Peak Oil- what it is and how it will impact your life

Discussion in 'Peak Oil' started by Minuteman, Aug 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

You are certainly not making a fool of yourself. The only stupid questions are the ones unasked. Learning is always the right path. I think, especially as a newcomer to this topic, you should forget about the peak part of it. The peak is a certainty, it will happen, or has, and we will inevitably begin to produce less and less of the life blood that fuels this world. That is simple mathematics, when you use more than you produce you are going to eventually run out.They realized this by the late 1800's. However, the TEOTWAWKI scenarios are years past any peak.
    The most immediate thing you are going to need to watch for, and prepare for is higher energy costs. Yes there are lots of alternatives out there but it takes energy to produce them and at this time they are decades at least from having any significant impact on the costs we will be paying in the future.

We will still be using fossil fuels well into our children and grandchildren's lifetimes, but who knows what they will be paying for it. So some practical things to do today is to buy fuel efficient vehicles, use solar and wind power as much as possible. Go into the alternative energy industry, help come up with the solutions that may prevent the most dire of the TEOTWAWKI scenarios.

Be a part of the solution not the problem. As long as the world is addicted to oil and consumes it faster than it can be extracted, we are going to have a problem.

You ask where I see us in 5 years. Not much different than today. We will probably have seen a few new highs for gasoline and heating oil prices. As the fields that are being exploited today start to deplete, which all indications are that they will in much less time than conventional fields, we will see prices start to rise again. It will get to a point where many people have to change and adjust their lifestyles to accommodate. We saw this when gasoline was running at $4 a gallon.
    People were quitting better paying jobs that they had to commute to for lower paying jobs closer to home. The large gas guzzling SUV's were practically unsellable. People began to car pool and to use public transportation more.
    I expect to see all of that again but on a much larger scale.

Eventually, when who knows, but eventually, if we do not reverse the trend of the last 60 years and start discovering new mega fields, if some new technological advance does not come along, if some new energy source is not developed, and not just to run cars, but airplanes, electrical generation, and to replace fertilizer, plastics, the list goes on, then we will see a day when only the rich can afford air travel, when only the more wealthy among us are able to drive gas using vehicles, when we struggle to make enough money to just keep the lights and the heat on in our homes. A time when multi-generational living will be the norm. Co-ops where many people live together and share the energy costs will be common place. Those things we will probably see. If things continue as they are. Not in 5 years but in our lifetimes.

2. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Minuteman, first of all I salute you on a magnificent post. 58 pages Im still the first page but will read this entire thread but I think I got the core of it in the first few. I think really we are going to have to push for "Individual" energy independence. Ge your Solar panels now. Start producing some of your own energy now. break away from burning oil now. Use less in your car, boat and tractor and start walking more and tilling your garden by hand. The more an entire country can conserve to longer the oil lasts. I do not see Michigans consumers energy company building thousands of acres of solar panels to supply the state but I do see millions of homes producing 20 amps of 110 volts ac to power a simple refrigerator and freezer, a couple lights and a lap top. To me the answer lies in giving the people incentive to harvest the sun and wind. If every home created just 10% of its power the drain on the grid would slow down.

