Poor mans EMP protection....

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Witch Doctor 01, Aug 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

I still have a sextant... and can do celestial navigation but I will admit that I need some new sight reduction tables....

2. Matteo10572

Matteo10572 Monkey+

3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

They do NOT state the Specs of the Metalic Layer, anywhere, so I would NOT Trust it for that use, without seeing a Text Box with a good wideband Spectral Documentation being done.... It had better be good for at least 120db isolation, up thru 50 Ghz...

techsar and Witch Doctor 01 like this.
  4. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Small scale testing.
    Don't just build something and assume it will work. Build a few little ones, see what works.

5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Yes, I have enjoyed your Ballistic Concrete thread... It shows what testing an Idea is all about.....

6. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I was watching a history channel show about the soviet union during the cold war. Turns out the red army insisted on steel lined concrete bunkers deep under ground to help block EMP.
    The soviets did a lot of nuclear testing, they weren't just testing the weapons them selves they were also testing countermeasures too.

Homer Simpson likes this.
  7. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Found something to add to the mix ,,
    tin boxes cookies come in .+ bubble plastic and then the electronics. but the box in the faraday cage insulated from the cage wall ..

8. Navyair

Navyair Monkey++

Easiest Faraday cage is a galvanized trash can. Locally they come in 20 gal and 33 gal sizes, though I suspect you could find other sizes. They are fairly cheap. I think I got a 33 gallon one two weeks ago for less than $20. Some folks advocate lining the edges with tin foil, I'm satisfied that my lid seals well and will conduct electricity all the way around with no gaps.

What you put into your cage depends upon your situation. I saw where one guy posted he was going to put his chainsaw in it. If it isn't computer controlled, or have some sort of chip in it, it should be fine stored where it is. I personally put in some power inverters, a solar battery charger, some 12v lights, a world wide freq radio, some walkie-talkies, and my emergency solar panel charge controller. The panels themselves should be fine.

I had enough room in the can left over to store my bug out bag (sans weapons). I didn't really need to put it there, but it was handy to store it, and I was tired of moving my ALICE pack around when I needed to get at stuff. Now the can sits sealed under a shelf by much of my other survival gear.

Now I'm not trying to have a TEOTWAWKI set up. Just need some stuff to help out should an EMP event happen and take down the power grid. I can repurpose car batteries as power sources and charge them with my solar panels. However, unless it is a huge solar event, or a nearby nuke hit, I suspect that my vehicles will still work...just the power grid might not.

I will probably continue to refine the set up.

I do have other gear that doesn't need to be stored in a cage that will come into play for an EMP event...115 hr liquid candles, propane stove and propane, catalytic heaters and such. Shouldn't really need the stove, as I have a huge natural gas grill, but there is some debate as to how long the NG grid would function in an EMP event, given the need for pumps, and electrically controlled valves. Haven't looked at a propane set up, but a set of burners and different connector would put me in business there.

BTPost and Dunerunner like this.
  9. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Oh for gods sake solar events are not going to disable vehicles.

Unless you have an electric vehicle and it's plugged in when the solar event hits and if the batteries are 100% percent charged.
    The vehicles GPS isn't going to work because the GPS satellite system will be down.
    And the radio won't work until the event passes.
    But the rest of the vehicle will be fine.

A close by lighting strike that statics out the radio for a few seconds will hit your car with far more EMP than a solar storm ever will.

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  10. Navyair

Navyair Monkey++

OK, thanks for the snark.

Imprecise language on my part including CME in the same sentence as Nukes without clarification, and you are correct. However, when the power grid goes out, the ability to pump gasoline goes out. So your vehicle works as long as you have fuel for it. How is that? Meet with your approval?

I have over 5,000 computers in my Jeep and some might be affected, but I concur with your comment.

BTW, since you are so interested in precision, gods is normally capitalized (unless you are an atheist and refuse to do so or talking about a generic god ) as it is a proper noun, and add the apostrophe for possessive as in God's or god's...or if multiple gods'.

Have a good Labor day...or Labor Day. Or labor day if you...oh, never mind.;)

BTPost likes this.
  11. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Welcome to The Monkey, you're probably going to fit in just fine. :ROFLMAO:(y)

Navyair likes this.
  12. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

My bad I didn't waste years studying the finest points of the English language.
    I was wasting my time leaning actual marketable and in demand skills.
    I just didn't see focused study on the use of proper use and application of punctuation getting me to where I wanted to be in life.

13. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Ok guys, please do both yourselves a favor and give it a rest or take it to PM before one or both of you cross the line. Please?

You both poked, you both hit a nerve. Much further and neither of you wins.

BTPost likes this.
  14. Navyair

Navyair Monkey++

Daaaaad, He started it! OK, you got it. Anybody who self-ID's as a rotorhead can't be all bad. Keep smilin' and have a great weekend.

BTPost likes this.
  15. Imasham

Imasham Monkey

16. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Is it a laboratory science experiment or a deployable weapon?
    The United States first hydrogen bomb test in 1952 required a refrigeration unit about the size of a house.

17. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Relax... It's labor day weekend... it time he trots out something to make headlines.... it's probably a full scale nuke (non hydrogen bomb type) it just worked this time...

18. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Trump is NOT Teddy Roosevelt. Then again, we've progressed past man portable/draggable artillery, population is WAY higher and collateral damage would be much greater.

19. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

To cause a 5+ earthquake he either set off a fusion boosted warhead or made the most powerful standalone fission bomb of all time, which is actually a fairly notable achievement.

The US could nuke them and we could just be like "wow they just did a surface test, we're angry grrrr", then when Kim accuses US of dropping one on him we can be like "one of their experimental weapons just blew up in their face LOL".

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

20. Imasham

Imasham Monkey

I find it interesting (not quite the word I want...unusual/strange/ostrich like) that so many people constantly appear to underestimate this regime. There are so many comments in this and other posts that attempt to minimize the technological accomplishments being achieved. After this he doesn't need to have multiple launch vehicles and multiple warheads aimed at multiple cities. Now all he needs is to have a few aimed a couple of hundred miles above the western hemisphere. I don't personally believe he will but that doesn't mean I don't take the threat seriously.

1. DKR
  2. Waydah
  3. UncleMorgan
  4. The_Prepared
  5. Ganado
  6. Benjamin A. Wood
  7. hot diggity
  8. apache235
  9. scpn
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. Lancer
  13. Lancer
    Resource

EMP theory 2018-04-11

Stumbled across this while looking for old schematics.
    Posted By: Lancer, Apr 11, 2018 in category: Communications
  14. Seacowboys
  15. 3M-TA3
  16. arleigh
  17. Bishop
  18. DKR
  19. chelloveck
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7