One Pre-Packed SHTF Bag Grab & Go No Time for Anything Else Your Recommendations

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by ED GEiN, Jul 15, 2017.

1. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

Yeah I have an electric bike and scooter. I should have added in my original post, it's too late now, that my sole goal was to stay alive for up to a week and go back home when the threat was gone after that time.

LOL I tried and failed miserably with a non-electric shaver!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2017
  2. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

I kinda see where you're coming from. I think many of us here are planning for the worst and if less happens, we're even better off. My question would be a problem in LA causing you to scoot for a week and then go home would not be, IMHO, a very big problem. What if one of those California wildfires tore through downtown LA? Or a major earthquake or at least one big enough to knock out several power sub-stations for several months were to hit? Then we can move on to bigger things like an EMP or financial meltdown (derivatives bubble popping), then what? A place to go is a must. A plan A,B,C,D is a must. Several routes out of Dodge are a must. It is so much more that what to put in a bag - it's a total mindset first and foremost, then a skillset that you have practiced and know works then finally "stuff". What are you preparing for will probably dictate what you are putting in your bag, but whatever that is, LA, to my way of thinking, is a death trap if things go south. I've flown into Santa Barbara a coupe of times from Michigan via Albuquerque and that corridor from the Az/Cal line west is NOT someplace I'd want to wind up in, not even in the mountains, not with 10+ million people swarming the area.

Motomom34, 3M-TA3 and Tully Mars like this.
  3. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Already put on vid up, 2 shouldn't hurt. Here's my pouch kit.

chelloveck likes this.
  4. Capt. Tyree

Capt. Tyree Hawkeye

I didn't notice your list mention a small tube of sunscreen (SPF 30+), nor a small container of a decent bug repellent (DEET content 20+%). Skin So Soft (made by Avon) has an unintended-by-manufacturer bug repellent capability, and can be used for dry hands, elbows etc as a skin conditioner. I don't believe it has any sunscreen ability.

The only issue with it is that it has an initial perfume-like smell (but it fades away). Also, the inclusion of a good floppy hat, G.I. boonie hat style, would be useful. It's the type that has the floppy brim all around. It is helpful in keeping the sun off your neck, as well as most of your face provided the brim extends out enough. It is collapsible, easily stored.

Also, as mentioned earlier, a good portable water filter (Pocket Pen?) would be a wise addition to your BOB kit. Thirst and dehydration due to outdoor exposure are often underestimated. This is especially so if one is unaccustomed to being in the sun for extended periods of time.

chelloveck and Tully Mars like this.
  5. Imasham

Imasham Monkey

So ED...after the various responses have you made any decisions or progress on your bag?

Motomom34 likes this.
  6. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

Ed, here's another thought. I just saw this this morning and thought of not only you, but anyone that has to lug a BOB any distance. http://dixonrollerpack.com/ You still don't want to pack the kitchen sink, but you can realistically pack 50 pounds AND carry it as you will only have 8-12 pounds on your hips, the rest will be on a wheel. Looking at some of the videos, guys were toting this thing in all kinds of terrain.

ED GEiN likes this.
  7. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

Probably going to do this in the next week or so. Have to contact Mr. AxesAreBetter for details about his EDC belt. Biggest difference about my "Needs/Expectations" with others on this forum is that mine are just based on being in a City area and getting out/holding on for up to a week or so in another City area and then getting back and resuming normalcy in Los Angeles. It's not like I am escaping into the Wilderness and hunting and fishing to survive. Different set of circumstances.

Motomom34 likes this.
  8. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

That's another interesting idea, thanks. Will research it more.

9. Imasham

Imasham Monkey

The biggest concern I have for you in this scenario is that if you're leaving a highly populated urban area because of some kind of trouble, I would assume multiple tens of thousands will be attempting to do so as well. Hotels will book up fast so you should plan on being out the entire time. You are going to need to leave before most others do (only possible if the incident starts off small and begins to develop such that you decide to go) or be able to get away quickly (since most events that will cause you to evacuate will happen with little or no warning).