My plan going forward has been discussed here on another forum. I started by not buying a new Oil furnace and converting to a wood stove that does not require any electricity to heat my entire home. I had my electrical distribution panels rebuilt to allow us versatility in using grid, generator or alternative power. I can use Solar, wind, wood gas, steam or even some micro hydro power. I do not plan on trying to match what I use now. My target is just a little more then the bare minimum I need but having the ability to maintaining it for (several generations) . Much like Lords of the past Ill pass this farm on to my son who will pass it on to his son. Your early posts are spot on in that the people MUST localize everything. Food production must be on site or at a neighbors house within walking distance. Trade rabbits for eggs, Fish for milk and so on. These things are coming. My long term plan is to stockpile NOW stores of grease, motor oil, and wood cutting supplies such as carts, axes and chainsaw parts. I know that gas will continue to rise in cost and cutting in other areas is the key to having funds to purchase remaining gasoline. I am now growing trees for this future. I cut all my fire wood 5 miles from my home saving all local wood for later when it will be too expensive to get to. Just like oil eh? Using less now will extend our reserves so I would ask my countrymen to start now to make some of your own power, grow some of your own food and raise some of your own livestock. Protect your lakes and rivers as these are priceless supplies of fish and other animal products. I am going to buy another 500 gallon Propane tank and fill it. I have one now that just sits waiting for the day when I need to use it. Converting my jeep to run on propane will ensure we have a vehicle to run in the future. Ill horde that suypply of Propane and use it only to pump water and power wood cutting for many years. I am also getting real good at long term gasoline storage. This past season I cut all of my wood with 4 year old Stabilized Marine gas. The saws ran perfect and I have a gallon left to use next year. I am certain it will run the saws perfect after 5 years . I keep my gas at ground temperature in 5 gallon gas cans using stabil for boats. The gas is alcohol free and once stabilized can be used out to 4 years kept in this way. Next season Ill let you all know how well the 5 years old gas works. It looks and burns just like fresh gas. There is some odor from the stabil but that is all. So we are growing much of our food, moved to house on a lake, built a long term propane back up system and am working every month on things to make us more self reliant. I have learned some basic smelting and black smithing and will be working on my carving skills. All of my retirement has gone away so I'm in this for the long haul now. Feed myself or die.

Minuteman and Yard Dart like this.
  3. Micro Farad

Micro Farad Monkey

Do you have your own micro-hydro or is that a future plan? Just curious because your preparation sounds quite impressive! Micro-hydro is fascinating to me.

4. Minuteman

Good on you Kingfish. Like I told Micro Farad, be part of the solution not the problem. Our gluttonous consumption of finite resources is going to eventually land us in a place we don't want to be. It should make all Americans hang their heads in shame that we are the number one consumer, and wasters, of energy on the planet. I would have to look back in this thread but the exact numbers are there. We are only IIRC, 6% of the world population yet we consume, again IIRC, 60% of the worlds energy. That is an enormous amount for our population size. And the only way to cut that gorging use will be extravagant prices. As long as fuels are relatively cheap to use we will continue to burn them up as fast as we can.

5. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

I disagree with high prices being the only way we will change. EDUCATION is the real key. It worked for me:D. I am completely against the government controlling us in this matter. Agenda 21 is a horrifying plan for humanity. I will fight them to my death. The right course is for Government to empower its people to solve the problem. Tax breaks for citizens to install solar is great start. We have to stop subsidizing corporations and start helping the people. The people have been led to the slaughter house by government. It is not the opposite. If given the choice the people would choose clean energy and all of us know it. It is time for the people to do this on our own.

6. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Micro Farad, I live over 100 feet above a small lake. I can use Micro Hydro by using wind to pump water from the lake up into cisterns and then letting it flow back down to the lake. Study the Ludington Pump storage project in Ludington Michigan. They pump water from Lake Michigan into a Man made lake then run it back into Lake Michigan through turbines. For me it would have to rely on wind to move the water up to storage tanks. This would not be a constant power source for sure so it would have to be coupled with solar and possibly a wood fired system. There are several pre made units that would work for me in 12 or 24 volt dc. The only thing holding us back is funds. So far we have come a long way. My plan went like this, secure short term disaster first. That started with a gas fed 3000 watt Honda generator for short term power outages. I then added a 1900.00 Distribution Panel system which incorporates three panels which can be run together or separate using slide plate manual cut offs. There is a thread here in the Archives with detailed pictures and even some debate. I can now operate part of my house on the grid while powering other circuits on alternative power. I am building into it. The master electrician who wired my system said it was brilliant and it passed local inspectors with flying colors. He wired in my new stand alone 8000 watt Generac Guardian series Propane generator at that time. Now we have long term covered for limited use. I have calculated that I have enough propane to run my unit for 1 hour per week for about 10 years or 20 years to just pump water for 1/2 hour every week. We will use a system of pump and store for our water. Securing long term drinking water was number 1 on my list. That is where we are right now. My next step is an Inverter and Battery bank of Rolls batteries and an Outback 2500 watt inverter. From there we will build a charging system most likely a moderate solar array. I am looking to just power refrigeration and a freezer. We already spent the big bucks to get low wattage low energy 5 star appliances. This saved tens of thousands in solar. So as you can see we started at the bottom with a Kill-a-watt meter and removed the energy eaters replacing them with more efficient appliances. We wont be running electric coffee makers and toasters, electric hot water or central air. Water will be heated with wood fire. cooking with wood , heat with wood. Electricity reserved for pumping water and keeping a frig and freezer and some low wattage lights television and computer. During that 1/2 hour while we pump water we can also run some power tools. I am planning on doubling my propane reserves real soon in fact before we get our inverter. I feel I have to buy propane this summer when it comes down as Im afraid the price of propane is abut to go sky high in the next couple years. Two years ago we filled the 500 for 1.90 a gallon. That is much higher now so I cant wait much longer. My goal is have 2200 gallons on site. This summer we are going to cut 5 years worth of green oak fire wood and let it season. I will also cut one years supply of dead standing for the 2014/2015 winter. We have several special projects this summer as well. Expanding the rabbit operation to 12 breeding does and 4 bucks. This involves moving them outside from the barn which does two things. Expands hutch space and gives us dry storage for the extra hay to feed them. We are also seeding the entire lower yard of 2 acres in Alfalfa so we can cut the grass and feed it to the rabbits. This will triple our rabbit feed. We are expanding our garden to include raised beds up by the house for more delicate plants. The lake is a pantry by itself and has a very healthy population of pan fish and Northern Pike and no public boat launch. Cat tail are abundant all around the lake. They a good source of carbs replacing potatoes if necessary. We planted 30 fruit trees three years ago and they are starting to produce now. Still lacking in canning jars and reusable lids. W e also need to dig and build an outhouse. I have a long way to go before we are even 70% self reliant. KF

7. Micro Farad

Micro Farad Monkey

In Washington state, where I live, about 70.7% of our electrical energy comes from hydroelectric dams, 6.3% nuclear, and 3.4% from wind turbines, so the vast majority of our electrical power is essentially guaranteed (except for solar flares, but nobody is safe from that!). I worry more about our cooking and heating, which is natural gas. Cooking could be done using electricity (induction cookers are almost as nice to use as gas) but we have essentially no plan B for heating unless we moved the small woodstove that heats our barn into the house. We have a lot of wood, but it would go fast.

My family has switched to energy efficient lighting and appliances and we're considering putting in solar, but there have been other expenses preventing that for a few years now.

8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

@Micro Farad What I would do in that situation, is build a small Studio, out back, by the Barn, somewhere. Maybe two rooms, with a loft. Super Insulate it, and use it for a Guest Cabin, for now. Then if you lose your Heating Supply Energy, you move into the Studio, and heat it with the Wood Stove, from the barn. In that situation, it then becomes the Lifeboat, till things either stabilize, or you work out alternate Heat Sources, you can afford, for the Main House.... ...... YMMV....

9. Micro Farad

Micro Farad Monkey

The barn has an area which could be converted to living space, it basically just needs insulation, a door to separate it from the rest of the barn, and a better floor (it is bare concrete slab now).

10. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

You might want to consider insulating the concrete Floor with foam board, and then lay down a grid of PEX Tubing, and the flowing a 2" slab over the top. This then can be fed Hot Water from a Water Jacket, or Stack Coil attached to the Wood Stove. This uses the floor as a HeatSink to heat the Guest Living Space as well as heating the Air, in the space. Remember to build an outside Air Intake for the Wood Stove, so it does NOT use Room Air to combust the Fuel. (Wood) That makes a very cozy LifeBoat, if you Super Insulate the Walls and Ceiling.... ....

