One Pre-Packed SHTF Bag Grab & Go No Time for Anything Else Your Recommendations

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by ED GEiN, Jul 15, 2017.

1. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

Rather than "stuff" you might want to think about taking a survival course such as http://www.survivalschool.us/ or something similar. There you will find out what works and what doesn't. While a $9 folder is better than nothing it's not what I have. You might also want to invest in some good firearms training such as https://www.gunsite.com/ or Firearm Training Courses: Gun Training, while education is "expensive" it can never be taken away, it's legal everywhere in this country and it gives you a leg up on 95% of the people out there. With the education, go out and camp for 3 days or so, see what works and what doesn't. Lastly, don't go cheap. Buy once cry once. As for LA, good luck, you and 20 million others and I don't even want to think about that.

arleigh likes this.
  2. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Well, he does need a certain amount of stuff before they will even let him take the course. haha. I agree about the knife though. Haha.
    And yeah, that's me in the video. Got no real tricks for making it out of the city.

3. duane

duane Monkey+++

While you have a decent start for a SHTF situation as long as the rule of law and some semblance of normality exists, and I pray that will happen, without some ability to either defend yourself or hide, if the situation degrades to total chaos, any kit you may put together will only aid someone stronger or better armed than you. While resources, everyday carry, BOB. etc, may aid in your survival, my personnel bias is that basic skills and situational awareness, both located between the ears, will be your most important survival tools. If you are not orientated towards fire arms, what will be the safest locations to shelter in, what will be the safest routes to travel on, in the longer run what will be the safest areas and will you be welcomed to stay in them. What types of support groups do you have, family, church, neighbors, for some military or police or governmental, etc. Building an excellent bag is a valuable aid in planning for problems and allows you to set your priorities and preplan some situations, but without knowledge and the ability to survive to use it, it may not help much in a real SHTF situation, but it would be a real asset in most real world situations that we face. Wildfire, hurricane, flood, earth quakes, etc will be much more survivable and you will be a lot more comfortable with a good bag and the non physical survival assets, copies of birth certificate, passport, car registrations, insurance documents, medical records, prescriptions copies that prove you should have a medication that my be abused and give you a chance to refill it if you are not at home or at your regular medical provider, etc have been shown to be invaluable in many emergency situations.

chelloveck likes this.
  4. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Have you considered a spear/walking stick or a slingshot or any more potentially lethal options that your state would not put up as much fuss about?

chelloveck likes this.
  5. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Where are you bugging out to, and how long do you think it will take you to get there (triple your first estimation)? After the initial bug out are you traveling by day or night? We can assume desert conditions?

chelloveck and Ura-Ki like this.
  6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Likely Desert Conditions inside the Metroplis of Greater SoCal... If he gets outside that area and still alive, THAT would be a BIG Acomplishment..... on the other hand, he will join all the other SoCal Sheep, and be Food for the Wolves...

7. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

One area I see many are not listing is BOOTS. Shoes will not cut it!!!
    Get a good pair and spend the time to break them in, and you need to wear then a few hours a week to keep your feet used to them. The last Thu g you want us to lace on your brand new boots and have to bug with them!!! The time and distances you will need them most will be cut way short because of fit and discomfort as you are now relying on them while you are breaking them in! So..... a good pair of logging or lineman boots are a good balance of long wear and rugged performance for extended wear, a good modern set of "Combat boots" would also work, but will trade long term wear and water proofing for comfort. Until a person is used to boots and takes the time to learn how to care for them, I would avoid the " Mountaineering boots" until you are actually physically ready for that step, other wise you will actually be less capable then the other types of boots!
    Once you have your boots and they are broken in and fitting properly, drill several small holes into the sole in both the heel and ball areas and install round head stainless coarse thread screws. This will extend the sole life by more then 4 times and will also allow use on ice! Avoid vibram soles, you wand a stiff rubber sole. Vibram will not last very long, especially in a urban setting, and will wear fast in the wilds due to the softer nature of the material. Danner boots are sort of a bench mark for good long lasting boots, and Red Wings are almost the equal of if you get the right pair. Georgia boots also make a really good pair of "Logging boots" and will actually be better for water proofing.

I wear boots every day, becAuse of where I live, and what I do for a living. I find Mountaineering boots perform way, way better for me, and will actually out last all others, BUT, they are Very expensive. Personally, I wear SALEWA M- 2 pro vertical boots. Yes, they are a true winter climbing boot, but they are flexible enough to allow extended hiking in all environments in heavenly comfort!!!
    Make sure you keep your fully broken in boots close at hand, they will be one of the most important survival items you have!!!

8. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I miss boots. Basically barefoot most of the time these days.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  9. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

LOL We have to repopulate during SHTF! Hygiene articles are mainly because for my location, SHTF involves people in the Urban/Metro areas and I find the cleaner more successful you look, the more people trust and cooperate with you, at least Cityfolk.

