Portable Induction Cooktop Experience, Anyone?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by TXKajun, Dec 25, 2013.

1. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

A little while back, I ran across an article about induction cooktops....portable ones in particular. I've been researching and checking them out and wondered if anyone here has any r/l experience with one?

TIA!

Kajun

2. pejames42

pejames42 Monkey

I have one I got through Saladmaster. I love it and it works great with pans designed for it. I can boil water in under 2 minutes in a 1 qt pan with about 1.5 in of water in it.

3. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

We bought two from wally-world for trial . the silver one was DOA , so no playing , the black one was quicker at boiling than the propane stove , used 1047-1150 watts for 4 mins while it boiled 1.5 qt/L of water @ sea level (measured with Kill-a-watt), propane was 4.5 min for same pot & liquid test.
    We have a Wood stove (heats house /water & cook stove ) in winter , propane (Premier Elite) also for mid weather . In the summer I picked one up for trials , It will use the excess solar , without propane . But for the price , & noise (internal fan ) not yet , unless I find one at a yard sale for cheap. wally wanted one benny ..
    HTH's
    Sloth

4. NightFire

NightFire Monkey

I bought one at a resale shop, it works great for any pan you can stick a magnet to. I've been using it almost exclusively for over a year. I like it so much that I plan on buying one when I remodel my kitchen.

5. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

I bought a pair of the Nuwave models. I haven't used them yet. I have friends who are happy with theirs. I will give a followup report soon.

6. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

This week, we dropped off my BIL and SIL in ABQ at the airport on Tuesday. We went up a couple of days early and shopped on Monday. God save me from Kohls!!!! They had every imaginable Food Network cooking item available.....including tons of Bobby Flay stuff!! YIKES!! But, additionally and maybe most importantly, they had the NuWave Portable Induction Cooktop (PIC 2) for $98. It came with a 9" Green skillet, so yep after consulting with Sweetie, it went home with us along with a set of Bobby Flay silverware (on sale for over 1/2 off).

I finally started using it on Thursday and promptly managed to burn some stuff in my cast iron skillet after 1st use. That sucker gets HOT! And FAST!! :)

Friday I used it to do some fry bread. Turned it way down and it worked excellently! Nicely browned. Yep, I'm impressed.
    I signed up for the NuWave cooking site and will start taking a look at their recipes today. Yeehaw!

Kajun

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7