11. Minuteman

A couple of recent articles. I think that they are fairly accurate. It has been hard to continue the discussion of peak oil lately when all we see is these rosy, grandiose proclamations of how our production is rocketing. I suppose it is human nature to latch onto anything positive but to do so without a critical look at the big picture is dangerous. The recent upswing in our production levels is great but it is a false hope as it cannot be sustained. How far have fuel costs dropped due to this increase?
    I have stated so many times that it is almost a mantra, peak oil does not mean the end of oil, it means the end of CHEAP oil. When the price to produce this vastly expensive product exceeds the profit to be made from it, or most likely price it out of the range of most, then we will feel the impacts of it.
    I see this current production and, relatively, mild fuel prices, as a brief reprieve from the more dire consequences of peak oil. A reprieve that we need to exploit while we have time. Unfortunately it tends to have the effect of increasing consumption, negating serious efforts to develop alternative fuels, to increase fuel efficiency, to promote fuel conservation.
    I was asked in a previous post where I saw us in 5 years. I stand by that prediction and fear that it may prove to be prophetic.

America: You’ve got three more years to drive normally!

Oil prices falling, but maybe not for long: Jefferies - Yahoo Finance

"Fracking production has temporarily held down driving costs, and has thus bought us a few more years of energy crisis denial; for now, driving is expensive but commonly affordable (our global warming denial can still go on for a little longer).

However, driving as usual will probably have to end with the end of the current fracking boom, as soon as its mounting profit losses kill new investment in production. The reason we can’t frack our way out of our oil addiction is that fracking really doesn’t pay off very well. The drilling costs are high compared to conventional oil production, since fracking involves a lot of lateral drilling, plus the great additional energy expense of breaking up a lot of underground rock using high pressure water.

You can produce oil at about $100 a barrel this way, but this tight oil commonly contains a lot of volatile but less valuable condensates like butane. Fracking wells also tend to mostly deplete in just a few years, much faster than old-fashioned conventional oil wells. Although the best fracking wells can still be profitable, the most profitable parts of the major U.S. fracking fields have already been drilled and produced since the low hanging fruit always gets picked first.

Today most energy companies are actually losing money on their oil and gas production.

Today most energy companies are actually losing money on their oil and gas production. This lack of profit, even at the current high price of $100 per barrel, is the way that the world of energy investment tells us that we are reaching peak oil. Peak oil is not exactly geological, although geology has a whole lot to do with it. Peak oil is actually reached when people can no longer afford what it costs to to produce it.

The official U.S. Energy Information Administration recently released a chart which shows that the top 127 oil and gas companies are currently losing money."

12. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

What's the breakdown of payroll look like for the oil corporations, from bottom up? I'm not a betting man, but I would wager the top 1/3rd echelon wouldn't be hurt one bit, and the oil business is quite profitable no matter what the stories are about it being "so darned expensive it can't be done for profit" any longer. It's trickle-down economics at its best. Oil cartels run up the prices, control the oil supplies, the economy tanks because mom and pop Joe and every business on the planet is digging deep just to drive, and the U.S. is highly dependent upon transportation, not to mention the incessant wars drive up usage, so the bottom line is these oil cartels have to keep pumping more and more oil out and they pay more because everything else costs more, too. It's insanity.

Sure, oil is tougher to get to in some places, but not everywhere. Sure, oil cartels are seeking out more ways to get even more oil, and sure we are using WAY MORE than we ought to. But, I know (and I also hope you know) that we have had technology in place to make cars far more gas efficient for decades. I am not just talking about hybrid technology nor am I thinking about pure solar. We all know the corporate influence on this issue is disgusting, and the lobbyists continue to have their way in the political arena.

Just in my lifetime I have seen oil go from less than a dollar a gallon (many of you can remember when it was little more than a quarter) up to nearly $5, and it's only going to continue to rise. The dollar has lost its value, folks -plain and simple. And, the ONLY way they can keep this ship from sinking is to continue siphoning the oil and controlling that petro-dollar crude market.

