Only women should possess Hair Dryers......

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by BTPost, Jan 4, 2014.

1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

MARION TOWNSHIP (KDKA) — A man trying to thaw the pipes with a blow dryer and heater in his Beaver County home sparked a large fire Friday.

The single-story home, built on stilts because of its proximity to a nearby creek and the creek’s tendency to flood, was destroyed in the multiple-alarm fire.

The blaze broke out around 4 p.m. along Eckert Stop Lane in Marion Township.

Firefighters from companies in both Beaver and Butler counties battled the flames in frigid, single-degree temperatures.

“The house was so far gone, there was nothing we could do to save it when we got to the scene,” Assistant Fire Chief John Murtha told KDKA-TV’s Ralph Iannotti.

Homeowner Leonard Szulczewski, at times in tears, says he lost everything in the fire, including his treasured baseball memorabilia collection.

The fire started after Szulczewski used a hair dryer and a propane or kerosene heater to thaw out frozen pipes under the house.

He said he apparently fell asleep on a couch and was awakened by popping sounds.

Szulczewski managed to get out safely.

tulianr likes this.
  2. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Oh man....I'd be totally lost without a hairdryer to style my mullet!

The filbert's problem was not that he used a hairdryer per se to thaw the pipes, but that he did so in combination with devices using volatile, combustable fuel.....UNSUPERVISED...
    ohno

As they say...dumb is as dumb does....having a smoke / CO detector may have given him enough time to save his treasured baseball memorabilia.

3. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

"He said he apparently fell asleep on a couch" Or maybe just monitoring what he was doing?:rolleyes:

4. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

I had frozen pipes one time, I waited till the Ocean thawed and then worried about the repairs.

5. BTPost

In Alaska, when we had Metal pipes and they froze, we took a welder and put it across the the frozen section and heated the pipe that way. Used the water pressure to force the slush from the pipe as it melted. Once I used it on Copper piping and got it so hot, I melted the solder joints, and had to resolder a few, but it did thaw the pipes.

chelloveck likes this.
  6. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

This is not the first time I've heard of this kind of thing happening with propane heaters being used to heat pipes that are frozen. Usually its because the people wander off to do other things while the pipes are being heated.

Another potential Darwin award winner.

chelloveck and Yard Dart like this.
  7. whynot

whynot Monkey+++

His last name pretty much sums it up. Let the Pollack jokes begin. My family escaped Beaver county 30 years ago and I will never go back.

Whynot

8. William Warren

William Warren Monkey+++

Around here (New England), we get frozen pipes "now and then", and plumbers usually use propane torches to heat copper pipes, but the question I have is "How do I thaw plastic pipes"?

William Warren

9. kellory

heat tape, heating pad, or hot air.

10. kellory

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  11. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

We just leave the water running a teeny bit at night to keep the pipes unfrozen. One of the locals said she was the only one of her neighbors who did that when we had the typical deep freeze we get once during cold season, and all the neighbors had frozen pipes.

12. BTPost

That NEW Heat Tape that uses two parallel Wires encased in semiconducting Plastic, which is good for 3 Watts per foot. Then wrap the pipes with that, and then overWrap the pipes with those Foam Pipe Covers. Here in Alaska we bury that wrapped pipe in a split PVC Pipe, about four feet down, below the frost line. That is how I built my Potable Water Line from the Well House into the cabin. (About 25 ft). Hasn't ever even got slushy in two decades, even at -25F outside.........

chelloveck likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7