Need Help Discouraging Strangers

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Motomom34, Apr 13, 2015.

1. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

HALTENZE! PAPERS!!

Quigley_Sharps likes this.
  2. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Quigley_Sharps likes this.
  3. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

think out of the box... buy several bee hives and place them near the front of your lot and place a sign warning that you have aggressive bees in the area and that individuals approach at their own risk... btw a line tied the front of an active hive will cause immediate response if it is pulled and the hive is rocked... and the honey tastes great!!

YMMV

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  4. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

lol yea 0-60 in a heart beat..lol

Motomom34, Yard Dart and Ganado like this.
  5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I am posting this picture to give you an idea. This is not my home and this one looks to be in a more populated area then me. But my home is near the road like this one. I do have a few more trees. People can see in the windows when driving by. How would you secure this house?

014495725_480x360.

6. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

I'd start with curtains.

6ft high chain link fencing topped with barbed wire might look out of place in that neighborhood though.
    Same thing for the moat with alligaitors and sharks with friggin' lasers on their heads.

A good security system / alarm with cameras would be next. Replacing some of the shrubbery with roses or brambles is possible. No need to go over the top anything more and it's easier to just move.

Yard Dart, Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  7. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Many how's and zoning regs won't let you put up fences... So use bushes and shrubs. Hawthorn is hardy and thorny and has great other uses.

I would move with a house like this as it's down hill and too close to the road. Call me crazy

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    Motomom34 likes this.
  8. kellory

[​IMG]
    I've used cactus as fencing. If the climate allows, it keep people, and big animals outside.

Motomom34 likes this.
  9. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

consider Pyracantha bushes

[​IMG]

pretty red berries hide dense thorns... they are fast growing... ornamental and hell on pants and legs... don't ask me how I know... just believe me...

10. kellory

Motomom34 likes this.
  11. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Is that your fence baaahaaa haa

Aloe is one of my favorite plants.... I never even considered it for guard duty =)

12. kellory

Yes, I used aguava (sp) (sword plant) for fencing in Californication. It was there, so I used it to top the retaining wall I built and to edge the property. Nothing, with a will to survive, will try to get through it.
    The spikes are fierce, the pulp burn like the hinges of hell, ( they make lotions and such, only after it is processed) and the plant grows thick and fast. I thinned out the crowded, small ones. The mature ones were over 8-9feet tall and spanned at least that far. Once given enough room,, they spread out quickly.
    Laugh all you want at my fence. It is as effective as electrified barbwire.

Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  13. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Makes good booze too.

Ganado and kellory like this.
  14. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I would have this blown up to life size proportions and paste it in my front window?

Man-In-Drag.

vonslob, chelloveck and Ganado like this.
  15. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Kellory I'm not laughing at your choice of plants... IM laughing because I never considered it and think it's brilliant.... When I see something I never considered and it catches by surprise, I laugh.

Text is so inadequate to communicate.... I hope in the future you will assume I Mean things in a good way.

kellory likes this.
  16. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

@Gator 45/70 [LMAO]

I looked them up & they are called the Firethorn plant, that explains the plant legs. Sadly they do not grow in my zone. Very pretty.

thanks Kell.

kellory likes this.
  17. kellory

You assume, I took offense. I did not.

Ganado likes this.
  18. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

My bad =)

19. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Hrm...like this?
    home_def1.
    With a fully robotic remote .50 cal roof mounted home defense system, about all you will have left to afford will be a bit of police tape, spray paint for the body outline, and of course, fake blood. However, I find this suitable for most circumstances.

Motomom34, Yard Dart and Ganado like this.
  20. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Roller shutters.
    [​IMG]
    Security, energy savings and more. Popular in the EUrozone, not so much here in NA.

Heavy screen door.
    [​IMG]

A CCTV system is less expensive, I see they sell systems at places like Costco now.

'video doorbell' (Ring Video Doorbell for Your Smartphone | Ring allows you to leverage the net to have a telepresence at home when out and about.

Home security systems are a crap shoot, here (Anchorage) you will get nicked $500 for each false alarm after the first 5. A vid system that you can link to the 'net may offer more flexibility....

Good luck!

Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  1. Ganado
  2. oldman11
  3. deMolay
  4. HK_User
  5. Motomom34
  6. Motomom34
  7. Motomom34
  8. BelBol
  9. Bishop
  10. Yard Dart