Need Help Discouraging Strangers

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Motomom34, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

I eat strangers and enjoy protecting my moms rusty tools.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Georgia_Boy, Motomom34, KAS and 6 others like this.
  2. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

i agree with the fence and rottwieler 100%
    but u must be sure that when your rottwieller runs at someone 100 miles and hour it doest stop at the feet and roll over to have her belly rubbed...

We say in livingston parish LA a good way to keep someone out of your back yard is to hand someone in your front yard...

Next time tell the guy to leave . if he dont leave help .. with a bat or shovel......
    But remember you only want one story no witnesses ... make sure he cant talk ... and when the cops show turn them tears on ... i know all you ladys can do it !!!!!

Motomom34 likes this.
  3. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Well, I decided to ignore all sound reasoning and establish blank 12 ga. shotgun-shell perimeter alarms and secondary, inside the gate alarms inside canisters of chalk dust and cayenne pepper. A couple weeks ago, while off-shore on a diving survey, the alarm company called to report my burglar alarm was going off and did I want them to call the police? I couldn't get to shore to beat the police there so I called my office and sent a posse to warn the police about the booby-traps. They arrived way ahead of the constabulary and avoided a potentially amusing event with possibly serious repercussions.

4. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

they aint your barges and tug sunk out there off of pascagula rite now are they ?

5. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

It shouldn't be legal to bait them....
    *sigh*

6. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Not mine, haven't heard anything about them yet.

7. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Motomom34... I keep thinking about this from the female perspective... No offense to the guys but there are things a guy can do that as a woman can't because certain types of men misinterpret you actions.

BTW just to be clear there isn't anything wrong with the guy approaches.... It's just different for women and especially a woman alone with kids when you guys are off earning the bacon.

The multiple layer approach seems best.

I know from experience that gates and signs dont always work. Even really good security fencing won't stop the determined f-idiots. And really big Fence make the local LEO's nervous unless they know what ''s going on and why you have a big fencw/gate.

Fences/gates are a good start as you need the 'legal' postings because as a society we are still pretending to be civilized so your place has to follow the rules as well for now.

Dogs are good too again with signs for legal liability reasons.

Local LEO's another layer.

Doesn't seem to be any one good solution especially if you want to keep low profile and stay out of legal battles

tulianr and Motomom34 like this.
  8. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

A layered approach to security is always best. I would never rely on one thing or another as a fail-safe, when it comes to home security and the well being of the family.

9. Mike

Mike Ol' Army Sergeant Monkey

Spoken like a good 1st Cav'er

10. Mike

Mike Ol' Army Sergeant Monkey

Just a suggestion on the parents parking issue.... large rocks .... all over the area where they can pull off.

as to the folks coming up your drive, a sign at the entrance road saying they are on camera and will be prosecuted for trespass is a decent deterent

tulianr and Motomom34 like this.
  11. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Stayed at a camp ground once with the family and dogs.. Put one of the dogs on a lead and took him to the "Doggy" area.. On the way back to the trailer, I got into a conversation with a man and my leash pal cocked his leg and relieved himself on the fellow's leg.. Dogs can communicate very well sometimes.. He did that on some fishing poles one day when we where taking in way more beer than fish..
    Dogs can only be a warning or a means of slowing down an advisary.. You need to be ready to deal with a threat to you.. Situational awarness includes keeping distance and obstacles between you and the threat.. And have that weapon ready!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
    Mike, Motomom34, Tully Mars and 2 others like this.
  12. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Is this know as the 'pee test'? ;)

Motomom34, Tully Mars and KAS like this.
  13. The Duece

The Duece Monkey

I agree dogs are a fantastic early warning and usually a good judge of character,the first time a friend of mine met my dogs he was in remission from cancer,didnt look sick at all,my older dog who hates all strangers jumped up on his lap and started snuggling up to him,within first 5 min of him sitting down,i should also add that my buddy kelly is one of the greatest guys ive ever met.ialso agree with fences signage,also the odd total meltdown on a stranger or two might pass the word faster than anything
    D
    Looking back at my last sentence maybe i should edit it a bit....an OCCASIONAL meltdown(within the laws of where you reside) might go a long way,i know when i was younger and not really what i would call a law abiding citizen I made it a point of not messing with crazy people lol,nowadays ive found most of the the turds can be persuaded to move on to easier targets after a little bit of an overreaction.ive prob confused the issue more than clarified it so I'll stop now lol
    D

