Poor mans EMP protection....

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Witch Doctor 01, Aug 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Prepper12

Prepper12 Monkey+

I have an idea that uses things people normally throw away or recycle. A pair of soup cans! One would be right side up, and the other one would be upside down on top of it. Something small would be placed inside wrapped in a cloth to insulate it from the can. It could be something like an LED flashlight, which could be damaged by an EMP. After the 2 cans are joined together, they could be taped together or even held together by a few magnets. Now you have a fully enclosed metal container that should shield the contents from an EMP.

Ganado and arleigh like this.
  2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

The seem would need to be Soldered, or Brazed together, all the way around, to be effective....

Ganado likes this.
  3. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

We use cat food that comes in mylar lined bags. Looks like the mylar bags you use for food storage.

I took my wifes phone and placed it inside one small bag closed the ziplock bag type of seal then folded it up.

Called it with my phone and it rang.

Put that bag inside of another larger bag and folded it up and no signal got through and the phone did not ring.

Have not tested other than that but it may work.

4. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

That was my thought, but would aluminum tape all the way around the seam be sufficient do you think?

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Possibly conductive tape, if there is such a thing.

Maybe. Likewise SS tape. That said the adhesive might well interfere with the electrical continuity that is needed.

6. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

From my little experience,
    I suspect that a magnetic wave will travel more like light, rather than a gas or fluid . Consequently my stuff is not air tight ,doesn't need to be IMO . When a magnetic force is present/driven ,it is attracted to metals that will absorb it and become an electrical charge ,so the fields do not bounce off metal like a radio wave does .
    Any one that plays in armature radio doing T hunts knows this.
    Radio wave is similar RF but not magnetic in the same way an EMP operates .
    RF like the way you micro wave/cell phone operates uses a crystal to bounce with in it creating a specific frequency and focus it with sound, a separate unit with a similar crystal and electronics to receive the exact same frequency . this frequency can be so intense that any water molecules in close proximity will vibrate and heat up and eventually cook .
    A magnetic field has no attraction to water except if there is metal in it . Metal absorbs a magnetic field and turns it into electricity .
    The movement if electricity through metal continues/creates a magnetic charge seeking a way to ground/earth .
    If there is no ground there is no amperage/flow and the charge becomes capacitive like a battery and can linger for quite a while depending on it's size . So it's a gamble as to whether to ground a unit or not .
    Ungrounded , it becomes a dormant battery, grounded it has a flow a secondary magnetic charge is generated .
    I use amp meters all the time working on electric motors ,and these meters read the magnetic field generated by the flow of electricity, not RF .

1. DKR
  2. Waydah
  3. UncleMorgan
  4. The_Prepared
  5. Ganado
  6. Benjamin A. Wood
  7. hot diggity
  8. apache235
  9. scpn
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. Lancer
  13. Lancer
    Resource

EMP theory 2018-04-11

Stumbled across this while looking for old schematics.
    Posted By: Lancer, Apr 11, 2018 in category: Communications
  14. Seacowboys
  15. 3M-TA3
  16. arleigh
  17. Bishop
  18. DKR
  19. chelloveck
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7