Poor Man's Barter Items

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Ganado, Apr 5, 2015.

1. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

The sounds like the difference between theory and practice. I spend about a minute per cylinder, with no significant loss of time. Is this a case of diminishing returns, for me.

Mindgrinder likes this.
  2. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I wonder if these would be useful. Rubber rings.
    WeckJars.com
    also wondering if it's possible to make rubber rings

Mindgrinder likes this.
  3. fleabaggs

fleabaggs Monkey

OH PLEASE, will you stop already. The lights are out, people are dying from small cuts getting infected and you want to moralize about a shopping cart garden.

Mindgrinder likes this.
  4. kellory

Lights are not out. People are not dying from a lack of stolen shopping carts, nor infections. Your premise is a complete falsehood, and your tone insulting.
    If you will act without morals NOW, then you are no one I would trust with anything more dangerous than a pair of safety scissors, when it truly matters.
    NOW, you need to follow your moral code, the laws of your location, and your conscience, or you stand with anarchy. Grow up, or someone will use you for fertilizer, when they catch you "repurposing" their stuff.

Mindgrinder, john316 and Pax Mentis like this.
  5. fleabaggs

fleabaggs Monkey

someone mentioned lighters. bic mini's, scripto, crickett if you have the spare change, otherwise just cheap dollar store lighters. they will be worth a fortune a month into anything bad. wax and candles or pieces of old candles to make small hobo candles for trade.
    distressed people flock to the nearest fire for comfort. even a small hobo candle to huddle around will cheer up a dozen people.

You're not serious?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2015
    Mindgrinder and Ganado like this.
  6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

He is. You are treading on thin ice with an attitude like that. EZ does it.

7. fleabaggs

fleabaggs Monkey

i see i've stumbled into another cult. adios.

Mindgrinder likes this.
  8. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I've been thrift store shopping and buying stuff at 1960's prices. Gloves by the bundle, saws, garden tools and hammers cheap. Odd boxes of screws, nails, hooks, staples, steel wire and rolls of solder, tape measures. Anything I can't make, I put away.

Nitrile gloves aren't cheap, but are nice to have for wet work. I've also been stocking up on citronella oil and bug spray now that the bugs are biting. Since I can never seem to have enough lighters, I have been stocking up on cheap lighters and fuel/wicks/flints for my Zippo. It'll be a long time before I have to make more char cloth to use with my flint & steel. This time of year I can also usually score some high quality military surplus cold weather gear for cheap or free.

There may be some value in empty containers. Dual purpose cans like old Foster's Lager cans could be used to measure as well as carry and cook food in. (beats trying to barter pockets full of popcorn or something) I made five Fosters/cat food tin/beer can alcohol stove Billy Can Kits last summer and sold them to tourists for $100.

.22 ammo? Small size with high potential value.

HD

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
    Mindgrinder, Ganado and Tully Mars like this.
  9. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

No, not a "cult" at all, HOWEVER we do enforce the COCs (Terms of Service) of this site... Religiously This is a Family Friendly Site with plenty of Good Folks, from many differing Walks of Life..... have a look around for a while and you will get a different Feel, as you get to know us...

10. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

We need pics of those stoves.! Please?

Not sure I understand the value of the gloves for wet work..... assassination?

I but the cheap dishwashing gloves at the dollar store. I can sterilize and resale use if I have too

Mindgrinder likes this.
  11. kellory

Naprile gloves are like surgical gloves. Throw away those dishwashing gloves, and buy a box of Napriles, they are like night and day. I use them at work, and when hunting for butcheing the game. They give you much better control of whatever tool you are using, they are puncture resistant, and keep the work and your hands clean. Blue are good, but the black are even better. Do not buy them too tight.

Mindgrinder, john316 and Tully Mars like this.
  12. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I think he is talking about Hobo stoves.

Mindgrinder likes this.
  13. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

and they will survive a trip through the washer/dryer. I keep telling the nurse to check her pockets BEFORE putting her scrubs into the hamper-I now think she does it to get back at me because she still has to work everyday...:rolleyes:

14. fleabaggs

fleabaggs Monkey

thats funny. i don't care who you are, thats funny.

Mindgrinder likes this.
  15. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I have found that Bic lighters really don't store well compared to a good old Zippo w/flints and fuel.
    Bic's can be fire up a number of fuels IF your careful !

Mindgrinder, RightHand and Ganado like this.
  16. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

Oh darn...you will be missed.

No, really. :)

Mindgrinder, BTPost and CATO like this.
  17. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

Disregard Kellory when it comes to many things that require common sense, natural law or free thought.
    Trying to wake him up is like clapping with 1 hand.

Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  18. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2015
    Mindgrinder, kellory and Ganado like this.
  19. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Was invited to look through a friend's junk pile.. Oh the mental pictures of what could be done with the scrap hydrolic cylinders, cable, four inch box steel beams and junk diesel engines.. Oh my, I still feel flushed!! And he has four others scattered around this area..
    Taking the trailor over there and picking up the short piece of thirty six inch diam. steel pipe left from when they put in the gas line.. Steel targets....

20. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Man shopping at its best ;) @Dont

Mindgrinder and Dont like this.
  1. JC Refuge
  2. JC Refuge
  3. JC Refuge
  4. JC Refuge
  5. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Dunerunner
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Dunerunner
  10. Dunerunner
  11. RJFab
  12. Thunder5Ranch
  13. duane
  14. TnAndy
  15. john316
  16. Coyote Ridge
  17. DKR
  18. hitchcock4