NRA view of the SHTF rifle

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Gator 45/70, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

HK_User, Mountainman and stg58 like this.
  2. AmericanRedoubt1776

AmericanRedoubt1776 American Redoubt: Idaho-Montana-Wyoming Site Supporter+

AR-10 he recommends in the article. Good choice. Would prefer AK's reliability and cheap ammo if in urban setting. No one single gun for Without Rule of Law (WROL), a term I prefer to TEOTWAWKI or SHTF.

----

NRA Life Member; also member of Gun Owners of America of America,
    NRA-PVF | PVF Home
    , Second Amendment Foundation Second Amendment Foundation Online, Home | Calguns FoundationCalguns Foundation, California Rifle and Pistol Association | , Gun Owners of California, NSSF | National Shooting Sports Foundation | Firearms Industry Trade Association, Jews For The Preservation of Firearms Ownership, Permies: a big crowd of permaculture goofballs, Survival Podcast Member Support Brigade, Wolf Pack member at TheSurvivalistBlog.net — Survival Blog, Prepper Website, MD Creekmore, Permaculture Homesteader, Minister. American Redoubt - YouTube, American Redoubt (AmericaRedoubt) on Twitter, Jefferson Franklin (Redoubt) - Google+, American Redoubt | Facebook

3. Tevin

Tevin Monkey+++

The "best gun" argument is ageless. It's never really settled yet won't go away, either. I never understood the point of this ridiculous treadmill debate anyway. So everyone thinks their deep enlightenment has led them to the real "perfect gun" and all others are pretenders to the throne. Hooray for us. [winkthumb]

I'm going to say that the "best gun" is whatever you are most comfortable using, no matter how convincing the caliber or science behind it is. What good is the "Most Awesomely Perfect Gun On Paper" if you don't feel at ease using it? My young nephew uses a .22 LR semiauto pistol almost exclusively. Physical problems with his hands make it difficult for him to handle the recoil of large calibers or effectively control a long gun for more than a few shots. A .22 LR hand gun is the first choice of basically no one, but it works for him. And by the way, he's really good at it. I'd rather he hit a target once with a .22 than miss five times with a .45.

AmericanRedoubt1776 likes this.
  4. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

The counter to their main argument, of course, would be, "How often are you going to have over 600 yards line of sight to defend yourself? On a one on one, if you have a clear line of sight of 1000 yards, a scoped .308 is a definite advantage. But honestly, thinking of your BOL.....do you really have that kind of LOS??

5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I, for one, would be making ALL my defensive shoots at or over 1000Yds, in SHTF Senerios..... Thats is EXACTLY why I have a DPMS AR10, with a 24" Stainless Barrel, and topped with a BURRIS Eliminator III 5-16X 55mm Optics, with built-in Laser RangeFinder & Projectile Drop Computer. Agreed, My location and situation are NOT typical, but if you have the right weapon, and do not need it, than to need the capability, and NOT have it available.

6. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

I'm still sticking to the one that is in your hand when you need to put the booger hook to the bang switch.

7. Silversnake

Silversnake Silverback

Like they say, "It depends". The AR10 is a good overwatch rifle. Accurate, great external and internal (EDIT: I meant to say terminal) ballistics, reliable, rapid follow up shots. If you are part of a team (or family) the AR10 is a great choice for the overwatch person or team covering your point man during traveling overwatch, bounding overwatch or from a support by fire position. This is the same guy/team who would hang back and overwatch from high ground as others approach danger areas like road crossings, bridges, constrictions, buildings to scavenge, etc.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  8. Silversnake

Silversnake Silverback

But if you were a dad, with small kids and a wife who may have a threat suddenly present itself within feet, an AR15 with easier recoil, large capacity and rapid follow up shots makes more sense. Just choose the right ammo to go with it. I personally prefer Sierra 65gr PSPBT and some M855 penetrators in separate mags.

9. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

The perfect gun would shoot any ammo, in any caliber, never break down, and work great at any range, and be easily re-loadable, and be dirt cheap. No such gun exists, so it is a debate for the best compromise.

10. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Perfection !

M1A_Standard_Rifle.

oldawg likes this.
  11. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Needs a bigger Magazine.....

12. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

They can be had...Or so I've heard.

13. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Only if it has Sadlak Industries LLC parts in it ;)

BTPost likes this.
  14. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Piston on hold pattern !

15. marlas1too

marlas1too Monkey+++

Winchester mod.54 30-06 for long shots-38/357 lever action for short range and 357 mag for up close and personal -also a 12 gage coach gun double barrel

16. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Now, opsec. Later --whatever the bad guys have will do. [winkthumb]

17. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Edit: typo....HAD ;)

chelloveck, Harbin and Brokor like this.
  18. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Seems I had this conversation.. young guy was getting a custom AR... I responded that I would pick one up off the ground.. Wasn't there something where ammo was left around battle areas that was designed to explode in the chambers of the VC 's weapons ??

19. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

Yeah, they were called BOLO Beans. The bullet would be removed,powder dumped, and replaced by C-4. Played hell on a rifles chamber pressure.

oldawg likes this.
  20. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Makes you think about picken rounds up laying around..

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7