Pregnancy, Babies, and Toddlers

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Motomom34, May 4, 2016.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Pregnancy, Babies, and Toddlers-

I was thrilled when I saw this article. Pregnancy, babies and toddlers are an issue of prepping that covers a span of preps that many may not have considered. I know with my children, just keeping them clothed was a chore. Plus all the health needs of children. Earaches, colic, teething..... on and on. With each month the child changes and as they change, so do their needs.

This article from Survival Mom reads more like incase of evacuation. But it does give you a start as to what you would need to consider if prepping for pregnancy, babies and toddlers. This would be a stepping stone to use as to what to prep if want to be prepared in case you have pregnancy, babies and toddlers during SHTF
    Special Needs Preppers: Pregnancy, Babies, and Toddlers - Survival Mom

** Please note: I cut & pasted the whole article- at the bottom is a few other topics that they have on special needs preppers. IMO these topics all are the first ones then expand if you need to start gathering preps for these issues.

chelloveck and Ganado like this.
  2. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

I have a two bucket birthing kit I put together with everything I thought which would be needed from birth through two weeks, including formula. Good post. I just hope the mother can nurse and we don't have two blessed events.

Yard Dart, chelloveck and Motomom34 like this.
  3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Here is a thread I found back in the stacks that told how to make baby formula.
    Recipe - How to make baby formula? | Survival Monkey Forums

If you scroll down @Rancher listed a bunch of different formulas you can make. The first one has karo syrup in it. Karo helps with colic so I think it that recipe would help from any gas issues a homemade formula would have

kellory, Yard Dart and chelloveck like this.
  4. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Would be prudent to get to know a midwife in your area.. Could be handy, if they are of like mind..

T. Riley and chelloveck like this.
  5. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

My group contains a RN, NP, and a PA each with several years experience. The NP is my daughter working on her PHD and teaching at UTMB. As long as one of them make it we will be better off than most. The RN is within 1/4 mile of my BOL and is my MIL.

Ganado, tacmotusn and Motomom34 like this.
  6. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

From the LDS...

67. Emergency Baby Formula
    1-1/3 cups boiled water
    2 teaspoons sugar
    1/4 cup dry milk
    1 tablespoon oil
    Cool boiled water to warm before adding ingredients. Combine milk and sugar and stir in warm water. Beat until lump-free. (Soaking overnight will soften lumps). Mix in oil. If baby bottles are not available, formula can be spoon fed.
    Note: Do not add vitamins to formula. Do not feed honey to a baby; infant botulism can occur any time in the first year of life.

68. Emergency Baby Food
    1/4 cup cooked beans
    Pinch salt
    3/4 cup cooked rice
    1 teaspoon oil
    Additional liquid, if needed
    Cook beans and rice until very soft. Puree beans and rice together in a blender, adding liquid as needed. Liquid may be reconstituted dry milk, water drained from cooked beans, rice, or tap water. Add salt and oil. Reheat to insure food safety. Sweeten for a flavor change.
    This mixture will provide good protein and iron as well as calories. This can be fed to babies under 6 months if adequate milk is not available, but it must be pureed to a fine texture so their body can utilize the nutrients more efficiently. See note for Rice Cereal (#28).

69. Creamy Oats Baby Cereal
    4 tablespoons water
    1 teaspoon dry milk
    Pinch of salt
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1 tablespoon powdered oats
    Combine water, salt and oats and bring to a boil. Cook 2-3 minutes over medium heat. Mix together dry milk and sugar; stir into oat mixture. Remove from heat, cover and set aside 5 minutes. Can be thinned further with milk, fruit juice, or more water. Ideal for babies or sick people.

70. Baby Teething Biscuits
    1 cup water
    1 teaspoon salt
    4 tablespoons oil
    2-1/3 cups ww flour
    2-2/3 tablespoons sugar
    Combine water, oil, sugar, and salt. Add flour and mix well. Dust hands with flour and roll dough into rods 3”-4” long by 1/2” around. Bake at 325°F for 20 minutes or until hard and lightly browned. Babies under one year should not be fed wheat if it can possibly be avoided. Rice and bean flours might be added in tiny amounts for increased nutrition.

Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  7. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

@T. Riley Great recipes. I noticed the baby cereal called for powdered oat. I looked it up and it just finely ground oatmeal. I found this link How to make oat flour - the simple way! but they also said one could use a mortar & pestle.

T. Riley likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7