new product: Crovel - thoughts...

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by OutdoorGirl, Sep 23, 2011.

1. OutdoorGirl

OutdoorGirl Monkey+

I just ran across this, it looked good and was wondering "is it worth the $100.00". Did a search but nothing came up???
    The big plus that even made me consider the purchase is that it is made in the USA.
    Thanks ahead of time for the feedback
    OG

2. Yoldering

Yoldering Monkey+++

A crowbar/shovel/saw/ect... looks cool!
    crovel-xl.

3. goinpostal

goinpostal Monkey+++

As with most multi-tool thingamajigs.I'd have to hold it in my hands,and try it out before spending that kind of money on one.
    Matt

4. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

It sounds like a variation on

The Swiss Mary Shovel.

http://www.survivalmonkey.com/forum/general-survival/17011-swiss-mary-shovel.html

As with most multi function tools, it is a package of compromises wherein the capabilities of individual functions are compromised to a greater or lesser extent by the ability of being able to use the tool for multi purposes. Will the saw function ever be as good as a purpose built wood saw?....no, but it will do, in a pinch, with extra effort and sweat and cussing for want of anything better at the time you're having your emergency. Much the same applies to some of the other functions like the hammer, the pry bar, the axe and the bottle opener functions.

My next concern for any sustained use of this tool, would be the ergonomics of using it for any period of time. Balance / weight / ergonomic fit to hand physiology may make the tool quite impractical for everyday sustained use on your property when there are tools better designed for human labour available. However, in an emergency for want of something better, it will do at a pinch to get you out of a fix.

Some functions would seem to be inimical to each other. For instance....using the shovel function to dig with, would seem to me to result in bluntening the edge of the razor sharp axe / saw functions.

Whether a Crovel is worth $100 (I note that some places are selling it for $85 as advertised on some Youtube clips - so shop around), is a value judgement that only you can make...your money...your financial situation...your life. For $100 I could buy a reasonable shovel, bush saw, pry bar, hatchet, hammer and bottle opener.

The Crovel would seem to me to be heavier than a conventional E-Tool so It may pack more weight than can be justified in a BOB ensemble, but I do see a practical use as a tool in a BOV.

One last comment....be very careful when using the Crovel's "eunuch" function (aka seat function)...with a razor sharp axe blade on one side, and wicked saw teeth on the otherside, it could rip you a new ar$ehole, AND slice and dice your salami at the same time if you are not very adroit at butt placement. : O

Special Forces Shovel - The Crovel Close UP - YouTube

The Crovel: Field Test 1 For Zombie Practice - YouTube

Crovel Shovel Hard at Work- Field test 2 - YouTube

Shovel - Crovel: Field Test 3 - YouTube

5. beast

beast backwoodsman

a new E for everything tool.....lol

6. Pyrrhus

Pyrrhus Monkey+++

It reminds me way too much of the crappy "survival knives" of 15 or so years ago. Oh my freaking gosh. Did I just clearly remember something from 15 freaking years ago?

7. Gafarmboy

Gafarmboy Monkey+++

Chinese military shovel...

If I am not mistaken, this is just a copy of the Chinese Military shovel. Saw a video on it several years ago and thought "Dang, that's a smart idea." Sort of the Swiss Army Knife of shovels. So being the tinker/handman that I have grown to be, I dug out an old US military entrenching tool and started making some "Modifications" if you will. About 2 days later and with some help from a friend that owns a saw/blade sharpening shop. I created my own version of their shovel. It does not have all the features of the Chinese version but I have only the cost of the entrenching tool (about 3 bucks at a garage sale) and a few hours of mind pleasing thought and sweat.

Here is the link to a youtube video on the Chinese Version
    Chinese Military Shovel WJQ-308 (HQ + Full length) - YouTube

Gafarmboy
    If you can not defend what you own, you won't own it long.

8. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

A few thoughts:

Pros- I like the wire cutter, pry bar, nail pulling function of the shovel. Using it as a boat oar, a grappling hook, and a shield were around long before this shovel, but need to be demonstrated if one never saw it done before.

Cons- The saw and knife blade would be dull rather quickly around here. Our soil is far too rocky and would obliterate and usefullness from the sharpened edges. Nice thought, though. I guess if you live in a region where the soil is sandy I could see the practicallity.

The hammer is another nice thought, but I could see myself or others getting smashed hands trying to use it. Better off with a small mallet or decent hachet to go along with your entrenching tool.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7