Ok to store feed oats?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by fortunateson, Jul 23, 2010.

1. fortunateson

fortunateson I hate Illinois Nazis!

Producer's Pride® Rolled Oats, 50 lb. - 5050107 | Tractor Supply Company

I noticed that this says nothing about aflatoxin while almost all of the corn products specify that they're aflatoxin free.
    Is that something to worry about with oats?

Is a product like this safe for human consumption and clean enough to store?

Interested in hearing your experiences.

2. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I don't have any info for you.

3. fortunateson

IOW, Bump
    Thanks ;)

4. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

Bulk oats from a grocer is much better

5. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

I would not store feed oats for human use. I looked at doing that myself, and when I looked at the oats, they were loaded with stems and hulls. I ended up feeding that to chickens and rabbits.
    A local grocer has 25lb bags of regular oats and quick oats for around $18 a bag compared to around $13.00 for the feed oats. (45 miles away is local?) anyway, it's the nearest decent sized city.

6. fortunateson

If that's the case, then it's worth the difference.

7. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

OOPS!
    I was off on the prices, the feed oats were $13.00 for 50 lbs,
    the grocery store bulk stuff was $18.00 for 25 lbs.
    but rhw feed oats were not fit for human consumption. (IMHO)

8. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

We havent stored them long term but rolled oats from the grain elevator have done fine for us in 5 gallon buckets and have eaten them with no problems. If you find some of the bulk dry goods stores they arent bad on 'food grade' though. We normaly buy it in 50 lbs bags from an Amish dry goods store in the next town for $20-25. No real complaints on the stuff from the grain elevator though. Fact is the hulls and such have a lot of neutrients and make it a true 'whole grain'. si IMHO if its there then its not a bad thing.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7