Old liquid fuel lighter restoration

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by hot diggity, Dec 13, 2022.

Tags:
  1. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I found this lighter in a bottom drawer of an old tool box I bought. It had the same issue as nearly every other old lighter I've found. By old i don't mean a few years old, like a discarded plastic Bic lighter. I'm talking about lighters from the 1950's to 1970's. They get left in drawers because they won't spark. They won't spark because the flint has swollen under the constant pressure of the spring that pushes it into the serrated wheel.

These things can become rock hard and are more work to get out than most people care to do. If it's a Zippo you can utilize the lifetime warranty, but where's the challenge in that. ;)

I spent an hour digging, drilling, tapping and cursing this one. I was finally rewarded with a functional liquid fuel lighter worth about $3 on Ebay. It's priceless to me. For fire making I like to have duplicates of my duplicates and the more varied the method of ignition the better.

The process.
    IMG_20221212_163540.
    Extra flints.
    IMG_20221212_163839.
    FIRE!
    IMG_20221212_164121.
    Relative size.
    IMG_20221212_170752.

With I nitrile gloves finger over the top this lighter will maintain fuel for 30+ days the same as my Zippo's. It's handy, it's made in USA and it will still be recyclable and functional after every plastic disposable has been forgotten in the trash.:)

2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I love the artistry that was put into lighters of that era. They are stylish and elegant compared to those disposable lighters of today. Then, there are the utility lighters made by Zippo.

Nice work on that classic !!

3. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Well done man!

4. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Now you will be able to offer to light a lady's cigarette like a proper gentleman!

5. hot diggity

I did a little research this evening. My lighter, marked only A-S-R Made in USA was made by the American Safety Razor Co. In the 1950's. :)

6. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

hot diggity, Besides lighter fluid what other fuel can be used in these?

Dunerunner likes this.
  7. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Any naptha fuel will do, and you can buy Coleman Fuel by the gallon unless the store hides it from the meth heads.

@hot diggity Sorry I answered for you. :cool:

8. hot diggity

No worries. ;) Crown Camp fuel can be had for half the price of Coleman fuel from Walmart if you order online for pickup.

I use a lot and stack it deep. I would never buy the quart size. It took me three Christmas Secret Santa gift exchanges to get one as a gift. :)

IMG_20221023_203453.

In the original can it'll keep indefinitely.

The trouble is decanting it into an easier to handle container. Ronson and Zippo fluid containers can have the lids pried off. You can refill them and snap the cap back on for an easy to handle container.

IMG_20230105_134942.

IMG_20230105_135041.

I can tell you that Ronson plastic fuel containers will swell up like a yellow balloon in a hot car and never leak. Some of the Zippo cans I've bought new were only half full. Did somebody use it, or did it evaporate? Nobody knows.

IMG_20230105_135107.

Zippo fluid has the least smell of any I've tried. I use it in my hand warmers. You can notice the difference if you carry the heater in a front jacket pocket when it isn't in your cold hands.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2023
    Brokor, SB21, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
  9. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

when I was a child working at the service station my boss would fill his zippo with the hose drainage from the gas pump

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. hot diggity

That'll work, but I wouldn't want to light a smoke with leaded gasoline.

Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
  11. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Boss still kick'n?

SB21, hot diggity and Dunerunner like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7