Polish P-64

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by NVBeav, Jun 7, 2009.

1. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

I have a "new" P-64. It's kind of a Walther PPK clone, but I'll be the first to admit the Walther probably has some advantages. The P-64 beats it on price and, in my opinion, bullet caliber.

There were a few reasons for me to choose this particular pistol:
    • same caliber as my CZ-82
    • excellent size for concealed carry
    • price
    • quality of mfr
    The competition I looked at included the Bersa Thunder 380, Makarov-types, and Walther. The Bersa was slightly more expensive, but I don't have any 380 Auto ammo. Makarovs and Walthers are getting to be a little expensive.

The shortcomings of the P-64 include: magazine size (6 + 1), small iron sights, extreme pull for double-action.

Some positives include: beautifully machined and built, excellent conceal size, very accurate, and inexpensive.

I'll be taking it out in a couple days to see how it does. Then I need to "qualify" on it to add it on my CCW card.

Although I'd really like to carry my XDm, the truth is that it's just too big for me to conceal. Even the CZ-82 is difficult during hot weather. If I could open-carry, no problem; the XDm would never leave me. That leaves me testing the waters with the P-64 -- it has a very thin profile so I think it's going to work.

Here are a couple pictures:
    ez2_DSC_4479.JPG ez2_DSC_4489.JPG

2. The Expendable

The Expendable Bread and Circus Master

That's a neat gun! I carry a Makarov, so I'm partial to that style anyway. The P38's I've seen are similar in price to the Mak... do you mind if I ask what you paid for it?

The Makarov is my carry gun, but sometimes it's not that comfortable where I carry it (small of the back). It seems to be a little... "pointy". From what I can see in your pictures, the P38 looks like a better carry gun.

3. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

I got it at J&G Sales in AZ for $160 -- link ... Centerfire Systems also has it, but JG is closer to me; they're pretty much the same in price. Also purchased 2 extra mags (6 rounds isn't a whole lot :^). The Walther PPK and P38 are excellent firearms, but seem to be a little out of my price range.

This site has some great information about the p-64 and explains its characteristics. They have a great picture on the home page comparing a Mak and p64 next to each other -- that would explain the "pointiness", but it also points out the weakness of the p64 sights.

The p-64 might even be a good one for IWB carry, which I haven't attempted yet. Just wearing it around the house proves it's very good at not "shadowing" when carrying on my belt holster.

4. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Good write up and comparison.

5. The Expendable

Gee Beav (sorry... couldn't resist), that is a good write up. I was going to ask you about the recoil. I really do like the looks of it. Congratulations on your purchase.

6. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

Thanks for the comments, guys. (Gosh, golly, Wally :^)

Actually I was just getting bummed with all the political news, so I thought it would be nice to contribute a real "Firearms" article that was pertinent to what I was doing.

Some of the stuff I've been reading says that the P-64 gives a pretty big kick -- I'll find out tomorrow morning (hopefully). Since I've learned to hold my handguns "correctly", I don't feel the recoil like I used to.

7. The Expendable

WHY'D YOU HAVE TO GO AND MENTION POLITICS?!?!? Now you got my blood all angried up!

I know, it sometimes gets to be too much. Let's go shoot up some stuff! :)

8. kansasrebel

kansasrebel Monkey++

I've had a P64 for quite awhile, fun to shoot armadillos with.

9. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

I took my P-64 out for a test shoot this past Monday and am pleased to say it's a keeper. It's accurate and I didn't have any problems with feeding or anything after putting about 100 rounds through it.

It kicks more than my CZ-82, but that was expected. Also, I was warned about the double-action trigger pull -- it's true -- it definitely works as a "safety" to keep from accidently firing. Carrying one in the chamber wouldn't disturb me too much.

From about 21 ft I could keep a consistent group of about 5 inches, so I'm satisfied with it's accuracy.

What I really need to do now is get it put on my CCW permit so I can start carrying it.

It compares with the CZ-82 pretty favorably: accurate, well-made, good fit. The 82 is a little easier on the shooting hand. The 64 will hide a lot easier on the belt.

10. WestPointMAG

WestPointMAG Monkey++

How can you live like this. Move to the U.S. where we are free.

11. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

[dunno]

Used to be we were free to do what's right -- now it's the opposite.
    Woe to those who call evil good
    and good evil,
    who put darkness for light
    and light for darkness,
    who put bitter for sweet
    and sweet for bitter!
    Isaiah 5:20

12. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

13. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

That's pretty nice! I like how your new grips extend a little further down over the magazine, which helps cover one of the few "pointy" parts.

I've been carrying mine for about a year now; it conceals pretty well and I hardly ever worry about shadowing. It's a great little firearm -- I'll be selling my CZ-82s since the P-64 does everything I need for CC (and I could buy other "stuff").

14. fortunateson

fortunateson I hate Illinois Nazis!

How do you guys feel about the slide mounted safety?
    There's a common problem that happens with these.
    I had this problem with my Mak and I hear Walthers have the same problem.

Here's what happens:

You're chugging along... bang, bang, bang - then *click*
    So you take a second strike on the same round and... bang!

Apparently the safety comes out of battery due to slide movement.
    When it does, the hammer block engages - thus the "click"
    When you fire on the hammer block it actually moves the safety BACK TO FIRE!
    So the next strike fires the round.

I'm sure there's a name for this.
    It's common and It is really known for being hard to debug.
    Drove me crazy with my mak.

Anyone experience this w/ P64?

15. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Is the P64 double action on the first shot only then single action trigger pull each shot after? or, double action all the time?

16. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Wow thatIS really nice!!!

http://www.p64resource.com/
    how does it stack up to the .380????

got it:
    (9x18mm: Rare in the US until the mass importation of the Makarov pistol, the round is now common among shooters. Its ballistic payload is similar to a top end, maximum effort .380 ACP. One load approaches that of the 9x19mm, but only when the latter is being fired from a short (3") barrel. LVE Brown Bear 115-gr. JHP usually hits between about 1020 ft/sec and 1050 ft/sec depending upon the particular Makarov it's being fired from. Federal 115-gr. JHP from a short 9mm is usually less than 100 ft/sec faster as that load is not optimized for shorter barrels. There are many other loads in which the 9mm uniformly walks away from the Mak's capabilities.)

sounds very effective...
    :)

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Comparisonof9x18mmMakarovetc.htm

17. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

That looks really similar to a CZ50. I have a CZ50 that cost me $0. I don't really know what to do with it. Not really my cup of tea.

18. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

Fortunate - I've never seen that happen on either my P-64 or CZ-82 (safety coming out ?). It's a fairly stiff safety on either, so I can't see it dropping down (if that's the problem you're describing).

Tacmotusn - The first shot could be Double-Action, but it's about 25- to 30-lbs (unless you change the sping). Very difficult pull. I alway cock the hammer when drawing to get Single-Action. Single-Action has a very light trigger -- don't breath wrong when firing SA.

19. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Actually my mak fits in almost any pocket I want to stick it in. I never put the safety on (as you say the double action trigger pull is rather heavy, and it is a long pull). I consider it no more unsafe than a snub nosed revolver. I prefer single action trigger pull on the second and after shots with the cocking by the cycling action. With my mak I have had doubles due to the light trigger pull. I do like the looks of the P64 though.....

20. fortunateson

fortunateson I hate Illinois Nazis!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7