One of my Bug outs is gone

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Sherman, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Sherman

Sherman Dog Eat Dog

I had a good location as an option depending on the situation.

About 10 minutes from me is a secure Navy base that closed in 95.The facilities could only be seen by air. It was designed to be secret, they had antenna arrays and did cryptographic analysis.

It is an island with 2 bridges, on this island is a town. It had cute little cottages, barracks, mess hall, PO, PX, barber shop, bowling alley, theater, plenty of land to farm, its own water supply etc.

I figure a group could occupy it, blow the bridge at the southern entrance and control the north bridge. The north bridge is on secluded back roads and really only known by locals.

I've learned Dept. of wildlife, fish and game and enviro groups have won a case against the Navy to demolish it, break the levees and flood it to be used as wetlands habitat.
    What a waste of a great facility...

I don't have a good bugout location, I have great resources for a slow burn bug in. I need more options and want to find like minded individuals in my area. I don't think a family unit can go it alone in a full blown SHTF, you need people for security detail, chores, hunting, recovering resources like food and fuel etc.

2. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

That really sucks, ashamed they are destroying an asset.

3. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Ah but the poor ducks gotta have water weeds to hide in and water to poop in.....lol

4. Sherman

Sherman Dog Eat Dog

on the other hand it does mean plenty of duck dinners...
    My point is plans seem to be more dynamic than static, it's like you have to constantly monitor and revise your plan according to changes outside your control.

Plan A-C was with my 4x4 club, we had locations, guns, smart, resourceful, hardworking, reliable guys and there families. It was a fair plan, but the club dissolved, the plan fell apart. That was a couple yrs ago.

5. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

True.

We each have to be like MacGyver. No joke, either. I am getting older, and as I continue to do so, I see more clearly than I did before; one of the greatest points I have come to accept is that there are no coincidences. We must make the best of any situation, being adaptable and pliable enough to bend and not break; to move silently and quickly when we must, and to respond with enough force to repel, and never yield.

I do not see holding up in a hole in the ground for long periods as surviving. I plan to concentrate my efforts where the metal and the meat collide. I want to be a part of this world, and I want to help to make a difference. And I do not have a hole to hide in, so this is my only acceptable option at the moment. [rofllmao]

6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Absolutely true. [applaud] Once you've ginned up a plan, the thinking has to be tested constantly to be sure it will still work as originally schemed up. The world isn't static, and plans should also be flexible enough to bend and change accordingly. Complacency is your enemy, as much so as a pack of MZBs in the driveway.

7. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Methed-out Zombie Bikers?

8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

-:lol: well, could be. Conventionally, mutant zombie bikers. MMZB maybe?

9. PapaSasquatch

PapaSasquatch Monkey++

I'm glad you've mentioned the buddy system in SHTF scenarios as I've not actively built that aspect of my preparedness. In casual conversation with certain friends I've discussed some plans but usually turned them into WWZ joking around.

I think I'll carefully select some friends who take preparedness seriously and discuss some things like combining efforts in food storage and preparation, security, "territory," hunting, communications, etc. What I do fear is that potential for "friends" who when things get ugly can abandon reason...or since you don't know what your friends will resort to in SHTF mode, there could be some serious "Lord of the Flies" going on. "Well, looks like papasasquatch isn't ok with stealing crops from our unarmed friends, so it looks like he'll be outside the circle...'Hand over you guns and ammo papasasquatch and hit the road!'"

10. Monty

Monty Monkey+++

My father and I are teamed up but other than that most people haven't the first clue about preping.

I've been in touch with a friend whos a Marine and all around good person who is really been interested in survial and preping so maybe that would be and option.

I have noproblem being a lone wolf with my family, but chores, hunting cooking 24hours a day security will burn out the most seasoned person.

Sorry to hear your location is going to the birds, maybe SHF before it happens. You know how slow goverments can be.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7