Post Apocalypse Job Search

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by F. Ticious, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Falc; is that you?

2. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

I'm thinking M.

3. Chongsoft Army!!!!!

Chongsoft Army!!!!! Hung Far Low Tea Bagger

ha Ha! All of your IP berong to me. Seacowpearl is not only roundeye get croned today. You pay me - i set you free.

Sent from China using IPhone crone.

4. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Arpha Dog

Arpha Dog.....arr time use in leading lisible joke is birrabre!! HAHAHAHA!!!!

5. F. Ticious

F. Ticious Monkey+

My name is Frank Lee and I don't give a damn if you do not understand yet. It doesn't matter if you like me or not, I am not about popularity and I certainly am not trying to sell you anything. I am a moderately financially successful member of our litigious society that heavily invested in the internet survival lifestyle and have found myself in a position where I have lost all of my preparations with the exception of a few items cached in an undisclosed woodland site and am trying to rebuild in a TEOTWAWKI world. You can't offend me because you don't know me so I do not respond to meanies other than with kindness.

I have a link to the information super-highway, such as it is, and a collection of survival .pdfs that is amazing but I haven't read nearly any of them yet. I have come to recognize that I am a total neophyte and probably more gullible than I wish to believe so I might try any mean-spirited ill-advice given but I am seriously reaching for ways and means to over-come these obstacles. If you think "Simm CIty" in a post apocalyptic world, then you might actually enjoy the game,but do not be surprised if your own IP address shows up to confuse the site administrators, they need exercise too. Frank Lee

6. Seacowboys

I think I get it; you have security issues and have already been a victim that narrowly escaped with his life, the supplies you had cached are ill-advised from internet super survivors such as "Gunkid" and not very practical, you do not have any financial means of barter or maybe it doesn't exist yet in the world that you now live in so all you have to barter are minimal skills, labor, and what you can find or gather around you? If I am correct in this, I'll bet you are Perry Mason: it's a very innovative means of revitalizing the general survival area that seems to have recently been taken over by product reviews.

7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

No. I'm not creative enough to pull this off, and way less of a geek than needed to use TOR as a cloak.

8. Seacowboys

You mentioned that you have a supply of 00 buckshot and slugs but no ammunition suitable for the game around you? While rocks might suffice as a means of close-range bird-shot, you might consider melting some of the slugs using a can. A hole punched into the bottom would allow molten lead to drop from the crucible. If you were to do this over water, you could manage to produce some chilled shot and use some type of wadding to hold the shot inside the shells when reloaded. You would have to use your Benelli as a single shot though, I don't think it would cycle as a semi-automatic with these primitive reloads but if you good at it, who knows? You could certainly load the rest of the magazine tube with buck and slugs after the first reload is fired. It occurs to me that you might actually use heat to recrimp the 00 buck shells after a reload? I haven't tried this but I believe it would work.

chelloveck likes this.
  9. F. Ticious

F. Ticious Monkey+

I found salt! I am so excited. There is a fenced in area just down stream of here that has cows in it and I found a block of something that the cows were licking. I scraped some off and tasted it and it apparently is some type of brown salt. I scraped off a large amount to get to where the cows haven't licked yet but now have a supply of salt! I would have left a wheel-barrow of bat poop to trade for what I took but figured the cows probably produce all the poop they might need.
    Thank you for the shotgun reloading advice Mr. Cowboy, I will attempt to make some birdshots and can maybe use a heated rock to seal the crimps but I might should be cautious about applying heat to the end that explodes.

10. Redneck Rebel

Redneck Rebel Monkey++

[peep]

11. Redneck Rebel

Redneck Rebel Monkey++

12. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

You have to admit this thread has been entertaining and informative!
    And no mention of a "Superior AR15 and .22 conversion kit".