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
    HK_User and Motomom34 like this.
  14. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

On @Falcon15's show Sunday he was talking about how they had a second set of eyes come out and look at security. Since starting this thread and reading all the responses, I have been looking at my house and realize because I have a comfort level here I don't see things as clearly as another would.

We are talking a bigger dog. Fencing would be something to be budgeted in. In the meantime I am going to ask one of the male neighbors to give me his opinion.

15. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Do you know any LEO's? Might get some good opinions that work in your AO. Something that they see a lot of, and how to counter act it before it happens.

tulianr likes this.
  16. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

You know....an electric cattle fence charger, rigged to the gate and front fence, and you will not have anymore wandering lookie-loos.....:rolleyes:

Cruisin Sloth and Ganado like this.
  17. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Kellory you are a genius... that is a good inexpensive fense won't kill em or the kids but slow them down and its cheap...

kellory likes this.
  18. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Yes , as we have , BUT YOU MUST HAVE SIGNS stating that , if there not 100% readable that could be a questionable angle. then again , many never read. ZAPPPP

Ganado likes this.
  19. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Then again, maybe just mount the yellow insulators.

tulianr, Ganado, Tully Mars and 2 others like this.
  20. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Like others have said, FENCE, BIG FREAKING DOG, SIGNS, OPEN CARRY GUNS. This is all great stuff. However, I think you can do much more, and it should be fun, too!

Okay, so here's what you do. Ordinarily, you should only do this just following Halloween to take advantage of the sales! Okay. Go to your local happy mart, craft store, or hardware store -maybe Amazon online even. Buy the fake spider web stuff, some call it "cobweb". You will want to write this all down, by the way. Okay. A tape player or CD player or any device to play a looped sound track for hours at a time. An MP3 player on repeat will work great. Attach the output to a subwoofer...easy to do, just cut a pair of headphone ear buds and attach the two wires to the speaker, not the best sound, but you need only low sound here. Get some fake blood, buy it by the gallon. Also, look for deals on fake body parts -they must look decent and actual size. With a bit of work, you can make them even better! Buy a few small mesh bags, they are really cheap -in the fishing section. Next, go to your local butcher and ask if you can have some pork scraps or any kind of meaty tissue. Buy a good sharpie marker if you don't have one. A big, fat sharpie marker. Okay! We are about done...

First, you are going to make your sign. That's right! Nothing, and I mean NOTHING says redneck better than a cardboard sign in Sharpie marker. Be sure to cut the cardboard haphazardly, not quite even and pretty. In fact, just rip that sh*t. The text should read: "Mom, I went to hospitol. I killed the lady next door and the dog is on the loose. -Jed." Now, leave a fake blood trail down the driveway, also a bloody hand print on the sign. Use some bits and pieces of meaty scrap to liven up your fake hand or leg and bloody them up nice. Tuck one away under the porch, just sticking out. That subwoofer speaker? yeah, that goes under the porch. Make sure to play the sound of a large animal GROWLING on repeat. Yeah, perfect. Okay, spider webs all around the porch, check. Sign, check. Fake bloody body parts, check. Oh yeah, chum bags...place all the extra meaty goodness in the chum bags and tuck them away to get nice and ripe. If one thing will make an intruder turn foot and walk the other way -it's the smell of DEATH.

Hope that helps! Have a great time securing your home!

1. Ganado
  2. oldman11
  3. deMolay
  4. HK_User
  5. Motomom34
  6. Motomom34
  7. Motomom34
  8. BelBol
  9. Bishop
  10. Yard Dart
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. Motomom34