Prepping Is More Important Than Ever

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Yard Dart, Apr 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Tevin

Tevin Monkey+++

To me, prepping is not less or more important depending on who is in the White House. I run the same plan no matter what.

As a side note, it does bother me that for too many people prepping is all about guns. Look on any prepper forum and the discussions & mentions of firearms are everywhere. There could be a discussion about canning peaches and someone will slip in a reference to guns.

I have nothing against guns and own a few myself. But it's not my life; guns are just a small component of a larger plan. I get the feeling that if it were not for guns, some people would not prep at all.

I personally know folks who will spend 2-3 weekends a month at the range and blow through hundreds of dollars of ammo, but they won't take a one day first aid course or learn how to operate ham radio.

If you're all about guns, or any one thing for that matter, you're doing it wrong.

3M-TA3, Ura-Ki, Dunerunner and 4 others like this.
  2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I agree with @Tevin there are so many aspects of getting prepared yet firearms seem to be the focus of many. I personally am still focusing on growing, healing herbs and converting food storage (store canned goods and perishables) into freeze dried food storage.

3. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Firearms are the sexy part of survival preparedness...... and therefore it draws the most attention for many. But as noted above, it is not the most important aspect of prepping.... but it is a key component to self-determination in the aftermath and can not be ignored or marginalized. ;)

Ura-Ki, Dunerunner, Sgt Nambu and 2 others like this.
  4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Prep'ing should be "A way of Life" not something you do that depends on other outside stimuli.....

3M-TA3, Ura-Ki, Dunerunner and 6 others like this.
  5. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I prep because the eminent surprise of earth quake always exists .
    There are disasters all the time and there is no reason to thnk any less.
    I haven't finished half the projects ahead of me , which keeps me sharp (some what).

6. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I think @BTPost nailed it. It truly is 'A Way of Life' and how one lives one's life. I never knew I was prepping until someone used the term on me. I just was trying to be prepared, something I learned very young, 'hope for the best but prepare for the worse.' And, that cannot be a bad thing, no way. So, while I have felt much better about life in general with the presidential election behind us and its outcome, I still went ahead and purchased another $500+ worth of freeze-dried within the last couple of weeks plus some field gear (poncho/liner/canteen/etc.). And, will continue to do more, all the time, each and every day.... I know we need a first aid refresher but can't find a course around here that's worth a crap...I think it's due to fear of lawsuits. They do offer a CPR course which we'll take this Spring/Summer when wife returns. We missed the Winter one...

Tully Mars and Dunerunner like this.
  7. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I agree about the Gun side of Prepping, Most of us do know better, but like was said, Guns are the sexy side. When I was a young man, I rarely ever thought about a gun, other then hunting, or traveling through the woods. I carried a 1911 standard single stack or a colt python .357 and never gave much thought to arming my self up beyond that, I focused ( and still do) on collecting fine hunting rifles, and historic Black Powder arms. When I retired in 08, the entire world had changed while I was in the service, the revolver or the 1911 single stack was now relegated to secondary duty as a back up. I wanna state for the record right here and right now, I HATE as civilian, I STILL HAVE TO WEAR A GUN!!!!! I hate it, I really really do, but life has changed, and the threats we now face are very real and very close. THIS has forced me to change the way I live and what and how I prep. When I was a kid, I studied what my Grand Parents did, it wasn't so much "Prepping" it was just a way of life for them. They always put away food and other things that might be harder to come by some times, and they saved every thing that might be useful at some point later on. I modeled my life style around what I learned from them. Unfortunately, I have had to make some "adjustments" along the way. I had a chance to talk with Grand Dad before he passed, and he was shocked and sad to see the world he and his generation were passing down to us. He lamented that even after the war ( WW-2) he never carried a gun unless he was traveling or was hunting and needed protection from Highway men, or 4 legged predators! He sadly laughed at my observation that the guns we used to rely on were now the guns we carried as back up!!!
    SO yea, the gun thing gets over done at times, but I think ( and I fit in here as well) that guns as a part of survival and prepping, are a new experience to many of us that have chosen to include a gun as a part of daily life, and this can be seen in our discussions here and other places! It's a relative new concept for many of us, and takes some time and adjusting to get used to! Fortunately, along with my training and life's experiences, I have been able to integrate the gun back into my life, my new life as it were, and, I am learning every day exactly what this means for any future I may yet have to face!

GOG and Tully Mars like this.
  8. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

The only reason to focus on guns right now are the deals due to overproduction and people liquidating under the incorrect assumptions that they are no longer needed. Skills and knowledge should always be your number one priorities and rarely cost anything at all just your time.

My thoughts are to prep in order for the things that can kill you before other things:
    1. A bullet (less than a second)
    2. Poison gas (will likely kill you before you realize what's up and can find your mask) or lack of oxygen.
    3. Bleeding out from a wound (accidental or combat)
    4. Hypothermia
    5. Dehydration
    6. Illness
    7. Starvation
      1. resolve short term with stored food
      2. resolve long term with food production
    8. Lack of vitamins and nutrients; salt
    9. Chronic illness
    So, I prioritize in that order by achieving a milestone before moving to the next one, then keep repeating. For example number 1 pass 1 might be a single firearm with x amount of ammunition, maybe a Ruger 10/22 and 500 rounds of ammo and then go to a First Aid book and some simple supplies for number 3, etc..

These priorities don't include things like communications, but it is an essential force multiplier to pretty much all of them.

Another factor is that you can't cover all bases by yourself, so you will need additional knowledge, skills and resources from others. You will have to at a minimum need to be able to trade for services or have resources compelling enough to have others join your team on a more permanent basis. During SHTF a doctor or nurse could write their own ticket. Having the ability to protect someone with those types of skills may mean having them on your team.

GOG and Ura-Ki like this.
  9. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

I had to work with a 30 YO & a 22 YO kids , then 4 more kids showed up ,I WAS NOT THE BOSS , they needed to be told the next step every turn !!
    I'm OLD and !@#$%^&*, I had to tell the first two 30,22 to do as I say for safety !! I can fix steel or crap with $$$ , but NOT you !!
    They put themselves IN a bad situation & I work the crane ..

Prep , BUT Be aware of folks looking for a life of cash in !!
    Sloth

Ura-Ki and 3M-TA3 like this.
  10. Guy Ross

Guy Ross Monkey

Business as usual as far as I am concerned. I live in the UK, I am still doing my projects, taking courses in various self-reliance fields, acquiring gear etc.

If anything I do think that a major financial and economic collapse is getting closer by the year and months. I do agree with the article from Zero Edge the globalists have probably allowed a nationalist like Trump to be elected to be the scape goat of the public and private debts... His style will probably make it easier for them and their propaganda of the mainstream media to lay blame on him at some point when the economy will collapse. But tjat's just my 2 scents.

Ganado likes this.
  1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Yard Dart
  3. Yard Dart
  4. fl4848
  5. Motomom34
  6. Motomom34
  7. Yard Dart
  8. Yard Dart
  9. Yard Dart
  10. Coyote Ridge
  11. Motomom34