Firearms course is definitely on my future agenda, thanks. I wonder if they actually give Survival School courses based on being in a City itself. If not, that may be a good business opportunity for someone!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2017
  10. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Ed, many reasons to carry a few condoms and not all of them have to do with Saturday night. Do a thread search. They should be in every EDC or Bugout bag.

chelloveck and Tully Mars like this.
  11. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

Good point but in a City environment is there really a need? Obviously yes in the countryside.

12. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

It also makes you a target bud.
    You look all clean n shiney and most others don't, they're gonna want to know why...

Yard Dart, ED GEiN, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  13. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Yep...when the grey man is grubby, it may not pay to be well scrubbed up. Appearing good enough to eat, may also not be the look to be cultivating. ;) There's a difference between being hygienic and smelling like a metrosexual stockbroker. :eek:

Tully Mars and Ura-Ki like this.
  14. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

How far is the location to your bug out? If you don't need boots it isn't far enough. Even if you plan on driving, Boots because you may have to walk it. Extra socks designed for hiking minimum 3 pair. Change frequently and rotate. The pair you took off needs to be attached to the outside of your BOB so they can dry. Boots. Socks. Trust me on this.

Doubts? Take a ten mile hike in your regular shoes. Keep in mind you will likely do double that if bugging out.

chelloveck likes this.
  15. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

I think the electric razor is an odd choice. I don't think you want to be looking like you fell off the cover of GQ when everyone else has a three day beard.

Merkun and chelloveck like this.
  16. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

.....probably the strangest inclusion in a bag I have ever seen. If you really must shave in that time frame two disposable razors and a bottle of shave oil weigh about 10% of an electric and will be viable long after it is not. and yes BOOTS, no matter what your AO, even lightweight hikers that so common these days will be a huge advantage.

chelloveck likes this.
  17. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

Good point, unfortunately. Damn if you do and damn if you don't

Can't use a non-electric razor!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2017
    AxesAreBetter likes this.
  18. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

When necessity requires it; it's amazing what one can do, that one previously thought they couldn't.

Straight razor

Straight Razor Shaving For Beginners | The Art of Manliness

Safety razor

Learn How to Shave Like Your Grandpa | The Art of Manliness

AoM Podcast Episode #139 : The Secrets of a Perfect Shave MP3 - 38.1MB / 41mins 45 secs duration.
    https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/224488630/download?client_id=cUa40O3Jg3Emvp6Tv4U6ymYYO50NUGpJ

ED GEiN, 3M-TA3 and Tully Mars like this.
  19. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

How to survive in the big city - don't be there. In the case of LA you have a long damn way to go and most directions are not very friendly (desert). Not to rain on your parade, but LA county has 10 million people all of whom will be looking for something to eat and some way to survive jammed into 4000 sq. miles - that's 63 miles to a side just to get out of the county. Do you have a bicycle or scooter or moped? Spare tires, pump, luggage rack of some sort etc.

ED GEiN and Tully Mars like this.
  20. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

IMO shaving is a liability not an asset . OK I've worn a beard for almost 50 years . Only shaved when the job required it.
    Use you gear, rotate your food , and practice .
    Though you may know the area ,post some cataclysmic event things can change in an instant . buildings and freeway bridges topple in an instant during a significant earth quake. maps and compass not a GPS and practice using them may help you maneuver through the mess. In some events you may have to move toward the threat to get to where you can escape it.
    I recommend travel at night and a red lens for your flash light, to preserve your night vision, and reduce the possibility of attracting attention of others.
    More important than getting out is having some where to go whom are expecting you , and communications with them at least for a distance (2-3 miles) that they can know it's you coming , or you are injured or lost or there needs to be some one to verify your legitimacy being there. with whom ever may be controlling the traffic. If you don't practice with the radio , you won't kno your friends voice nor will they know yours ,and using/practicing the radio for the distance can be an asset as well . It's not wise to rely on cell sites especially during an event .
    Either they loose power or they are so jammed you not getting through any way.. I've been in such a disaster , it happened.
    we resorted to ham radio.

3M-TA3 likes this.
  1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. ED GEiN
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Coyote Ridge
  6. DKR
  7. Tully Mars
  8. Motomom34
  9. GOG
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. Asia-Off-Grid
    [ATTACH]
    Thread by: Asia-Off-Grid, Jul 25, 2018, 10 replies, in forum: Humor - Jokes - Games and Diversions
  13. DarkLight
  14. Fatum1965
  15. Thunder5Ranch
  16. Yard Dart
  17. Imasham
  18. Motomom34
  19. AxesAreBetter
  20. yeti695
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7