Our Generac Bent a Push Rod

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Kathy in WV, Sep 25, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Kathy in WV

Kathy in WV Just runnin' the ridges...

After running a bit less than 700 hours. Replacement rods were really cheap thank goodness. Still, it was an expensive generator and it has me spoiled by its convenience. I used to have to pull out the portable genny, fill it up, yank and yank the cord sometimes, lol. It didn't take long to get used to laying in the bed and waiting for the Generac to self start. Anyway, what do you guys think about the pushrod issue after only 700 hours? (And hi everybody, been AWOL here awhile).

Motomom34 likes this.
  2. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Welcome back, Kathy!
    Two things come to mind right off. First is it was a fluke. I've seen other engines do the same thing for no obvious reason.
    The second thing would only apply if the genny hadn't been run in a good while. If one of the valves stuck for a moment, that could have caused it.
    But given that it sounds like it's set to automatically exercise, I'd go with the first.

3. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I'd contact the company.... Not the kind of failure you'd expect from a high line genset.

4. Kathy in WV

Kathy in WV Just runnin' the ridges...

It does cycle itself on and off regularly. And also where we live the power is out pretty often. I love the fact it has built in self preservation, in that if its not running right, gets over heated etc...it shuts down until you check it. Found a hole in our preps! We dont have the tools or something hubby needed to set some kind of clearance or gap? after replacing the rod. Don't flame me for ignorance, lol.

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

A bent pushrod is NOT normal, even if it was overspeeded. Faulty material or a lube failure, maybe. Either way, contact the seller, it might be covered by a quiet warrantee.

1. techsar
  2. Benjamin A. Wood
  3. Asia-Off-Grid
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
    Resource

Generator FAQ 2001

Generator FAQ, By Steve Dunlop. [img]