Prepping isn't just for the end of the world!

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Xocjm, Dec 26, 2015.

Tags:
  1. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Yes.

Seepalaces, Ganado and Pax Mentis like this.
  2. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Winching and Wrenching is work. I prefer Wenching. The main reason I want to be a pirate when I grow up-after all who ever heard of a Ninja with Wenches?

Motomom34, Seepalaces, Ganado and 3 others like this.
  3. CaboWabo5150

CaboWabo5150 Hell's coming with me

Our electricity was restored overnight last night. Was out for 4 days. High winds knocked trees down onto power lines all over the State, and moving to about the least populated part of the State that I could find, put us on the bottom of the power companies "to do" list.. All in all it was a barely a minor inconvenience. It meant I had to cook instead of the Mrs.. ( Being the master of the grill and all. ). Another few days and I might have had to think about maybe getting into some of our long term stuff. But as it turned out that wasn't needed. It did mean that we waited until after daylight for the kids to open Christmas presents so we could all see well enough. :) The wood stove kept the house nice and toasty, and the Mrs. had me fire up the generator on Christmas Eve so she could watch "It's a Wonderful Life" and "A Christmas Story"..... Actually, I think it made Christmas more enjoyable. Kids faces weren't glued to their devices, and with the exception of the generator running occasionally, it was very peaceful..

4. winston

winston Monkey

I agree. Prepping is about making any "bumps in the road" easier to deal with. It's about a piece of mind, it's about learning about new and fun stuff and enjoying building "the toys".

Seepalaces, Dont and kellory like this.
  5. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

A wench with a winch can give a "come-hither" that is nearly irresistible.

6. Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog survival of the breed

We get a lot of storms and in the Mountain State which causes power outages and other issues and it's nice when you are prepared for these things and you are able to keep somewhat of a normal day to day. I hate to say it and don't want to jinx myself but I also kind of enjoy being able to see where I need to improve on my prepping and skills. I enjoy showing my little girl firsthand the skills needed to help her through whatever comes her way. Plus if it goes on for a few days it gives you good bonding time with the family and the time to teach that we as Dads Or Moms don't normally get.

Motomom34, CaboWabo5150, GOG and 2 others like this.
  7. BC22

BC22 Monkey

I too experienced these storms you speak of only north of you. I currently live on a bit of an island, ok so more of a peninsula I guess. I feel sorry for all the people affected by this flooding and I am sad when I hear stories where lives and some property could have been saved with proper planning. I have lived through 3 "once in a lifetime" floods in my lifetime, and I'm not yet 30.

I am glad to hear you are safe and comfortable. Having that security sure feels nice!

8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

It really comes down to "Prior Planning".... When you made the decision to move into the place your at, Did you consider, the 100 Year FloodPlane? IS you place on a Hill, or a River Valley? If on Top of a Hill, is it near the edge, that might slide down into the Valley, in a Mudslide? Are you next to a Hill that might slide into your house, and take it off it's foundations? Did you even think about ANY of these things? If NOT then you didn't do your "Due Diligence" before plunking down your FRNs... and you deserve what you got.... I see all these "Sheeple" whining and complaining down in Commiefornia, when the Fires burn them out, and then the Rains come and the Mud Fills up their House... "Oh Look Mildred, this is such a Nice Neighborhood. all the houses have such a Nice View, and so close to the Wild Places... Just up the Hill, behind us..." I mean Duh....

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2015
  9. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

We were out of power one time many years ago for nearly a week. We had lanterns and a fireplace and we spent our time playing board games and reading books together. My oldest daughter still,some25 yrs later, talks about that time and how it is one of her favorite childhood memories.

10. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I grew up in the mountains in my teens, and the power went out regularly during the winter especially during the worst of snow storms .
    Mom and dad were raised in the mid west during the depression and learned and continued to learn and practice their prepping regularly. it is a way of life.
    Didn't need a generator , the snow compesated for the refrigerator not running; pans of water would be put out to freeze, and put in the fridge to keep things cold.
    Candles and kerosene lamps gave us light and the oil stove had it's own barrel out back, always kept full , also had a fire place for warming the house though most of the time we were in the kitchen sitting together games and such . the stove was propane and the 200 gallon tank well topped off before winter started .
    I usually spent the sumer splitting fire wood and taking care of the property , it's when I learned plumbing and how to get things apart with out wrecking it.
    Hard ware stores didn't cary every thing, so you had to learn how to make do with what you've got.
    WE had city water, but the hand dug well was the prize of the place ,we used that water for drinking and providing water if the pipes froze. Squirrels would take the insulation away from the pipes and kept me busy .
    Believe it or not the grey squirrels were protected and one could not shoot them, so you deal with it.
    It was more practical to provide them bedding and food and let things be , actually learned to tame them a bit and had them eating out of my hand .
    They would eventually disappear from crossing roads and cars, hawks and owls, so you did not worry about them multiplying.
    There are only two reasons I will kill an animal ,one posing a threat, and a desperate need for food.
    I don't discourage the wild animals around my place even though they are a source of trouble especially for my chickens ,but the fact of the matter is since this has been a safe haven for many , in the event I need to hunt for food, I needn't go far.
    I have wild doves that feed as well as hawks and owls and other birds and rabbits and coyotes and bob cats and so on.
    I have never been rich , as those that weigh money or possessions a sign if wealth, but I don't waste my resources, even garbage if any is put in the mulch / digester.
    I see a lot of poor folk but they waste their resources and or not interested in learning how to repair things that they break.

Motomom34 and HK_User like this.
  1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Yard Dart
  3. Yard Dart
  4. fl4848
  5. Motomom34
  6. Motomom34
  7. Yard Dart
  8. Yard Dart
  9. Yard Dart
  10. Coyote Ridge
  11. Motomom34