AmericanRedoubt1776 likes this.
  13. Minuteman

I well understand your skepticism. And yes there is a very sordid history of oil companies suppressing competing technologies. If it weren't for JD Rockefeller we would have a nationwide train service like most of Europe has. But that was mainly in the day of the mega monopolies and the big oil boogeyman today just doesn't wield that kind of power and influence anymore. The shadow of JDR stretches over much of the perception of the oil business to this day.

As for the breakdown of payroll it is again a matter of seeing the big picture. We hear these stories of the fantastic, record setting profits made by big oil companies but what most people fail to realize is that the oil industry also has the highest return of those profits of any other industry. Meaning they have to reinvest, if I recall correctly, as much as 60 cents of every dollar of profit back into the exploration, production and delivery of their product to produce the next dollar.
    As for return on investment they are not even in, again IIRC, the top 5. The highest return of profit for dollar invested is in the pharmaceutical industry.

And just as JDR's monopoly could manipulate the price of oil in his day, that to is a specter of history. Oil today is a global product produced and sold the world over by thousands of different companies in dozens of different countries. The lobbyists in the USA have little impact on trade in Asia or the ME. If Exxon wants to raise the price it charges for it's product the Russian oil companies will gladly sell there's at a lesser amount. It just simply isn't plausible that all of these companies, cartels, etc. can get together and agree on a grand global strategy to somehow inflate the price of their product. They can't agree to disagree on anything. We have seen that with the once all powerful OPEC nations. They undercut their partners, over inflate their reserve figures, lie and cheat on export numbers. The idea of some global consensus to falsely inflate the price of oil is conspiracy theory of the highest order.

So yes, believe it or not the cost of producing oil is rapidly approaching the point to where it is not economically viable to do so. Not at today's prices. And yes many companies are producing fields right now that are putting their profits in the red. They do so in hopes of the price rising in the future so they can make a profit then on the reserves they produce today.

If you were aware of the oil situation in the 80's it is much the same as today. When oil dropped to $4 a barrel (forced down by overproduction by OPEC, the last time they ever wielded that kind of power) it forced American producers to start shutting in their wells. They simply cost more to produce than they could make. And of course then you had the cry that they were intentionally shutting in wells to dry up supply and drive up the price. Again the specter of the all powerful JDR loomed large and of course "Dallas" was a hit at that time and JR Ewing didn't help the public image of oil companies.

The big picture, the truth of the matter, is that oil is becoming much more scarce and invariably much harder and ergo expensive to produce. And there will come a point when it costs more to produce than the public is willing or more apt, able to pay.

14. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

How are cartels working together? It's simple...everything is a corporation. Certainly, some international corporate cartels compete, and that's why there's war. For example, Russia, China and the United States are all fighting over the oil in the Middle East. My point is, the cartel which fuels our country (namely Shell, Exxon, and BP along with Texaco, Gulf, Mobil, and Chevron) will stop at nothing until they control as much of the oil reserves as they possibly can. They do this because it's all they have to keep this destructive economy going and it's all they have to perpetuate their own existence.

The oil provides a great incentive to control the Middle East -of course it is profitable!

I think you and I are on the same mode of thinking when we discuss the oil situation, for the most part. We can both agree it's running out, and we can agree we are using increasingly more oil with each year. This all equals a zero sum conclusion, and the oil corporations are scrambling to get as much of it as possible. Our economy relies upon oil, plain and simple. It's a struggle against Russia and China for supremacy, and war is only a means to secure control of the oil and thus the continuation of our broken society. I am sure we disagree on the "conspiracy" aspect, but that's fine.

Yes, oil is running out, it's tougher to get to sometimes and yes, it costs more to make it into gasoline and everything costs more as a result. Plus, we add in taxation and all the fat guys in the middle, it's a no-win situation.

