Polar Vortex 2019

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Motomom34, Jan 30, 2019.

Tags:
  1. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Living in the mountains we installed heat tape over the spies that was held in place by pipe insulation looked like swimming pool noodles
    Most go the time a timer operated the heat tape, but in practical terms it was best operated with a thermostat .
    I mounted a rough service bulb inside behind the washing machine on the back porch and next to the water pump as well, one also in the engine area of my truck and put a tarp over the truck when not in use so it was ready for me in the AM .

techsar and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Nails popping out of the siding.
    LCD on dash showing all available lights at the same time.
    Dog seeing evil squirrels on bird feed and only decides to take a leak and come right back in
    Missus hot flashes seem to have abated.
    Yep -19 is kind of cold.

3. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Watching the show Building off grid and they were showing a mountain top retreat.
    Thinking where is mountainmariner in this weather?

techsar and ghrit like this.
  4. D2wing

D2wing Monkey+

We had a winter like that in Northern Minnesota. We had hot water heat and in one closet, the hot water pipe froze. Luckily it did not crack. We removed the clothes and put a small heater in there to thaw it. The lesson was to let air get to it. My in laws water pipes froze 8 ft down as they were on a trip and no water was being used. A guy came with a welding trailer and ran a clamp to an inside pipe and the other one to the turnoff street valve stem. A couple tries and that thawed it. Lesson was to let a faucet drip.

Gator 45/70 and oldman11 like this.
  5. D2wing

D2wing Monkey+

Most of us are prepared here in Minnesota. I have seem much worse in Northern Minnesota. All campers are drained, lines blown out or antifreeze added. Keep stocked up with food and have backup heat sources in case power goes out. Keep vehicles full of gas in case you get stranded. Have warm clothes including hats and a scarf or face mask if you are outside for awhile. Modern cars are pretty good but a jumper pack and starting fluid is a good precaution. If a battery is low it can freeze and be ruined. Anything plastic or cheap metal can break. Be very careful driving in wind and snow storms. People get stranded and die. If they close the road and you're stranded on it, no help is coming. My wife was stranded once, she called but couldn't tell me where as she was in whiteout conditions. And I couldn't get far in my sedan. Fortunately a coworker was stuck in the same bank coming from home. They got is truck clear and he brought her home. Be careful.

Gator 45/70 and oldman11 like this.
  1. natshare
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Motomom34
  6. Gator 45/70
  7. Big Ron
  8. john316
  9. Big Ron
  10. Motomom34
  11. oldman11