ED GEiN likes this.
  10. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Ed, which city are you planning on bugging out to? Keep in mind that wherever you go it's unlikely there will be available hotel rooms so unless you have friends or relatives there you will likely be camping. Many of us live in large cities, though I am rectifying that next year.

11. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

We don't know for sure where in LA ol' Ed is located, but there's no other city within walking distance except more LA. I must say, I fear for Ed's odds ---

12. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

Agreed

13. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

So do I, lol! While others may not share the same beliefs, I believe one can find a safe hiding area to bide ones time, for a week when SHTF occurs. Example, of which I the scenario played out totally different than what I read/imagined, "The Rodney King Riots". I was away living Europe at the time but my sister and her family lived in LA. I seriously thought and was 100% wrong, that Blacks were on the Warpath like the Zombies of the Walking Dead, going to each area in LA and trying to kill every White Person they Saw. If that had actually happened in LA, I just would have looked and hid out in an unlikely spot to be found. The reality was according to my sister, that life was the same in LA, though there may have been some curfews and added Police/National Guard.

14. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

During the Landers/Big Bear quake the valley was isolated all 3 roads in were blocked and or broken and no vehicles in or out, and being on a week end , lots of visitors . Gas stations ran out of fuel the first day. restaurants ran out of food too but by the third day one of the roads was opened.
    Lots of folk lived in tents a while or stayed in the high school gym since most other accommodations had been filled..
    Every one behaved pretty well considering the event, and it didn't stop shaking for weeks fallowing ,even some hard shakes occurred moving cars in a parking lot. 3 days later.
    A lot of hill sides broke loose and from the back side of the mountain,, people in Lucern and Victorville watched the dust from a fissure across the top of the mountain like watching a steam locomotive ,only faster.
    Point is running to the hills during such an event can be more hazardous seeing there will be no one to hear you scream being piled on by rock , or tree branches or trees for that matter, falling.
    What happens in the city happens in the country too.
    LA is a maze of freeways and bridges and over passes , and buildings, some went down during the quakes they've had .
    If you plan on getting out during that kind of event, Assume the worst ,keep you maps and compass handy, and I recommend navigating at night.
    In that crowded an environment I can't believe that it would be safer on the streets than your home, unless it has been destroyed or your next to gangs .
    It almost seems that you need to establish some reliable friends that you can join up with, to ride out the storm with ,or they with you.

Motomom34, Tully Mars and ED GEiN like this.
  15. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

And that's just for an earthquake where outside help will be coming. If the grid goes down, even if only a month or only, say, the lower half of California, all bets are off.

Tully Mars, ED GEiN and Yard Dart like this.
  16. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

Wow good points, thanks. I take it you lived around there or am I wrong? If you did, would you if possible, left the area temporarily for a few weeks afterwards till things stabilized?

arleigh likes this.
  17. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

That's what I'm really scared of! And people in Southern California, in my opinion are Aholes and for the most part idiots which doesn't help.It's not so much worrying about food and water that scare me, its protecting this stuff against the hordes of the populace here- I've never seen more White Trash than any other area I've ever lived in!!!

18. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Pot, Kettle, Black.... Eddie Boy....

19. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

20. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

No I don't think so but you're too _________ to realize that. I don't tell people in a forum that a member may be trying to lure people for the Government to Investigate/Arrest because someone apparently is "jealous" that people reply to my posts or doesn't like my attitude. I'm not inviting you over for Passover. That was a joke. PS The Posts in question have been deleted but I did not appreciate being accused of something because apparently something in a reply I made did not sit well with another member which he then accused me of having an ulterior purpose in making.

1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. ED GEiN
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Coyote Ridge
  6. DKR
  7. Tully Mars
  8. Motomom34
  9. GOG
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. Asia-Off-Grid
    [ATTACH]
    Thread by: Asia-Off-Grid, Jul 25, 2018, 10 replies, in forum: Humor - Jokes - Games and Diversions
  13. DarkLight
  14. Fatum1965
  15. Thunder5Ranch
  16. Yard Dart
  17. Imasham
  18. Motomom34
  19. AxesAreBetter
  20. yeti695
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7