Anyway, here's a great documentary on the oil cartel, the "Seven Sisters" researched by Al Jazeera. It covers the history and recent cartel development.

Here's an example of another type of corporate cartel, more of a monopoly, really. It's a bit of an aside, but further proves my point that much of what transpires is beyond the comprehension of most people because they don't know how so many corporations could possibly exist under one umbrella. It's happening everywhere. It's all a corporation, the whole world...

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  15. Minuteman

This is a pretty fairly presented article. There are many industry "experts" who have always downplayed peak oil and there are always the naysayers. I have said before that I hope they are right. Who wants to see some of the more dire consequences envisioned by peak oil theorists? I think the last part is a nice summation.

Hubbert's Take
    If M. King Hubbert were alive today—he died in 1989—would he admit defeat? Probably not, says Mason Inman, who has written a biography of Mr. Hubbert that will be released next year. He argues that the recent shale boom is just a temporary respite in a long march downward. U.S. oil production could be about to hit a second peak, and then return to its terminal decline.

The production boom "makes things better for a while, but it doesn't change the long-term picture," Mr. Inman says.

If Mr. Hubbert were around, he might be dumbstruck by what he sees, Mr. Inman says. Mr. Hubbert, he says, advocated turning to solar power and energy efficiency to break the dependency on oil.

As for the power of innovation to reach new oil reserves, Mr. Hubbert believed that technology would help extend the limits of oil production, but thought its impact was exaggerated, Mr. Inman says. He felt people would invoke technology as a kind of panacea—which it isn't.

There will eventually be diminishing returns, Mr. Inman says, since oil is a finite resource, even though we don't really know its limits. "He would probably say, 'You guys are crazy to be drilling this so fast and using it up and pretending it's a solution,' " says Mr. Inman.

A couple of statements stood out to me;

"No mineral, including oil, will ever be exhausted. If and when the cost of finding and extraction goes above the price consumers are willing to pay, the industry will begin to disappear,"

"So at some point, the cost of getting more and more oil likely will get so high that buyers can't—or won't—pay."

"To the peak-oil adherents, this is just a respite, and decline is inevitable. But a growing tide of oil-industry experts argue that peak oil looks at the situation in the wrong way. The real constraints we face are technological and economic, they say. We're limited not by the amount of oil in the ground, but by how inventive we are about reaching new sources of fuel and how much we're willing to pay to get at it."

I think this last quote sums up the peak oil cornucopians attitude. "We will find more sources and better ways to extract it". This is a dangerous attitude in that it pins our hopes on a maybe/maybe not, wishful thinking future. I believe they are the ones who are looking at it the wrong way. Peak oil is not about running out of oil, it is about running out of cheap oil. And even this quote recognizes a critical factor, " how much we're willing to pay to get at it."

The current increase in production and the resulting drop in prices is a catch 22. The reason there is a glut is due to the high price of oil that spurred these new technologies and methods. As the prices decrease so does the profit margin for these highly expensive recovery methods. So we look at "Peak Price" now instead of "Peak Oil". At what price is it more expensive to produce than it can be sold for? At what price do consumers get priced out of the market?

http://online.wsj.com/articles/why-...t-come-true-1411937788?ru=yahoo?mod=yahoo_itp

Crude Oil Price Crashes, Gasoline at 4-Year Low - Yahoo Finance

16. Collapsenik

Collapsenik On Hiatus Banned

They aren't called "rosy" when they are factual. The Administrator of the Energy Information Administration has recently been quoted as saying that American oil production has been rising faster than at any time in the HISTORY of the country. That is REAL oil in the tank, he was not referring to his agencies estimates of that oil production going HIGHER yet.

It is human nature to see what one wants to see, like someone wanting to see doom, and pretending that actual oil production growing faster than ever before is a rosy something or another. Any critical look reveals two thing on this country, the previously mentioned fastest increasing production than any other time in the history of the country, and a NEW peak in natural gas production, more than 40+ years after the one Hubbert called..and was wrong about.

