Poor Man's Barter Items

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Ganado, Apr 5, 2015.

1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

@Ganado - You certainly didn't offend, nor was I intending sarcasm. It's worth a try, is all. Then, if it doesn't work, more data would be useful. Or so it seems to me.

In fact, plugging that into search terms on Google kicks out a few pages on the subject. Try this one -
    How does super glue work?
    Now back to your regularly scheduled poor man's barter items.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    Gator 45/70 and Ganado like this.
  2. Zen Savage

Zen Savage Knowledge and experience weigh less...

Rum!!!...booze in general

Ganado likes this.
  3. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

updated list you can download

Attached Files:

Yard Dart likes this.
  4. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I think hand sanitizer and wet wipes might be a good addition

Yard Dart and Zimmy like this.
  5. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

No tissue would be better,something they could cry in.

6. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

I think the hand sanitizer would be good as it has a couple of uses. The wet wipes are a good idea, but they do dry out after awhile even if not opened. Have found this out from personal experience.

Ganado and Yard Dart like this.
  7. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I say the original list is best.
    A lot of people would agree trading firearms and ammo is stupid.

All that accomplishes is turns desperate unprepared people into armed desperate unprepared people.

Ganado, oldawg and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Cloth baby diapers come to mind. I believe they might fill a feminine role as well.

Ganado, chelloveck and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

We used cloth diapers... 30 years ago. Are they even still available? Not that I miss them as diapers, but they make the best workshop table pads ever for rebuilding firearms and carburetors.

Cruisin Sloth, Ganado, Zimmy and 3 others like this.
  10. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Ganado and Zimmy like this.
  11. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

I read an account of a family that bartered some ammo, they wound up burying some family members because the bullets were returned to them. Never trade your ammo to anyone you cannot literally trust with your life!

12. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Any thing your willing to trade with might indicate you have a surplus .This could inspire more problems than it solves.
    And like Ebay or any other trade site ,ones reputation needs to be KNOWN , because swindlers will be more common than the hungry .
    Skills on the other hand that you perform privately, maintain exclusivity and your value among those that need your services. If you give away the skill you diminish it's trade value.
    If you can make fire, while no one around has that skill,, it is worth something , a meal a place to sleep .but if you teach some one in the group how to do your job, you are no longer needed . So take full advantage of this opportunity and learn ,practice .
    One gentleman Fifel I think it was, refilled lighters to trade for things he needed.
    Several folk have taken up black smithing, which is fine ,but how many have taken up cobbling (shoemaking) Equally challenging work requiring tools and training and a shop , or weaving cloth , looms are all over the place I have 2 . and sewing both by hand and using machines . repairing clothes and making new clothes will likely be a viable market .
    or making pottery , Indians made pottery without a wheel and baked them in ovens, it's not rocket science .
    During current times I lived in the mountains and it was a resort community.
    The economy was tight that as the season change so did the demands for work , so that if you only had one skill ,chances are you didn't make it through the year. unless you were a doctor ,lawyer, or a cop.
    Think about things that you want working post SHTF you would trade for and what they might be worth then.

Gray Wolf and Gator 45/70 like this.
  13. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

Toilet paper,he who owns he toilet paper will be king or a mighty rich man.

3cyl and Gator 45/70 like this.
  14. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I think I need to add cornstarch to the list.
    1) it's cheap
    2) it has lots of uses
    thickening agent in cooking
    Deodorant
    oil & blood stain remover for clothes
    a paste of it can help with skin irritations and bug bites
    foot powder
    sweaty private parts
    detangle knots in string and cord as well as hair
    DYI dry shampoo
    starch for clothing
    to keep blisters from rubbing

I loved this recreation of common uses
    Cornstarch Uses – 37 Unique Uses | Fluster Buster

Cornstarch the wonder powder, not fashionable but really great and cheap for your preps

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    arleigh, Gray Wolf and Gator 45/70 like this.
  15. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

keep an eye out for bundles of terry cloth towels at garage sales - towels still usable are cheap enough - they get torn & tattered the bundle is a $1 ....

Ganado and Gator 45/70 like this.
  16. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

All kinds of soaps .
    You kids probably never heard of a wash board , but that's what they used to wash clothes with .

Ganado and Gator 45/70 like this.
  17. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Man,I hated that diaper pale!!!!!!!!!!!

Ganado and oldawg like this.
  18. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

True , to ALL !!!!!!!!!!!!! ALL

Try Tartar of Cream , way better for your body..

Now as in Bodys !! Im thinking @runswithdogs husband is HUGE from all the food !!
    I have M6 looking for drone pix !!
    CCP sloth

I am totally joking dog runner ..
    Just so much RICH food , Thats all.
    S

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  19. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Sox and clothing and sewing skills .
    A lot of clothing can be repurposed int other things people need , the better you are at sewing the more valued you are both in a group and barter for the things .
    another thing is weaving . and spinning thread and yarn .
    Even staining clothing can be a valuable asset if you know what your doing , Knowing where to find elements for making color and bonding that color to cloth to other things for that matter. Paint can be valuable asset .

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  20. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Tully Mars likes this.
  1. AgentPickle
  2. JC Refuge
  3. JC Refuge
  4. JC Refuge
  5. JC Refuge
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Dunerunner
  10. Dunerunner
  11. Dunerunner
  12. RJFab
  13. Thunder5Ranch
  14. duane
  15. TnAndy
  16. john316
  17. Coyote Ridge
  18. DKR
  19. hitchcock4