Post Apocalypse Job Search

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by F. Ticious, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

No..It's the turtle that's the problem...What do you have ?

2. F. Ticious

F. Ticious Monkey+

It is sort of a generic turtle, I think; the shell is more like green leather than hard, so I do not know if it is ripe yet?

3. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

You do know that some have musk glands...

4. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Darn Bill, is that right or are you jerking his chain? I haven't eaten softshell before but some of Seawolf's buddies caught a little one while we were camping and I think they ate it?

5. F. Ticious

F. Ticious Monkey+

With your kind assistance, what I am coming to understand is how fruitless my previous efforts in preparedness were. I had a fairly booming practice that afforded me sufficient funds to acquire many, many firearms, vehicles, ammo that would last me a good long while, MRE's, and disk after disk of pdf that could teach me what I needed to know. Now I find myself stripped of almost every resource I had built up sans the pdf's. But even with those, I just kept downloading and downloading files, never taking the time to do more than scan them, certainly not study them or even practice what they would teach. So now, I'm ready to cook the turtle and the crayfish together and possible poison myself, all because I equated preparedness to possessions instead of knowledge. I'm sure I will have many more hungry nights ahead of me before I get the hang of this bug-out thing. I'm finding it less than practical to have to find the right pdf on the disk that might hold a needed answer at any given moment. The good news is that I am a quick study. Now that I have my basic shelter constructed, I can spend a small part of every day studying. That, combined with the guidance of my newly found survival monkey friends, might see me through some of the pitfalls in my path.

I am grateful to all of you for what Blanche Dubois called the "kindness of strangers" and most certainly, for the companionship. I never realized how much I depended on simple dialog with human beings.

I thought I had all my bases covered. Little did I know there were so many bases hidden under the sand.

Seacowboys likes this.
  6. Seacowboys

7. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

A stink turtle is not called that without reason,You perhap's call that a mud turtle in your neck of the wood's.? Softshell's are good though...Alligator,Snapper's...Good to go...

8. Seacowboys

Sounds like a soft-shell turtle, they don't ripen, just boil it and eat everything that isn't bone or poop.

9. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

10. F. Ticious

F. Ticious Monkey+

Mr Seacowboys, this may seem like a stupid question but how do you distinguish turtle poop? I caught a fish and when I gutted it, there was a lot of green slimy, semi-solid stuff in it's gut. I wasn't sure if this was edible or not so I threw out the whole fish. Do turtles have similar digestive systems to fish? And how do I tell what's safe to consume?

11. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Some of the better meat is the jaw muscle...

12. Seacowboys

Best bet is just to throw out all the stuff on the inside and just eat the flesh. You can eat it all if you are actually starving but I would really have to be hungry to eat fish innards.

13. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Frank, you haven't really given us much information about the natural resources of your environment. I understand you op-sec concerns but if we knew just a little more, we might have more suggestions that will make your life more tolerable

14. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Seacowboys, Cephus and RightHand like this.
  15. Chongsoft Army!!!!!

Chongsoft Army!!!!! Hung Far Low Tea Bagger

You funny guy Frank Lee. I have autograph numchuck from Bruce Lee.
    He no joke.

Alpha Dog and RightHand like this.
  16. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Hey there Chong - nice of you to stop in, long time no see. Don't go confusing Frank Lee. We're trying to help him get a the right path toward survival

17. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

We need to add that turtle vid to the archives. (And the first two --) Right up there with monkeyman's how to's.

Gator 45/70, RightHand and Cephus like this.
  18. Cephus

Cephus Monkey+++ Founding Member

Frank Lee ,you got a cousin named Chello !!!! LMAO
    Can hardly wait to see these two together ,it should create a novel !!!

Alpha Dog and Gator 45/70 like this.
  19. Pyrrhus

Pyrrhus Monkey+++

Seriously? You guys haven't figured out that this is F. Ticious' (fictitious) attempt at ridiculing preppers? Whew.

Alpha Dog likes this.
  20. RightHand

For the first few posts, I had similar thoughts but as Frank has loosened up and become a little less "macho", his questions are spawning some interesting discussions. I say, cut the guy some slack

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7