Econ 101, price is set by the marginal barrel, not the absolute supply numbers, and oil production has been a false hope since it began in 1859 when it began depleting a wonderful chemical feedstock, and people were so STUPID as to burn it.

That happened when the real price of oil bottomed in the early 70's, nearly everyone you know or on this forum has been doing pretty good in the world of expensive oil. Certainly the seminal work on the topic didn't even mention price, nor does the wiki when listing the definition of peak oil.

Peak oil, an event based on M. King Hubbert's theory, is the point in time when the maximum rate of extraction of petroleum is reached, after which the rate of production is expected to enter terminal decline

See? No mention of price. Price is an economic concept, and was brought up later when global peak oil production...the one in 1979, turns out to have not been that big of a deal, as it was supposed to have been (called by Jimmy Carter in 1977 during the Malaise speech).

Fracking has nothing to do with the lateral section of horizontal wells, horizontal wells aren't unconventional, geologic formations are, fracture pressures of underground formations are nothing to triplex pumps and don't require any more "energy" than is needed to even run the mud systems on the drilling rigs themselves. And those ion industry have been doing that for more than a century now.

I was doing multi stage frac jobs in shales in the late 80's when oil was $15/bbl and making money at it, and drilling horizontals in the early 90's when prices were about the same. And the fractionation of hydrocarbons has to do with the GEOLOGY of burial and generation and potential unroofing or natural biodegradtion, you calculation of "value" needs to include all of this, for example, condensates as liquid in a tank sell for the same price as oil. Butane is contained in the GAS stream, it disappears if you try and treat it like a real condensate.

Are you sure you don't mean "decline"? And what do you mean by "much faster"? I've produced century old shale wells personally as a production engineer with an old independent in the Appalachia Basin, so do you mean "at least for a century" when you say "in just a few years"?

Incorrect. Until you drill up some chunk of a resource play, you don't even know where the low hanging fruit might be.

So why doesn't your link support that point? It says net energy imports are lower than at any point in time in the past 29 years. Remember that "rosy" thing again? It isn't rosy, it is REAL, and your link supports that point. Thank you.

17. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

This thread may become interesting again. Minuteman is a company man that has been (and still is) in the patch for decades, and Collapsenik with some proclaimed experience, as yet unsubstantiated, tho' he might do so soon.

Then there looks to be a bit of a definition problem between "conventional" and "unconventional" wells. In some areas, the definition refers to straight forward, straight bores (even if inclined) and those that take horizontal turns as they do in the gas patch (and oil shales). Undoubtedly, there will be some differentiating discussion between decline and depletion, too, and there is a big difference in meaning.

Then, there's the wet gas vs. dry gas to be touched upon. (Wet, of course, dealing with gas INCLUDES recovery of all components that remain liquid at the gas pressure found in the strata. Typically, they yield more revenue than dry gas). Up thisaway, the volatile fractions are caught and sold ---

Then there are the few remaining wildcatters that can afford to lead the charge into the unknowns by drilling exploratory wells. Oh, wait!! The big boys are doing that.

18. Collapsenik

Cost to surface in the Bakken, using horizontal wells, 20-30 frac stages, all the modern technology to develop light/tight oil runs about $25-$30/bbl depending on the geology involved.

I have news….that is COST to surface..including royalty interest but not transportation to refinery or discounting because of location, and I don't think prices have dropped down to equal the cost quite yet. And this is alleged the EXPENSIVE and DIFFICULT and HARD TO EXTRACT and LOW EROEI oil that some folks don't understand, or like, but when it is used to make gasoline, they are right there in line like everyone else to buy it. Other stuff? Yeah..most of it is cheaper than that.

So it isn't time to sweat much in this regard yet.

