Need Help Discouraging Strangers

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Motomom34, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I've never meet a Mormon whom wasn't a nice person.

2. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I would have to agree, some of the nicest folks I have ever met. My next door neighbors are.... and they are great folks, even though the wife is the loudest ding-dong I have ever heard..... she works her but off and never seems to stop.

3. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

I have met one in Denver that wasn't. Was one of the cheapest ,double dealing back stabbing businessmen I've ever met. Worked his people like dogs, filled them with BS promises that never came through. But he is the only person of that religion I've met that was that way. I can't say that for many other religions..

3M-TA3, Sassenach and Motomom34 like this.
  4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

That is why they keep coming back. My husband invited them in years ago for a nice chat.

chelloveck and Tully Mars like this.
  5. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Last time the ladies hit my porch I invited them in for beer and nascar. I guess that wasn't their style. They left and haven't been back. :( Not like it was Pearl or Schlitz. It was top shelf Natural Lite.

6. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Lol... @oldawg that made me laugh so hard the wine came out nose..... ;)

chelloveck and oldawg like this.
  7. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

I'm sorry, I hope it wasn't the good stuff inna box.

8. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I spent three years as an employee, of Mormons. Good people. But not friendly. Nor did they keep the promises they made me. Raises were never on time, and family came before employee, no matter what had been promised.
    I bearded the old man in his office for my long overdue raise, and he said..."if I can get you to work for less than you're worth, then I'm a good businessman. If you can get me to give you a raise, then you're a good businessman. " and to hell with his given word or written contract.
    When work slowed down, and someone had to go, it was not the screw-off son in-law, who went looking for a job. But the only NON-MORMON (me). Even though my production was much better, skill level higher, and customer requested more often.
    So no. NOT more friendly.

pearlselby and chelloveck like this.
  9. GhettoPass

GhettoPass Monkey+

When was Harry Reid in Denver?

Yard Dart, BTPost and Tully Mars like this.
  10. jimLE

jimLE Monkey+++

i was in orlando fl.,one summer.i was walking down a sidewalk one saturday,when i looked at a window of a business.where i saw a sign that reads..
    security guard on duty 3 nights a week.you choose which 3..

Motomom34, kellory and Ganado like this.
  11. I think a sign is the best policy. Lots of signs will do the trick. Shoot First ask Questions Later signs keep people away from my property. Get some Good Cameras

Motomom34 likes this.
  12. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

M
    Motomom34,
    I would suggest a NO TRESPASSING sign also. I do not know why you could not carry a pistol in your own yard or shotgun. We do because of snakes.
    We have had 2 strangers stop lately. One was looking for work, we told him where to go and apply. (He never showed up) The other one was looking for real estate. There were no for sale signs in our yard. We told him we had a cabin about 8 miles away for sale and he never came back. This is the first time ever to have strangers just drive up like this. I think a gate is a good idea also.

Tully Mars, Motomom34 and Yard Dart like this.
  13. jimLE

jimLE Monkey+++

one thing some folks here fail to realize here..and if i remember right...motomom lives in a school zone.and in at least most case's, that alone makes it illegal to openly carry a gun.and 2ndly.in at least some cities,if not most.dont allow open carry..so the best thing i know for her to do.is to go into the locale police/shirefs station .and talk with them about it..and maybe a lawyer as well..

Motomom34 and pearlselby like this.
  14. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

It was stated earlier that most break ins take place during the day. A couple of things that thieves look for are evidence of dogs and evidence of kids (kids mean that people can be home at unexpected times).

I think dogs were covered earlier, but I do know that thieves will check out the back yard for signs that dogs have been doing their business there, so some grass being darker or burned out accomplishes that. If you are in need of dog crap, I have a terrier I can loan you that can eat through dog food virtually non-stop producing the nitrogen rich logs like a small conveyor belt.

For evidence of kids, one of the best is a basketball hoop. It implies, not only children, but older male children.

Motomom34, Yard Dart and Tully Mars like this.
  15. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@Motomom34 you need more kids [bow][ROFL]

actually the basketball hoop is a great idea if you can keep the passing rug rats off of it

16. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Hot wire just below the fence line works great.

Yard Dart, Tully Mars and Ganado like this.
  17. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

Oh I see. That is different.

18. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Very wise. Never thought of that. A male older child would be more of a threat then young or female.

@jimLE I think someone else lives in a school zone. I can open carry but that is not me. I felt good when I had a hammer in my hands and the Jehovah's appeared in my yard. So now I usually have something around. Shovel, hammer etc.. I also took @KAS's suggestion and have a baseball bat at the front door.

pearlselby and jimLE like this.
  19. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Machete

Motomom34 likes this.
  20. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

That would be a good deterrent but I am not comfortable with a machete. Baseball bats, golf clubs, hammers... those all feel comfortable.

kellory likes this.
  1. Ganado
  2. oldman11
  3. deMolay
  4. HK_User
  5. Motomom34
  6. Motomom34
  7. Motomom34
  8. BelBol
  9. Bishop
  10. Yard Dart
  11. Asia-Off-Grid