Need to control your animals

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Hanzo, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

That was the message to my neighbor.

Sunday before last, I took my pup for a run. Only it did not work our that way. A half a dozen houses down our street, a nice lady lives there. But she has been renovating the house. Pretty sure for the son and his family to move in.

As we were walking to warm up, we went past there house. Their little French bulldog (pretty sure that’s what it was) ran out barking. That has happened a few times with various dogs. Typically, they want to play. Not this one. Went straight for my dog and attacked her. She was on leash and in the short time it took for me to grab the dog and pull her off, she evaded as best she could.

After I pulled the dog off, the owner grabbed her. And I was going to go on my way. When I checked the puppy, she was limping and stood on three legs. On inspection, I saw the bite marks. That little dog was very aggressive. Got her lightly on the back of her head too. And later, I found some scratch marks as well.

So a couple of things got to me. First, instead of grabbing the dog as she ran out, the son was scolding his wife for letting her out. The son and mother were outside and saw the attack. It was the mother that pointed out the blood on pup's head and neck.

Rightfully, they offered to pay for any vet bills. So there went our run. Got the pup home and cleaned out the wounds. Did not want infection.

I walked her again that evening. Wanted her to move around a little bit. But she was sore and limping so, we kept it really short. Short walks, then short runs all week.

In that time the son texted me almost every day asking how the pup was doing. I told him that his dog was probably extra aggressive because it lacked exercise and socialization. Found out that it got into a bunch of fights at the dog park so he stopped taking her. Too many people are too busy to have pets, but do. Suggested he at least walk his dog regularly. That way, he can be the pack leader and not her. And it helps to burn off energy. In other words, pet owners need to control their pets. And a big part is exercise and interaction.

Fortunately, the wounds were not severe. And thankfully, my dog did not bite back. She has a powerful bite. I have watched her bite through bricks. And even nicknamed her “Chewbacca.” She might have killed their dog. But knowing how their dog is, I would not hesitate to punt it if it comes charging out again. Will go for the record on that field goal.

My girls were very upset.

Warning... minor doggie wounds...

All sad after getting bit.

Swelling went down after a few days. Took her on the trail on Friday and she was happy and felt strong. Only a short one. About an hour. Towards the end, she barely had any sign of limping. And I noticed her scabs we coming off. After her bath, you can see that under the scabs are still red.

Being outside is usually good medicine.

It was late in the day and darker on the trail than the pictures showed. The phone camera made the image pretty bright.

But I kept the pup company. As I was stepping through the brush, a loose branch tried to trip me up. I did not even notice until the wifee said afterwards, “What’s going on with your leg?” Freshly cleaned.

On Sunday, one week after the attack, I took Nori on a long one. No limp!

2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Sounds like a case for Judge Judy... you win cause the other dog was out of the owners control.... Open & Shut...

3. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

All is well. No big harm done.

4. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

[biggrouphug] [biggrouphug] @ yer pup

Hanzo, Dunerunner and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Sorry for the pup getting beat up,Perhaps you should enroll her in one of the self defense classes?

SB21, Hanzo, Salted Weapon and 2 others like this.
  6. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

When I walked my dog i use a ski poll as a walking stick and tool to deal with free running dogs. Fencing class come's in handy here, being able to poke at an aggressive critter . not deadly but manageable .

Hanzo, Gator 45/70 and oldman11 like this.
  7. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Want to bet said neighbors down the street haven't done anything to socialize or control their dog? Want to bet that they will be in trouble again because of their aggressive dog?

Glad to see Nori on the mend...

8. Salted Weapon

Salted Weapon Monkey+++

People seem to forget that Dogs are pack animals, those dogs running loose tells me that there is no Alpha's.
    My new dog, had now three months she is 6 years old, had 4 homes and a shelter and in that short time I have established solid rules an she enjoys following them. Dog owners often forget, its not just that dogs need training, they need to know where they fit and this is done by establishing dominance and giving them duties. We all know the rules of driving ( most of us) we learn and train and become better drivers. You must do this if you own a dog, in fact its almost cruel not to give a dog a job and show dominance as the Alpha, because without leadership they get confused when you choose outta the blue to correct them, often after its too late.

9. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Izzapoo is a dangerous dog, this pic she was just under a year and has since grown to 85 pounds and developed the big barrel chest of the pit side but unlike most pits that are one track mind and generally dumber than a box of rocks.... yeah her Mother was that dumb. Her Father is a very smart Aussie Shep, she got her mothers body build and all of her daddy's intelligence. Problem is she is very anti social and hates anything other than her pack. She is also well trained and obeys orders first time every time and does not understand English so unless you speak Oglala she is not going to listen to you. Now if idiot people would read and understand the signs of DO NOT ENTER GUARD DOG ON DUTY ""SHE WILL MAUL YOU"" or once they ignore that sign. open the gate and pull in the drive DO NOT EXIT YOUR VEHICLE IF I AM NOT PRESENT!!! SHE REALLY WILL MAUL YOU!!!! Ok she does not actually maul people but she makes them believe she is going to and sends them running for their life back to their vehicle.
    Anyway Izzapoo just hates people and has hated everyone but me since the day she was born, she tolerates my wife but is very far removed from liking my wife. Point is people get dogs often like Poo and it does not matter if it is a 85 Poo or a 2 pound teacup they need to be trained and taught just like children but we see how well folks are teaching and training their children now days, they are not going to do any better and probably worse with their dogs.

The invader on this day decided stepping up on the porch would be a very bad idea. That is not Izzapoo's WELCOME I LOVE COMPANY look :)
    Izzapoo.JPG

Bandit99, sec_monkey, Hanzo and 2 others like this.
  10. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Yeah. That’s why I be punting next time.

So true.

A beauty!

We make her not fight. Defend only. But she was leashed and the other dog free.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2019
    oldawg, Gator 45/70 and oldman11 like this.
  11. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@Hanzo Well, for what it is worth, I think you showed great restraint, must be all that running and martial arts you do. I live in Northern Idaho and most people here are level headed and responsible. I say this because, quite frankly, I have very little patience for this type of thing and wouldn't have thought twice about giving that dog the boot or, if larger, blowing its head off. It's simply not tolerated here. If the dog was defending its home would be different but to charge out into the street and attack your dog and/or you - not tolerated.

Well, done sir! You're a better man than me and I hope those silly neighbors of yours realize what could have happen. I imagine we both know why they continued to call you concerning of the health of Chewbacca...

Question: Hawaii has some very strict gun laws but their laws allows a dog, more specifically an aggressive dog, to run around unleashed?

12. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I think there is some kind of ruling where dogs can get put down for biting people or animals. Like a three strike rule.

My friend has a big male pit. And he always carries a knife. Good man! And he has pulled it when other dogs, especially big males, charge toward him and his dog. And he has told the other dog owners that he will stab their dog if it gets close.

Like most places, we have a leash law too. While I would love to let Nori run free with no leash, no can do. Except at the dog park.

And knowing their dog is like that, I would not hesitate to boot it if it comes running at Nori again. And I bet it has over three bites in its history.

Funny that it seems the smaller dogs do much biting. Over the years, I have been bitten three times by small to medium dogs and now Nori. Once was helping my daughter take care of a neighbor dog. Once was when the owner told me I could pet it. Stick my hand towards it and it took a chomp. And once at the park, I had treats and this lady's dog came over while I was giving Nori one. I asked her if her dog could have one. When she said yes, I was handing her dog a treat and it bit my hand. THEN she says that her dog bites. WTF?!?

13. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Glad your pup got thru the ordeal with just some small wounds, and healed quickly! (y)

Next door neighbor of mine has a female German Shepherd. So far as I know, never takes her for a walk, or to the dog park. And just like everyone else on the street where I live, her property is 1/4 acre, with maybe half of that available, for the dog to run around on. I'm sorry, but there's no way, that that's enough land for a big dog to be restricted to! And likely, why the dog is NOT socialized, or friendly, to anyone but her family.

Ironically, there's a very good chance, that the reason she doesn't take the dog for walks, or to the dog park, is because the dog IS non-social, toward other dogs and people! :(

I'm just waiting for the day, that the dog decides to jump the fence, and bite someone. Whenever I'm doing yard work, I have my folding knife on me, just in case. And if that day ever happens, I'll be sure to tell the police, animal control, and the DA's office (not to mention any lawyer, retained by the biting victim), just exactly how agressive that dog usually is. I hate to see any animal have to deal with the possibility of being destroyed, especially when the reason they're anti-social, is entirely the fault of the owner.....but that owner has made the bed, and will lie in it, alongside her dog, if I have anything to do with it.

Hanzo and Gator 45/70 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7