Potted meat

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by NoOzone, Mar 19, 2011.

Tags:
  1. NoOzone

NoOzone Monkey+

I had no idea what potted meat was until I bought a few cans at Wallyworld, about .40 cents a can. A 3 oz can is comperable to a 5oz can of tuna in protein and calories per can, but the potted meat is much higher in fat and sodium.

I opened a can and the family tried it...not bad, not great tasting. We all agreed potted meat tastes like spam mousse[drooling], and decided it was pretty good on crackers. So it will probably make it into our BOB's, as it doesn't need a can opener or need to be heated to be "enjoyed."

Alot of calories, fat and its small size makes it an ideal addition to a BOB, but perhaps we'll need another quart of water per can consumed due to the sodium.

Anyone else have potted meat in their plans?[stirpot]

2. Wolfgang2000

Wolfgang2000 Monkey++

I grew up on that stuff, that is till I read the contents. Now it just states"meat by products". Don't EVER try to figure out what "meat by products are"! :shock:

3. NoOzone

NoOzone Monkey+

[drooling]
    Listen Wolfie, there are 0 carbs and 0 trans fats in potted meat. In my book, that qualifies as health food (I'm on the Atkins lifestyle).[drooling][drooling]

4. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Ignorance is Soooo blissful.

5. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

Like the hamburgers they serve a fast food joints it is rendered meat, made out finely ground bone, all the junk of the animal. But it won't make you sick because they treat it with Ammonia to kill the germs. UHMMM! All that salt and fat will give you heart problems, and it would kill me, I have CHF from being brought up on that stuff. To each his own.

6. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

If it was all I had to eat that would be one thing, otherwise [yukface]

Like Wolfgang2000 I had my fair share of that stuff growing up. Now that I have a choice, no thanks.

7. NoOzone

NoOzone Monkey+

I'm thinking my take on potted meat has been mis-interpreted. Just saying for a 72 hour BOB this may be an alternative to tuna, cold spagetti-O's, or pork and beans. It's not like eating curdled cattle blood- milk like the Africans eat. For a few days or weeks, to get by...yeah, I can do it. For a lifestyle...it would be tough.

Even in tough times, it helps to have a sense of humor. Guess the emoticons didn't help make my point.[loco]

8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Give "Me" a few cans of Vienea Sausage, and I am good for a couple of days....

9. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

No sir, no misunderstanding at all. Maybe you did not read my 1st sentence in my posting.

Since I am not a special diet and can eat just about anything I would buy something different other than potted meat, that's all. I did not mean any offense towards you, whatsoever. [beer]

Does that mean what I might buy because I was on a limited budget be much healthier, probably not.

10. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Yeah, I would eat just about anything if I had to. I wouldn't drink my own urine, however.

11. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

But you could, and safely. Urine is sterile (unless you have a bladder infection.) You can "recycle" it a couple times before it becomes too concentrated with waste products to hydrate you enough to stay healthy.

12. Wolfgang2000

Wolfgang2000 Monkey++

I'm not knocking it. Potted meat and Mayo makes a great sandwich. I read the lable when I was a teenager. I was in my 20's before I started eating it again.

13. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

As unappetizing as it sounds, I imagine most of us would eat it if it held starvation at bay

14. IndieMama

IndieMama Monkey+++

I've never had it. I think we'll stick with tuna, white chicken meat, and sardines for BOB situations/packs. But I also keep anchovies, salmon and clams all canned and in stock, too for long term. That other stuff just doesn't look very enjoyable.

15. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I've never had it either and based on the description, I'm not too likely to go out shopping for it any time soon. Heck, I don't even like spam! That said, hunger makes the most interesting things appealing

16. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Spam, spam, spam, spam. Oh how i hate spam. I'd eat it if i had to. but OMG when i was a kid it was: Spam and eggs, spam sandwiches, spam chunks in Mac and cheese. Spam with Mash potatoes, spam in casseroles.

I effing hate spam. or maybe it's just the way my mom made it. Little thicker than a credit card and could jimmy a lock with it after cooked to carbon.

As for potted meat? I'll stick to mylar pouches of salmon,tuna, chicken thanks.

Just my personal opinion. I do like herring and sardines in the tins though.[drooling]

17. Wolfgang2000

Wolfgang2000 Monkey++

Visu, sorry to hear that. IMO there are few things better than fried span sandwich. To get even better better my wife adds eggs and cheese. I don't care if it is high on fat and cholesterol, I'll die full and happy!!:D[drooling]

john316 likes this.
  18. oth47

oth47 Monkey+

I used to keep a little camping bag around with matches,trioxane,a little mess kit and a camp percolator in it.Always had a few cans of potted meat,sardines,crackers,too.Hard to beat a sandwich of potted meat,onions and tomatoes.I don't like salt so it's not my first choice,but it has its place in my goody stash.

19. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Spam is good, sliced thin and fried crisp. Sorta like bacon with an attitude. [drooling]

I don't need no steenking sides with it. (But try it on rye toast with a touch of mustard and sliced pickle.)

Quigley_Sharps likes this.
  20. Donldson

Donldson Monkey+

That's my BOB meat of choice. WalMart has them for 38 cents a can so I can buy 13 cans for less than $5. I just sit the can on the stove or fire for a couple minutes until the juice starts to boil and they are nice and warm. Not too bad on their own, but a little dab of mustard and it could almost pass for real food!

1. jefferson
  2. Hillbilly549
  3. Motomom34
  4. Thunder5Ranch
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. VHestin
  7. TnAndy
  8. DKR
  9. ColtCarbine
  10. Kingfish
  11. C.T.Horner
  12. Gopherman