Of all the places...

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by cdnboy66, Sep 29, 2010.

1. cdnboy66

cdnboy66 Monkey++

So I happened into Walmart the other day and they are redoing the entire store layout. So of course, being the guy I am, I head off in search of deals.

Lo and behold, they now have a rack about 10 feet in length that is full od "survival" foods. Hard red wheat, dried milk powder, dried berries, dehydrated margerine, etc.

I was really surprised that they had picked up this "line" of foods.[shtf]
    This could make prepping a lot easier for some people who can maybe put aside an extra few dollars every paycheque to store some worthwhile long term storage foods.
    I am sure it is a business move on their part and it will be profitable, but it does increase the awareness and ease of prepping for some.

Anybody had any wexperience with the products they are stocking, sorry, don't have the brand name in front of me.

2. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Walmart, Super-Walmart, or Sam's ??? Their product lines vary greatly. I have to check this out, but would like to save on the gas and go to the right one.

3. cdnboy66

cdnboy66 Monkey++

It was a regular Wal Mart in Omak, WA, might be a supercentre. I will check the brand name when I get home. I picked up some dried milk powder in a #10 can and a bucket of hard red wheat.
    The wheat was 25 pounds for $11.67 I think. Way more than I have had it offered to me in a 2000# bag, but prepackaged and with the cost of a bucket factored in...meh, not more than I can afford, so into the stores it goes. I will get a second one when I get back that way and actually run it through the grinder and make a loaf of bread with it.

4. BadgeBunny

BadgeBunny Monkey++

Hmmmm ... have not seen this in Oklahoma yet, but will keep my eyes open. Thanks for the heads up!!

5. cdnboy66

cdnboy66 Monkey++

Augason Farms
    and the Wal-Mart in Omak is a Supercenter

this is the product line they are carrying.
    seems cheaper when direct buy on the deal of the day, and shipping doesn't seem unreasonable either.

It always comes down to what it tastes like too, and I haven't tasted it yet.

Hope the link is all good and not against any current forum rules. Mods, if it needs to be delinked, please accept my apologies

6. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Thanks for the tip. Will have to check with the locals to see if they have those goodies stocked or available.

7. Detentus

Detentus Monkey+

I haven't seen this in my supercenter Wal-Mart in MA yet. I think it would be great, especially in terms of shipping charges. Thanks for the heads up.

8. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

It appears all the stores are in Mtn and Pac time zones well west of Mississippi. It probably is a local thing not available East of the Mississippi. Too bad to. I would have been interested as shipping charges cost us more than the products themselves most of the time.

9. Detentus

Detentus Monkey+

tac, I hope it moves eastward. I'd be very interested as it's cost me a fortune in shipping charges, too.

10. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

I have said it before as have others, and I will continue to push it.... The LDS food distribution and dry packing warehouses and online sales beat most others cost wise. Specially when you factor in shipping. I will post links here as soon as I check them. Online sales doesn't require membership to their church. Food purchases at their warehouses vary as to what they require of non-members. Such as member sponsor present at time of purchase, or non-member participation in packing orders for others before their own, to no special requirement what so ever, just participate and pack your food. Allegedly some warehouses do not sell to non-members at all. The closest warehouse to me is in Jacksonville Florida. 120 miles away or so. An individual who answered the phone there told me they do sell to non-members, but you must show up early on the day scheduled and help pack before packing your own order. links below.
    food distribution order form; lists all that is available and prices
    http://www.providentliving.org/content/display/0,11666,8133-1-4352-1,00.html
    food distribution warehouses home / map
    http://www.providentliving.org/location/map/0,12566,2026-1-4,00.html
    online sales home
    http://www.ldscatalog.com/webapp/wc...=10002&langId=-1&cg1=14087&cg2=&cg3=&cg4=&cg5

11. Detentus

Detentus Monkey+

tac, I believe there is one in Worcester, MA. I know there's a group from CT that goes occasionally.

12. CrazySingleMom

CrazySingleMom Monkey+

I agree ... not seen it here either ... but sure wish I had ... this sounds great!

~R

13. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Looks like Walmart in Las Cruces, Nm closest thing to you.

14. Joseph Thomas

Joseph Thomas Monkey+

15. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

LOL .... some people will never learn. How long ago was Aesop's Fables written? Today I wouldn't be surprised if 20 people at random were stopped on the street and asked about whether or not they had ever heard of Aesop's Fables, and secondly could they remember the story line of any of them, and no more than one could. 5% of the population being aware sounds about right. JMHO

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7