Online Security

Discussion in 'Technical' started by melbo, Jul 30, 2015.

1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

2. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

3. melbo

2FA is a form of login security that requires something you know (password/passphrase) and something you have (phone or physical key)
    Two-factor authentication - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I use an app called Google Authenticator for phone/ipad and a Yubikey as a physical key. Many services offer this in some form or other. For example, for me to log into my Paypal account requires my username, password and then a code which is sent to my phone as a text (SMS).

You can set it up at SM using either method here if you want to test: https://www.survivalmonkey.com/account/two-factor Download the Google Authenticator app first :)

Just remembered that I created a thread on this @Hanzo
    Two-Factor Authentication | Survival Forums

Tully Mars and Hanzo like this.
  4. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Mahalo @melbo.

melbo likes this.
  5. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Melbo i normally use 2FA but on this site it wants it everytime I log in. its way to intense for me to use on this site just saying

6. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Sla Ker ;)
    :p

Ganado likes this.
  7. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Lol @yard_dart. Pfft... 2x; 4x a day is ridiculous amount of 2FA

Yard Dart likes this.
  8. melbo

There should be a check box to not ask you for some period of time

I'm not asked unless I log out or access the admin CP

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  9. melbo

image.

10. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I think it's a function of mobile usage tbh. It's one of the things I miss about taptalk. Firefox works but has far more quirks

11. Yard Dart

Tapatalk was corrupted.... better to stay away from it!!!!

12. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Pfft just because you forgot to turn you message notifications off. This site comes with auto notice 'on' unless you turn it off ... lol. =]

13. melbo

I'm on mobile and only get prompted for 2FA if I log out although I'd actually prefer that it ask me daily.

14. melbo

How do you mean?
    Subscriptions to most alerts and notifications here is opt-in. Or do you mean the way TT was set up?

15. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

When I initially joined it sent me notifications to every thread I 'watched'. I still get emails on old threads that become reactivated and have to unsuvscribe each one.

I'm not complaining. Just stating facts

Tully Mars, Motomom34 and melbo like this.
  16. melbo

Oh yeah. If you watch a thread it asks you if you want to be emailed or not. I thought you meant that you were auto subscribed for alerts and emails o every thread you've made a post in. This is an option (I use it) but it's not default behavior like it was a couple of years ago.

17. melbo

18. Yard Dart

To fix that issue... just Unwatch the thread and then just hit Watch again without email notifications.... every know and then I have those pop up as well on older watched threads. Easy peazy :)

Tully Mars and Motomom34 like this.
  19. hitchcock4

hitchcock4 Monkey++

It must be your mobile usage. I use the 2FA on Survivalmonkey (with Google Authenticator) and as long as I check the "7 day" box it only asks every week. It even keeps track of computers separately -- that is, I access Survivalmonkey from 2 different laptops and it may ask me to use 2FA on Monday on computer 1 and use 2FA on Wednesday on computer 2.
    Maybe try using a different browser on your mobile? I have Chrome and Firefox installed on my Android but haven't used this site on my mobile.

Yard Dart and melbo like this.
  20. melbo

This is the way it's supposed to work. Thanks for the verification.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7