Oak Tree I.D. Site

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Gator 45/70, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Motomom34, tulianr and kellory like this.
  2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I think you can eat all acorns. I want to try cooking them & making pancakes with them.

3. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  4. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Brokor and kellory like this.
  5. tulianr

tulianr Don Quixote de la Monkey

I have a pot of acorns in the fridge right now that I just finished leaching the acid out of. They're Chestnut Oak; really large acorns, but a surprising amount of tannic acid. This is the first year that I have worked with Chestnut Oaks. In the past, I have used White Oak, and assumed that the larger the acorn, the less tannic acid one had to deal with. That was certainly the case with White Oak vs. most in the Red Oak family. I assumed Chestnut Oak would be similarly lacking in acid, but not so. I had to bring these to a boil six times, changing the water each time, before the water came off anywhere close to clear.

I haven't tried any fancy cusine with acorns yet, but for the past couple of years I've collected and processed them, mainly to show my son some of the uses to which acorns can be put. I try to introduce him to as many wild foods as possible. In past years, we've roasted acorns, and added oil, salt, and soul seasoning. They were more than edible. Then we dark roasted a bunch, and made "coffee" out of them. Calling it coffee might be stretching it a bit, but it was certainly drinkable, and with a bit of sugar and milk added, it was fairly tasty.

This year, we plan to grind some down for flour. We'll see how that goes. My little one is wanting to make "Acorn Soup," but that really doesn't sound too appealing. Maybe with the right additional ingredients, we can turn it into something.

Gator 45/70 and kellory like this.
  6. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

You might add acorns to venison stew, and make 'em happy. I feed them to deer, in place of more expensive corn. I may change that practice. i have a neighbor who loves Chestnuts, and thinks Buckeyes are really Chestnuts. As I understand it, the Buckeyes are mildly poisonous, and will make him sick. But he will not listen. A word to the wise about eating anything from the wild, make sure of your identifications.

tulianr likes this.
  7. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Use a 50/50 mixture of flour to acorn. Used to make it that way all the time. Great for bannock, too.

tulianr, kellory and Gator 45/70 like this.
  1. DKR
  2. Ganado
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Ganado
  5. Motomom34
  6. Motomom34
  7. TnAndy
  8. runswithdogs
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. marlas1too
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. Asia-Off-Grid