Please Help WIN10 Has All But Made My Computer Useless!!

Discussion in 'GNU/Linux' started by TXKajun, May 6, 2016.

1. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

Several months ago, WIN10 forced itself onto my mew computer, and there was no way ro stop the installation. Now my computer is damn near useless. It is so slow that it takes 10-20 minutes to wake up and another 15 minutes to load a web page. AUTOCORRECT is a total farce.

Can someone pleeeaaassssee give me detailed instructions as to how to install linux on my system?? I have would like to download the installation program into a thumbdrive and install from there. Every time I tried, it either doesn't download properly or won't install. TIA.

Kajun

Motomom34 and sec_monkey like this.
  2. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

You can roll back to your old opsys......

3. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Dont and stg58 like this.
  4. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

and there was no way ro stop the installation.
    yes there is & always was .
    Read & use google to understand .
    Im using XP still !! basic !

5. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

Heard about never 10 on the radio from Leo Laporte, he was on Tech TV and he is a good listen on weekends while driving.
    Shows how much of a spyware virus Billy G. forces down the unsuspecting throats or other orifices..That some created a program to block it[banghead]
    The Tech Guy | with Leo Laporte

He mentioned this one I don't know if it is free.
    As usual YMMV..

GRC | Never10

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Motomom34, kellory and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  6. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

There are on-line downloadable programs that will stop the Win 10 so-called "upgrade". STG58 has it pretty well covered.

Used to run a dual boot, Win 7 and Linux. Then I upgraded my mBoard and HDD. Now I run Mint 17.3 and occasionally DOS 6.22 in order to program some old radios that require native DOS to run the programming. Pretty much weaned off of Windows.

Win 7 wasn't all that bad. Tried Win 10, didn't like it, and you're always "steered" toward it. It really screwed my three way boot and made it so I couldn't boot up at all. Had to restore from backup.

Linux takes a little getting used to, but after a few months it's all good. Any more it's just a matter of finding everything. And it includes an office suite. You have to buy that (pricey) when you use Windows.

Do yourself a favor and move to Linux because one day Microsoft is going to stop supporting Win 7.
    Windows [finger]

Brokor, sec_monkey and stg58 like this.
  7. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

Download Ubuntu Desktop | Download | Ubuntu

Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

Download the latest version of Ubuntu, for desktop PCs and laptops. LTS stands for long-term support – which means five years of free security and maintenance updates, guaranteed.

Ubuntu 16.04 LTS release notes

Recommended system requirements:

• 2 GHz dual core processor or better
    • 2 GB system memory
    • 25 GB of free hard drive space
    • Either a DVD drive or a USB port for the installer media
    • Internet access is helpful

download link

http://releases.ubuntu.com/16.04/ubuntu-16.04-desktop-amd64.iso

be sure to verify the download and the recorded DVD

How to verify your Ubuntu download | Ubuntu

8. stg58

And backup any important files before you move from the darkside to the force..

Altoidfishfins and sec_monkey like this.
  9. stg58

10. sec_monkey

yep [ditto] @stg58

backup first

16.04 LTS is new. Some of the new features have big flaws** OPSEC

Due to that or if your PC does not meet the specs download the previous LTS release.

Last edited: May 7, 2016
    stg58 likes this.
  11. stg58

Still on 14.04 LTS, all is good.

sec_monkey likes this.
  12. sec_monkey

13. duane

duane Monkey+++

Problem is buying a new computer,most only come with windoze and if you load Linux, then all the laptop goodies that come with the system won't work. Still use Dos 6 on a couple of machine tools. Doesn't decide to upgrade your system etc 2 hours into a job and ruin your piece if you are lucky, or your tooling if you aren't.

14. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I have not up-graded to Windows 10 but I am having loading and slowing issues. I know the Up load Windows 10 advertisement slows everything while it pops up but my lap top has trouble re-starting or waking up. I have no clue what the issue is. I have to force a shut down and then I have to keep trying to get the start page to display. It takes a long time- I get a blank screen while it works. I think it is Windows doing something.

15. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

Thank you each and every one! I have to go out of town today and most of tomorrow, but will get this done when I get back.

How long does it take to download and install Ubuntu? I have used it many years ago on another mini-tower computer and really liked it.

Kajun

16. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Just a Thought... some of the colleges have old copies of earlier versions that they are trying to get rid of... might be able to find an earlier version on the cheap....

17. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

Should take no more than 2 hours, depending on your internet speed.

sec_monkey likes this.
  18. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

I had the same problem with the added trouble of one svchost.exe running my cpu and hogging my memory.
    To turn this off, go to start-msconfig-go to services-scroll down to Windows Updater and manually stop it. Laptop now runs smooth on W7. Have good anti-malware and a third party anti-virus installed and updated.

Motomom34 likes this.
  19. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Seems like I'm having far less troubles with W10 than most. Shaking it out initially was no great picnic (in fact it was beyond a PIA, and required reloading the OS by the M$ techs) and there are a couple minor tweaks I made that I need to untweak, but other than that, it's running as well as can be expected. (Note: ALL the web based stuff is either disabled or uninstalled; I don't do cloud computing, so there's no delay for connections other than outlook.) This is on a laptop bought with W10 aboard.

The somewhat elderly (but plenty fast enough) tower is going to get the free upgrade to W10 (from W7) within the next month or so. I have yet to determine that the "upgrade" will retain my Office 2010 or piss me off by losing it in the background. I bought Office 2016 for the laptop rather than renting 365, and have to admit I don't like 2016 as well as 2010.

The last aggravation with W10 is the games. The neat, clean, solitaire boards are now crapped on with horrible graphics and difficult fonts. Grrrr ---

Linux will come later, to be installed on the retired Vista bearing laptop. Slow? Think glacial.

20. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Where is the start button on Win 8.1?

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7