One Police Officer Dead, Another Missing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Quigley_Sharps, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

JERSEY CITY, N.J. - Two police officers in an emergency truck plunged more than 40 feet off an open drawbridge in thick fog. One was killed; the other was missing and feared dead.

The vehicle fell into the Hackensack River on Sunday night, after the officers crossed the Lincoln Highway Bridge and placed flares to warn motorists that the bridge's safety warning system was not operating, said Police Chief Robert Troy.

Before the officers turned around and drove back across the river, the bridge's middle span was raised to allow a tugboat to go under.

"They dropped off the cones and the flares, wished everyone a Merry Christmas and were joking around. From what I've heard they were all in good spirits," Mayor Jerramiah Healy said.

"The horrible irony is they were responding to the very situation that caused their demise. The bridge operator wanted cones and flares and our police department was the first to respond."

The safety bar and bell used to warn motorists when the bridge is open had not been working for two days because a vehicle had crashed into them, officials said.

The body of Officer Shawn Carson, 40, was found Sunday night. Carson was a 16-year veteran of the force. Divers searched the 40-degree water Monday for Officer Robert Nguyen, 30, who had been with the police department for six years.

The bridge, which links Jersey City and Newark, is known by several names, including the Hackensack River Bridge.

2. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Sucky deal........and probably human error, but I'd blood test the bridge operator first thing.

3. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Man, stuff like this makes you really want to just scream at the stupidity of others. Those officers shouldn't have died. Who's fault it was is kind of regardless, but still...if I was a bridge operator I would have not raised the bridge, but instead would have yelled down at the boat to turn around. Or drown. [camo]

4. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Dumb accident. I suspect the Fog played a game on the Bridge operator though too.

Too bad.

5. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

yup [ditto]

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7