nonfat powdered milk?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by ezmoney, Mar 19, 2012.

Tags:
  1. ezmoney

ezmoney Monkey+

I can buy nonfat powdered milk 50 pounds for $119 .00 from a bakery supplier local. If I store this in 5 gallon mylar bags vacuum and use oxygen absorber. What is the shelf life. [yack]

2. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

I bought that same powdered milk when I worked at a bakery years ago. I stored it in 5 gallon buckets with plastic liners using dry ice, and then forgot about it. Opened it up and gave it a try about 3 years later when I was moving. Tasted like crap when it was fresh and didn't taste any better when it was old. I used some of it to make macNcheese and it tasted ok... course you can make a box of .25 macNcheese with just water and it tastes ok too.

3. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Shelf life depends on type of non-fat milk....

Shelf life depends on type of non-fat milk, method of storage and environmental factors. Hope you find this information useful.

4. Wolfgang2000

Wolfgang2000 Monkey++

Thats a good price for 50 lbs. I just paid $110.00 for 25 lbs.

My wife and I do the storage a little different. Like most of our preps, in is in use all the time, and used daily. When we buy 2% milk we split it in haft, and then mix it 50-50 with powered milk.

We break the powered milk into serving size then vacuum seal 2 servings to a bag. It's then stored in non-food grade buckets. This the entire bucket isn't exposed every time we open a bucket.

It's a little messy, but it works for us.

5. jungatheart

jungatheart Beginner's Mind

I really like the milk Emergency Essentials sells in #10 cans with oxygen absorbers. Tastes great and lasts forever. Pretty sure it's lots more than $120 for 50 lbs. though.

6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Emergency Essentials is sellint that NonFat Powdered Milk in 29# SuperPails for $.25/Oz in the latest Catalog. That is $117.99US per 29# Pail...

They have 3 Cases, of 6 ea. #10 Cans, of the same product, like 63# IN 10# CANS, for $269.99US $.32/Oz

All from the March Specials 2012 Catalog, Promo Code 4EHL17

.... YMMV....

jungatheart likes this.
  1. JC Refuge
  2. JC Refuge
  3. JC Refuge
  4. JC Refuge
  5. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. RJFab
  8. duane
  9. TnAndy
  10. john316
  11. DKR
  12. DKR
  13. apache235
  14. Ganado
  15. alaskachick
  16. Motomom34
  17. Bandit99
  18. Asia-Off-Grid