomom34, Tully Mars and 2 others like this.
  20. HK_User

BTW, the new PC Buzz Word for thief is "SALVAGER".

Most cops get the point and will be more helpful than calling some not yet proved to be a thief a "SALVAGER".

Had some "SALVAGERS" busted in another county after they did 100s of K worth damage to public buildings. Cameras did the trick.

ditch witch and Motomom34 like this.
  1. Ganado
  2. oldman11
  3. deMolay
  4. HK_User
  5. Motomom34
  6. Motomom34
  7. Motomom34
  8. BelBol
  9. Bishop
  10. Yard Dart
  11. Asia-Off-Grid