Operation Bugout Test . . .

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Seawolf1090, Sep 29, 2007.

1. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Having read on another forum of some guys staging unscheduled BO tests to check their gear, I decided to do the same.
    Wednesday night, six PM, go time! Took me a half hour to assemble everything (except longarms - gotta make exceptions for legal safety - in case of encountering LEO) - gotta work on that! Too long!
    Got the gear loaded on the BO vehicle, my KLR bike.
    Motored down the road, turned down another road - in five minutes, I am in the woods. I motored about ten miles into the National Forest - far enough from town for immediate safety from the rioting masses (simulated).
    I thought . . .
    I managed to make my way into the trees, easing between tham to a point well out of sight of the waterhole I decided to camp near. No visible game trails - don't want to meet Brer Bear or Wile E. Coyote.
    I had thought this AO would be a good rally point for a team or Bug Out Group. Gotta rethink it, as you'll see.
    Parked the bike, and made camp. Used my 2.5lb. SG bivy tent again, and a GI sleep pad and GI wool blanket. Too warm this night for a sleeping bag. Used my esbit stove to brew up a quick cup of instant Java.
    Settled in to await the dark.
    This was Full Moon Night - the moon came up very bright - could read a map by the light! I also kept hearing traffic, about a car an hour, on the gravel part of the closest forest road - thought I was further than that!
    Sleep came in fits and bits - I awoke every hour or so, often due to the vehicle traffic - dang it, I thought I was 'remote'! Note to self - gotta get way farther away from the bigger dirt roads!!
    Mosquitoes were buzzing, mostly outside the mesh of the bivytent. Found a weak point - with my size, the top of the mesh rested on my body - the buggers got me thru the screen! Note two to self - wear a long sleeve shirt and pants to bed!
    Later that night, dew got heavy - so I slid the partially secured rainfly all the way down. Made it warmer inside too - I was using the GI blanket for a pillow. Another hour or so - I had to use the blanket - got cooler than expected. Used clothing as a pillow. Had a stiff neck in the morning.
    Note three - pack a travel pillow with the sleep roll.
    Didn't hear any close critters this time, unlike last time. Few bugs either, except the skeeters. I did watch a large web spider doing his web-crawling down from a pine tree - made me think of Robert the Bruce.
    Had the CZ52 loaded and chambered in case of unannounced visitors.
    Finally rolled out about 7AM, just as the sun is coming up. Stiff, not a restful night - but learned some lessons! I loaded up and motored back home.
    So, the forest is busier at night than I had thought - must keep that in mind! Especially as we are fast approaching hunting season.

2. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

That's a great way to find potential problems and "work the bugs out".

I think if I had to sleep on the ground at this point, I probably couldn't walk for a week.

3. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Nice. ;)

Please keep the updates coming! It's good to see practical exercises like this becoming a useful tool. Some would be surprised at how much equipment can be eliminated through field testing, not to mention the changes with the adoption of new kit that actually serves a purpose.

I think that I went through three completely different set-ups before I became comfortable with my BO kit. I finally settled with a modular outfit where the load set up can be systematically lightened, keeping the most crucial items closest to me. This makes for a fast escape, and does not jeopardize the mission.

4. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Nice. We make changes everytime we go out.
    It's the only way to make sure you have what you need and can carry it.

It's great that you got to realize that you may need a more secluded place to stay the night.

5. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

You MAY need a more secluded place but one thing that a lot of folks dont realize if they havent spent a lot of time in rural settings is just how far road noise travels when its quiet. I know liveing on a rural highway, even as bad as my hearing is, I can hear tires on the pavement almost a mile away and over at our friends house where the blacktop is about 1.5 miles away, if theres no other noise like conversation or stereo, just natural noise you can hear when cars turn onto the gravel. So you MAY be further from the road than you thought based on sound.

Sounds like you got some good info from it though.

6. spamghod

spamghod Monkey+++

Yep, I like survivalblog.com too!

7. andy

andy Monkey+++

remember sound travels farther at night to...

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7