Oil drums for gasoline storage

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by tedrow42, Jun 22, 2016.

1. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I your going to run a pressure valve vent I'd run it out side. personally though that's how you loose the quality of the gas over time. I would only need a small hose fuel line if you will for GP to daisy chain from barrel to barrel to pressure vent hose out side , each barrel would need it's own check valve to prevent one low tank from gassing off and pressurizing the rest .
    A full to the top barrel does not develop much pressure if any,
    It is the vacant air space in the tank that allows the gas to vaporize and pressurize .
    I know because I am always filling and using that fuel near the end of the month when my funds are low. We have 100+ degree temperatures here , so I watch this issue very closely.
    Also keeping the tank full prevents the tank from flexing the ends when weather heats up . a partially filled tank you can here it bump in the morning and at night. if you intend on filling it for emergency and can't fill it all at once, then leave the bung less then tight so it can breathe bit past the gasket like a pressure valve and then once it's full then tighten it down.
    Make you self a strap steel tool for opening the bung and tightening it down again .

2. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Putting your drums underground (even in an unused root or storm shelter, or a hole you dig, and line to, hopefully, keep most water out) will solve your temperature variance problems. Underground fuel tanks (or rather large above-ground tanks, most likely bigger than most of us will be able to afford to fill) maintain constant temperature, pretty much year-round.

The only thing you need to be aware of, is that if you do have venting from the drums, it's going to tend to stay down in that hole, displacing the air. Not only flammable, but potentially dangerous for anyone going down there!

A way around that problem is to either:
    - naturally ventilate the hole
    - install a turbine ventilator, with a pipe going down to within a couple inches of the floor (that way, it's not just recirculating the air at the top of the hole), or
    - install a vent from the bottom of the hole to outside (with a loop at the top, to keep rain out), and a forced air supply going into the hole (so you're pushing fresh air in, and pushing bad air out, through that vent).

The trick, with an explosive atmosphere, is that while sucking atmosphere OUT of the space requires a fan with either an air motor, or an explosive-proof electric motor, pushing air INTO the space has no such requirements.

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Don't take that to bank. If, for some reason, the fan is turned off for a period of time, explosive or flammable vapors or gasses can back flow to boom town when the fan is energized. (There are ways around that, but some thought is needed, and more than likely, human intervention.)

natshare likes this.
  4. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Which is why we typically used a pneumatic fan, in the fuels world, for ventilating tanks. Keep the air compressor upwind, and you can run it all day long, without worrying about it.

You could also put a damper in the supply duct, or an opening in the duct, below the level of the electric fan. Vapors will always seek the easiest pathway to flow.

5. Imasham

Imasham Monkey

I am wondering on the practicality of gasoline storage...not so much with regards to keeping it fresh or stable for the long term but on how much one would actually need to store to make it worthwhile.

Here's what I mean. I looked up the specs for what I think is a fairy typical home generator (a Generac XP8000e) and at 50% load it has a run time of 10 hours for 9 gallons. That means a 55 gallon drum will run this generator for about 61 hours. I assume that other generators will have similar specs. I also assume that some of the time the unit will run at greater than 50% load and sometimes less so that the average will be around 50%. So one full drum of gasoline will last just 2 1/2 days. Thus to have power for a year I'd need to store nearly 150 drums. And that presumes I use the gasoline only for the generator and nothing else. For short term needs I can see the benefit of having a couple of drums stored but I do not believe that it's feasible to utilize gasoline for long term needs.

I'd be interested in hearing what you are actually storing gasoline for. I am looking more and more at converting my home and bug out location to solar and wonder what others are thinking in this regards.

6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I am a Fuel Distribter for my local area. My Tank Farm can hold 20K USG of Non-Ethanolized 80/87 Gasoline, as well as significant amounts of both #1 & #2 Diesel Fuel. My neighbors store their Gasoline in Drums, and 5USG Jugs, when they come to purchase Fuel. They store fuel for Preps, as well as daily use, in that they ALL, generate all their own Electrical Power, since there is NO GRID, within 250 Miles. A few of them use Diesel Gensets, but most have Gasoline Fueled Gensets. The Preps are for when Winter Wx keeps them from getting here, like what happened last week. We had a week of Below 30F Days and Below 20F Nights, which cause the Upper Inlet to build 3 miles of 6" Ice, and stop ALL boat traffic from there, to here. Those neighbors on our limited Road System, can get Snowed In, if we get more that 2 feet of Snow, which stops all traffic, except SnowMobiles. Most have at least two months of no real use, Fuel in Storage.

7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Therein lays part of the problem with long term dependence on gensets. Not a good plan at all. "You" need to plan on part time running the gennies, or do without entirely.

Yard Dart likes this.
  8. Imasham

Imasham Monkey

As a fuel distributor you probably have a great long term storage solution! That said, for long term SHTF scenarios fuel will still run out. Do you have an alternative power plan?

9. BTPost

I have a 10Kw PeltonWheel & Genend, that I can operate off the Summer Water System, if I run it Year-Round... It would take a few weeks to get it running, but the infustructure is all there. (Copper, Watet, Fittings, and other bits) The Water Supply is a 10" Pipe with 300Ft of Head... so 10 Kw is an easy prospect for what I have in storage...

10. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

So long as you fill the drum full, no air space, there will be no gassing off. lids must be kept tight.
    When you start using your spares, empty one at a time .
    You will notice that once you've removed a few gallons the effects of expansion and contraction will begin to take effect on the drum lid.
    Gassing off is a bit like eppervesance in a soda bottle , if you' leave it open, the soda goes flat . same with gas .

Ganado likes this.
  11. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

I have 2 barrels for diesel and picked up a new hand crack pump for less than 60 bucks on line works fine hose could be longer.

12. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

I one thing I would do with a oil drum before filling it with gas is put in A half gallon of gas or so and spin the barrel around to wash some of the oil out. Then use the wash gas to start burn piles

BTPost likes this.
  13. BTPost

Had a neighbor stop by this afternoon, with water leaking into his Gasoline Storage Barrel, and it got into his GenSets... Gave him a New Barrel, and told him to wait a few days, (The local Temps will drop out 5F ) and then transfer the remaining fuel into the New Barrel, and then let the Ice melt in the old one and use that for Burning Garbage...

14. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Boat out fits use a product called "water finder" It is a green paste that turns almost purple/red when exposed to water.
    I check my barrels as the are being filled and see to it there is no water being added. A stick with a dab on the end usually tells me all I need to know .( if rust has already gotten started ,you just have to deal with it a it is exposed.)
    If I find any trace of water I take a tube "usually copper" ,and a primer bulb and draw the water from off the bottom .
    If it is ignored the barrel can rust away and loose all the con tense .
    I just lost an old barrel I had kerosene in . ( never thought to check it for water) fortunately I had an empty barrel to transfer it into.
    I need to inspect the failed barrel and see how seriously the rust has eaten .
    I'll have to repurposes it for something else.
    As for storing gas under ground its not generally a good idea in that if you barrel leaks it's leaking into your soil . Some states go nuts over this issue.

1. Bandit99
  2. duane
  3. oldman11
  4. TnAndy
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
    Resource

Biogas Notes 2008

Biogas Notes, By Paul Harris. [IMG]
    Posted By: Asia-Off-Grid, Jul 21, 2018 in category: Energy