1. The Topic of the Month for April 2017 is "Store what you use, use what you store." Please join the discussion on the Survival Topic of the Month forum.

Philips Wins DOE's $10 million prize

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by radpug, Aug 4, 2011.

1. radpug

radpug Monkey+

2. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Adventure Riding Monkey Founding Member

The newer CFL bulbs are actually not at all bad - proper light color and intensity - my non-calibrated eyes see little difference in the 15W CFL and the 60W Edison bulb. (At first, I had to use two of the harsh-whites and two dim-yellows to make a balanced light) The Edisons tend to pop in a few months at my casa. The CFLs last a couple years at least - NOT as long as advertised.
    I am awaiting the development of competitive LED bulbs though! If these Philips bulbs hit the market at a decent price and perform well, I'll give them a try.

3. radpug

radpug Monkey+

I have used the cfl for years but I don't get years out of them.
    Worse rooms for them to die off first is the bath room and the basement.

4. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Adventure Riding Monkey Founding Member

I read somewhere that the CFLs, by their design, are best for those places where they will be left on for long periods - livingroom for instance. It's the constant 'ON/OFF' cycling that kills them too soon. Bathrooms, washrooms, closets, etc - not the best locations!
    The LED bulbs should be better in that regard.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7