Nuke disaster was easily prevented...

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by fireplaceguy, Mar 14, 2011.

1. fireplaceguy

fireplaceguy Monkey+

At dinner Saturday night, I told a bunch of friends that I strongly suspected the backup coolant pump generators worked perfectly until the tsunami hit, and that they would have easily survived the tsunami if only the air intake stacks had been tall enough to not take in water. Today, a WSJ article suggests I was correct. From the article: "When nuclear plants lose grid power, emergency on-site generation is supposed to furnish backup power. But some diesel generators at the Fukushima Daiichi plant failed a short time later due to the damage from the tsunami that followed the earthquake."

Here's the LINK to the WSJ article.

(I've experienced hydraulic lock in race engines with constant flow injection a handful of times. If you try to crank the engine when a cylinder is locked up like that, you'll often bend a rod. The solution is to put the car in gear and pull it backwards several feet, which releases the pressure in the cylinder. Well - try to imagine the damage if an engine, running at speed, takes in enough liquid to experience hydraulic lock - you'd break rods, cranks and probably heads and blocks, destroying the whole engine in less than a second!)

Seems pretty clear that a 50 foot tall intake stack for each generator would have prevented the whole mess!

Nadja likes this.
  2. -06

-06 Monkey+++

That was a similiar problem with the pumps in NO after Katrina. I was there several years prior and noticed the location of the generators. Common sense should have had them higher than the water outside the gates.

3. Nadja

Nadja RIP 3-11-2013 Forum Leader

The same thing had been going through my mind all along. Better yet I think is that if the rooms the generators were stored in were water tight with the exhaust and intake stacks straight up through the ceiling. You could have mounted water tight hatch doors to gain access to the gennies, much like a sub hatch door

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Going by common design here in the states, the emergency gen sets will be in structures that are water tight to the highest level that is anticipated. I suspect that the water was higher than the design at those plants, and more likely than hydraulic lock is drowning the electrical end of things. Air intakes are (here) commonly arranged to provide both cooling and combustion air thru the same openings, and (also common here) the intakes would allow water to hit the floor and generators well before the combustion air intakes got wet. I suppose those gennies could have been open cooled by sea water, but that would not be common here so that the engine cooling is independent of sea water availability (meaning air cooled radiators.) Dunno ---.

5. cool hand luke

cool hand luke Monkey+

They would have had to water proof all the electronics and had the fuel tanks be watertight

6. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

Put the whole Genset on a 50 ft tower.

7. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

With water not being compressable, and many many BILLIONS of metric tons of it coming in inexorably, man's constructions must fail. Walls, towers, ditches - nothing works all the time. Nature will always conquer, and when she gets PO'd, she's one mean old broad........ [shtf]

8. franks71vw

franks71vw Monkey+++

I cant seem to understand why if they failed they couldnt air drop a genset and have them hooked up??? in the meantime all this occured

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7