Alpha Dog, chelloveck, oldawg and 7 others like this.
  13. F. Ticious

F. Ticious Monkey+

I have found what I believe to be an edible plant; it is Poke Weed. Can anyone tell me the parts that are nutricious? May I eat poke weed raw or does it need to be cooked? Can it be dried to store? There appears to be quite a lot of it near my cow field but I do not see cows eating them, is this a bad sign? Also, can wild cows be milked? How would I entice one near enough to get some milk?

14. Catullus

Catullus Monkey+++

Well at least if there are cows nearby you won't starve...

If you have any rope you can try tying one to a tree. Just make sure its not a bull...

Seacowboys likes this.
  15. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I believe our southern contingent can speak about Pokeweed better than I, it not finding it's way to most northern tables, but I did find some interesting information in Wikipedia:

"Phytolacca americana (American pokeweed, pokeweed, poke) is used as a folk medicine and as food. For many decades, poke salad has been a staple of southern U.S. cuisine.[13] All parts of it are toxic unless properly prepared.[14] Toxic constituents which have been identified include the alkaloids phytolaccine and phytolaccotoxin, as well as a glycoprotein.[15] Pokeweed berries yield a red ink or dye, which was once used by aboriginal Americans to decorate their horses.[citation needed] Many letters written home during the American Civil War were written in pokeberry ink; the writing in these surviving letters appears brown.[citation needed] The red juice has also been used to symbolize blood, as in the anti-slavery protest of Benjamin Lay.[citation needed] A rich brown dye can be made by soaking fabrics in fermenting berries in a hollowed-out pumpkin.[citation needed]
    Some pokeweeds are also grown as ornamental plants, mainly for their attractive berries; a number of cultivars have been selected for larger fruit panicles.[citation needed]
    Pokeweeds are used as food plants by the larvae of some Lepidoptera species including Giant Leopard Moth.[citation needed]
    "

Thanks for asking Frank - I've never studied up on Pokeweed before. I hope someone can tell us the proper preparation to avoid the toxic effect

16. carly28043

carly28043 Monkey+

Poke Weed can be eaten cooked. Avoid the berries and roots. Don't eat any leaves or stems that are pink. Eat it only when green. This should avoid the toxins. Poke salad is a southern dish best in early spring when the plants are young. Chop up the stems and leaves. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Pour the water off. Do this a couple of times. Then cook with whatever seasonings you have.

17. F. Ticious

F. Ticious Monkey+

Ms RH? Will cow poop wor as abuilding material or only bull poop? There appears to be an abundance of cow poop in the field that I found and my cedar bough lean-to isn't nearly as rain proof as the .pdf would have you believe. In fact, I am considering returning to the bat-cave, at least until this rain ceases. I believe I might be catching a cold or sniffle.

18. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Cow poop is in many ways superior to bull poop - as are most things related to the females of any species. LOL Just adding a little humor Frank.

You can mix the wet poop, not gender specific, with dried grass or straw, and a little red mud if it's available, form the mixture into blocks as you would a clay brick or slabs, and dry it in the sun. You can also build a small earthen oven to further dry the block. It's important to remove all of the moisture. this is an excellent building material but make sure it is well dried first or you will curse the day I mentioned cow poop blocks.

chelloveck likes this.
  19. larryinalabama

larryinalabama Monkey++

Head back to the bat cave and get Robin and the bat mobile the world willl soon be yours

20. F. Ticious

F. Ticious Monkey+

Thank you Mr. Bruce, for just sayin’ in your private message to me. What does YMMV mean? I do not know how long I can remain on line today because it is raining very hard and I had to return to the cave. I did manage to take your suggestion and construct raised bedding from the cedar boughs that were formerly my lean-to. You were correct that it does tend to keep the crawly insects away. As it turns out, cave crickets are disgusting to eat, at least raw. It is cold and damp in here, even several feet outside the opening and my sniffles have migrated to sneezes and I can feel a cough wanting to form. I did not remember to bring dry firewood into the hole last night and I am having difficulty building a fire this morning or I would roast some of these crickets and boil the green parts of the pokeweed I found yesterday. It is now very wilted, does this impact the nutritional value?

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7