Poor Man's Barter Items

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Ganado, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Damn, I don't even have a shopping cart, But I've seen a few nice ones id like to jack!

2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I'm done here.

john316 likes this.
  3. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

Careful dude...if your neighbors see it they might call in on you to the 1-800-FED-RATS $20/conviction Crimestoppers hotline...in some states that's a pack of smokes and a 12 pack...

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  4. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2015
  5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

These kids are going down!

Mindgrinder and Ganado like this.
  6. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@kellory.... Save this in case u need it

uploadfromtaptalk1428290101959.

john316 and Mindgrinder like this.
  7. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Just circle around back at any supermarket. They should have some broken carts. =)

john316, Mindgrinder and Ganado like this.
  8. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Great thread @Ganado !!
    I would also suggest specialty tools for bartering. Some folks may be trained in various skills but missing the tools to barter their services. A couple of examples in addition to all the other great post above:

A barber needs scissors/combs/ trimmers/small mirror.
    A mechanic may be missing that one specific wrench or a pack of fuses.... and so on.
    Files to sharpen the carpenters axe or the woodworkers chisels.
    Ingredients, copper tubing and so on for the beer/wine maker to ply their craft.

The reality is many of these items, we already have in our prep's, but do you have spares to capitalize on a great trade for something you need or a related service later down the road. With the spring yard sales starting soon in a town near you, there should be an abundance of opportunity to score many great items at a deep discount. :)

9. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Dang @Yard Dart your post was certainly from the guy perspective love love love. I never thought of any of those ty
    [emoji123] [emoji122] [emoji123]

Mindgrinder and Yard Dart like this.
  10. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

Sealing lids for mason jars. Not the rings, just the lids. You'd be amazed how many of those you blow through just canning tomatoes. I think I have this humongous stockpile, and then I get to canning pizza sauce, spaghetti sauce, tomato sauce, oh hey chicken is on sale can up chicken, can dog food, next thing I know I've used up 10 boxes of lids. And pintos? Holy crap! Because if you store pintos dry, they turn to petrified rocks after a couple of years and no amount of cooking ever gets them totally soft again, so I decided to can an entire 50 pound bag of pintos. Well there went all my lids. And jars. I really need to get Tattlers, but those would be all for me.

3880084850a8667801375l.

john316, Brokor, Mindgrinder and 5 others like this.
  11. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

when you do something like 50lbs of a single bulk food item you should look into a couple of 5 gallon buckets and the mylar bagging/02 absorbers ....

Ganado and Mindgrinder like this.
  12. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Ditto DW. EVERY TIME I got to the local grocery store I toss a couple of boxes of lids into the cart. They have a very good selection of canning supplies and are right in line price wise with much larger stores. I've had a couple of the checkout ladies say something like, "Ya'll must do a lot of canning" or "Stocking up for canning season hon?" I just say I ran out last year right in the middle of canning a batch of maters and it was a pain..

I've found that by adding stuff every time, you just kinda get used to it. Next thing ya know, you have a bunch of lids, or whatever.

13. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

I've mentioned this before in other threads, but for those of us that travel even occasionally raid the hotel room.
    That's the first thing we do when we get to the room. Load up the soaps,coffee,tea,creamer/sugar TP. Anything and everything that is put in the room for you to use. If the room doesn't have daily maid service, ask for it. They will restock and you can grab those. We bring our own soap/shampoo,ect. All those little items add up fast if you have to travel much. We have several large totes of everything from soap/shampoo to razors,combs,coffee/tea,TP even dish soap. PSHTF, after our main stores are used up we can fall back to these or more likely, they are barter items.All except the TP, after all pampering my arse comes first;)

14. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I had to stop doing this... I have 2 boxes of this stuff :)

and its an excellent idea to keep repeating

Mindgrinder likes this.
  15. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@ditch witch I have never used tattler rings.... I would be so interested in how well they work and how difficult to reuse and reseal....

I've just used mason lids and then thrown away or reused for things that it doesn't matter if they seal like fermented veggies.

Can you share how they work for you?

Mindgrinder and Tully Mars like this.
  16. vonslob

vonslob Monkey++

I use to smoke and would purchase two bic lighters instead of one, over the years they add up and take very little space. Stay away from the cheap lighters, they almost always have an issue. Never had an issue with bics. I keep a lot of plumbing parts from jobs I do.

17. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Kellorys right! They do exist!

Mindgrinder likes this.
  18. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

Pintos, unlike most dry beans, turn to rocks after a couple of years. I learned that the hard way about a decade ago with mylar sealed pintos in 5 gallon buckets. Even the pressure cooker couldn't get them smooth. That's why I canned these.

@Ganado I haven't used the Tattler but have heard only good things about them. Pricey but being able to reuse them would be well worth it.

Mindgrinder, Tully Mars and Ganado like this.
  19. Mindgrinder

There is a reason you don't find the tattler lids with the old jars at the sally ann.
    Then again...you can barely find pressure cookers or cast iron pans at thrift stores around here anymore...

Tully Mars and Ganado like this.
  20. Mindgrinder

WARNING - Harsh Language

Brokor, ditch witch and Ganado like this.
  1. JC Refuge
  2. JC Refuge
  3. JC Refuge
  4. JC Refuge
  5. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Dunerunner
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Dunerunner
  10. Dunerunner
  11. RJFab
  12. Thunder5Ranch
  13. duane
  14. TnAndy
  15. john316
  16. Coyote Ridge
  17. DKR
  18. hitchcock4