Poor Man's Barter Items

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Ganado, Apr 5, 2015.

1. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

tull
    Im sure the nurse keeps telling you to make the soap stone out of your pocket... i got a coffe can full of it on the shelf about the washer ... and everytime the wife ask me .. what is this crap ??? stop bringing it home

Mindgrinder and Tully Mars like this.
  2. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

36" steal pipe ..
    You will have blood in your stool tommorow if not a leaking o ring

Mindgrinder likes this.
  3. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

agreed and you really cant beat a zippo for ten $ all day long at walmart ... next time your inline just look next to the lint brushes and bubble gum

Mindgrinder likes this.
  4. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

C
    Correct, I meant Zippo a drop on the wick of gasoline,charcoal fluid,#1 diesel a Zippo can fire up

Mindgrinder and oldawg like this.
  5. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Nice to have heavy lifter's at ones disposal when needed.. That is one heavy chunk of steel.

Mindgrinder likes this.
  6. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

That's what I've got a harbor freight crane in my truck and tractor.

Mindgrinder likes this.
  7. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

shine

Mindgrinder, Gator 45/70 and Ganado like this.
  8. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Another good barter item is going to be any kind of container that can safely hold water.
    And if you can fix one, your a bit further ahead.
    Third world countries use any kind of containers they can find all the time for hauling water.

Mindgrinder and Ganado like this.
  9. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Another important barter item is one's skills and abilities .
    Knowing how to do things is one thing ,being able to do them is another .
    Age and injury can prevent one for performing, though they may well know how something is done.
    Important to stay in shape.

Mindgrinder and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  10. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    Gator 45/70 and Ganado like this.
  11. kemps

kemps Monkey

This is exactly what I am doing. Like hell can I afford a Berkey. Plus in making this I can make two of them plus some mini ones for just in case. I probably spent about 20 bucks on supplies. Not too bad. You can also use T.shirt material which you can easily get for cheap or even free. Also a great way to get barter items is freebies. You can get samples of shampoo, body wash, feminine products, sweeteners etc and I can't think of a better cost than free!

Mindgrinder likes this.
  12. Rocky Road Lerp

Rocky Road Lerp Monkey+++

Been thinking about this list all week. Always used to say .22 cal would be the currency when shtf. But cheap barter items that don't take up a lot of space, I never really considered. That said, I would think rubber cement, cheap mittens or gloves, socks, bicycle tubes, superglue, and tire tread. People will need something when their boots wear out. Super glue speaks for itself, plus it closes wounds. I was also thinking about fish antibiotics. I know that subject goes both ways, but I've personally used them, and nobody wants to die because they cut their finger. Guess it really comes down to region and cause of shtf as to what would be good to barter with. Not all items are created equal. Tire plugs come to mind as well.

Mindgrinder, Gator 45/70 and Ganado like this.
  13. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Growing food, and canning, is the best poor mans prep and barter tool.

Ganado likes this.
  14. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I keep thinking about super glue as well. My problem is I can never get the stuf to work when I want it too. It does stickmy fingers together very well =) maybe i am buying the wrong kind.

The early super glue was great but the stuff today... no bueno... for me.

15. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I pdf my list so you can download it. It doesn't have everything listed here but its a start

Attached Files:

16. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  17. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Do a little research into how "SuperGlue" works, and you will have a much better idea, on how to prep the surfaces, for better adhesion... it took Eastman/Kodak 910 Tries to get the formula correct, so it isn't as straight forward as it would seem....

18. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Huh? So search 'how superglue works?'

19. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Try it, you might hit it on the first try.

20. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

No need to be sarcastic, I was just asking for clarification, I did not mean to offend you.

1. JC Refuge
  2. JC Refuge
  3. JC Refuge
  4. JC Refuge
  5. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Dunerunner
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Dunerunner
  10. Dunerunner
  11. RJFab
  12. Thunder5Ranch
  13. duane
  14. TnAndy
  15. john316
  16. Coyote Ridge
  17. DKR
  18. hitchcock4