I was IN the oil industry back in the 80's. No..it wasn't the same. Other than the peak oilers had been discredited…again…as the world began to produce more oil after the 1979 global peak, and we didn't run out like the experts said we would then either. But other than that, no, it wasn't much the same. Do you know how LONG it took me to drill a horizontal well back in the late 80's as compared to what they doing them in today? Those guys have gotten GOOD. And with GOOD comes SPEED. And with SPEED comes REDUCED COSTS when drilling.

It didn't happen that way, and I can tell you exactly how you can prove it to yourself. Go get yourself a subscription to either the DI or IHS database of domestic well production. I have both. The normal % of well downtime (offline, no production) in any given month in the United States usually runs between 2.5-5%. If there had been some surge of well shut-ins during the 80's, you could find it in that data reflecting it by moving upwards…10%? 20%?

It never happened. That percentage doesn't change at all. The reason why, to those of us with experience in and around the industry in 5 decades and 2 centuries now, is because operating costs (after the capital has been sunk) isn't that high…and even at $4/bbl there is usually enough cash flow to exceed OpEx. So you don't shut the wells in. If you DO shut the wells in, for any length of time, the state makes you plug them as a non-producing well.

So you've fallen for an old oil wives tale, in this regard.

The truth of the matter is that we have produced perhaps 1.2 trillion barrels from a resource base estimated to be about 10-14 trillion barrels in size. The IEA has estimated the amount of economic oil, economic meaning <$150/bbl, at about 9 trillion barrels. Peak oilers don't understand these basic issues, nor the economics of resource development, and are mostly interested in telling scenarios of fear on a topic they generally have no experience in, and certainly have proven they know nothing about.

19. Collapsenik

They have been since government officials began proclaiming the end of the age of oil…in 1886.

As someone interviewed by Mason prior to these comments, I can assure you that the time I've spent trying to educate this young man appear to have been wasted, but that is the way of bloggers and reporters nowadays. With a time investment of an hour, I cannot predict with any likelihood that they will then recognize the difference between resources and reserves, and Mason I gave more than an hour.

Except where he advocated nukes. Mason is referring to some of his later comments, as opposed to his original ideas.

There are no pessimists in the field of exploration geologists for a reason. When people a century ago claimed that "I will drink all the oil discovered west of the Mississippi!!" they were exhibiting the same attitude of "if I can't see it now it must not be true", and were just as wrong as those still doing this today.

The real price of oil hit a low in the early 70's and has been going up ever since. You GREW UP in a period of expensive oil, obviously those of us who filled up our cars at $0.30/gal are still waiting for that "cheap oil" to come back…and it hasn't…and that hasn't stopped folks from buying RVs or Corvettes. Why? Because it is worth it at current prices..and current prices have been "expensive" FOR DECADES. And the mythical behavior of OH NOES!! WEEZ GONNA DIE!!! because of it has failed to materialize.

Do you know what a cost of supply curve, and a demand curve are, and why they matter?

At $2/gal SOME people are priced out of the market. And I ASSURE you, others are most certainly NOT. Same with $10/gal. I am fortified against $20/gal….how prepared are you for THOSE kind of prices?

20. Collapsenik

I find it difficult to believe that Minuteman is a company man. Company men are intimate with the aspects of drilling, which means that one with experience spanning as many decades as me would know darn well that horizontals wells aren't themselves part of fracking. He would know, just as I do, that costs for drilling those horizontals has dropped in a HUGE way. He would understand the kind of economies of scale being generated by the pad drilling in the Appalachian Basin, as I do. He MIGHT know that wells aren't shut in when prices decline, company men manage drilling operations, not production. If he managed production or reservoir engineers, he would certainly would have access to at least one of the big information services to be able to disprove some of these old wives tales of oil production, just as I can.

Involved somehow in the industry…maybe…but not as a company man, or not as a company man with enough experience to have been there when MWD replaced single shots. And any company man who was working then would remember that transition.

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  1. AgentPickle
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Thunder5Ranch
  7. Coyote Ridge
  8. hitchcock4
  9. john316
  10. oil pan 4
  11. Asia-Off-Grid